07-13-2011 04:19 PM
36 12
tools
    Here are a couple tips I have to maximize battery life. First off if new to smart phones your lucky to get a work day out of them with heavy use. Not all are like that most.

1. Turn the brightness down. Quick tip the notification bar far left is 0 far right is 100 1-99 in between. Touch the notification bar pull it down slightly and hold and brightness will adjust accordingly

2. If your not going to need use of data when driving etc. Shut off data. Your phone will last for days without a data connection. Yes it defeats the purpose of a smart phone but if your not needing it shut it off.

3. Use wifi as much as possible, I can stay connected to wifi and surf stream game etc and I can get an easy 8 hours with only using 30-40 % on the battery.

4. Download the lte switch app. If your streaming and it works find on 3g shut off the lte radio quickly, then turn it back on when you want faster browsing.

5. Check how often your widgets are refreshing.

6. If running a pop 3 mail client. Shut off the push/pull and cofigure them via gmail so that the gmail server checks every 15 minutes and your phone does not, then it will get pushed directly to your phone. Obviously if 15 minutes is a deal breaker this wont work for you.

7. Task manager (hold home key) shutdown running processes and clear ram.

8. Once there is an ee4 root program. Root your phone and get rid of all the crap that runs in the background of your phone and steals memory and battery life.

If you have any questions on any of the above feel free to pm me.

i have done all of these things long before i posted but for some reason, if i put it on airplane mode or data off, it will only last about 7 hours standby and then die. without data off it dies before my day is over. so it will die in about 4 hours standby. there is something really wrong here. and i have no rogue apps i've checked time and time again and i've data reset and used it for a day it does the same thing. WHYYYYYY
    06-17-2011 03:21 PM
    I also have crap battery and it's really frustrating... According to the battery usage thing on the phone the display uses about 70-80% of my battery though. I'm not sure if that should be the case.
    06-17-2011 04:28 PM
    Im in the same boat here i just flashed the pbj kernel, not sure how much this will help. My phone will drop 20% within an hour and thats w/ no use!! It will say that the display will be 70-80%, Dont know if my battery is screwed up or what but I dont know how you guys are making the battery last that long.
    06-17-2011 11:56 PM
    I'm having the same issue. Primed the battery, too, by letting it fully discharge once and then recharging to full -- no improvement. Have limited access to wireless and wifi, have screen brightness set to zero, animations turned off, nothing running in the background ... Virtually every time I turn on the phone and use anything for a couple of minutes, battery drops by 1-2%. I've frankly never seen anything like this. Did this device just ship with bad batteries?
    06-18-2011 08:36 AM
    If you are using a task killer of any kind.. get rid of it now. The only one you need is built into the phone. If you didn't see my link above, may wanna take a read of it and see if theres anything in there to help. Also.. "priming" your battery is NOT necessary, and can be more harmful than good. Your display will always be the biggest battery culprit acoording to your phones usage.
    06-18-2011 09:11 AM
    Brendan, I'm in the same boat as you. If I also do anything my battery will drop about a percent every minute or two. It's honestly really frustrating.
    06-18-2011 10:47 PM
    I'm having the same issue. Primed the battery, too, by letting it fully discharge once and then recharging to full -- no improvement. Have limited access to wireless and wifi, have screen brightness set to zero, animations turned off, nothing running in the background ... Virtually every time I turn on the phone and use anything for a couple of minutes, battery drops by 1-2%. I've frankly never seen anything like this. Did this device just ship with bad batteries?
    Honestly that definitely sounds like a faulty battery to me. I don't even lose 1-2% battery life every minute or two and I have animations on screen brightness at auto, I never use wifi as I don't have it at my house. I use my phone VERY frequently for calls, texts, email, web browsing, some gaming ect. And my battery easily lasts 15+ hours on a full charge. It's honestly hard to say from phone to phone/battery to battery. For some it could be a bad battery, for others it might be something faulty in the hardware of the phone. And that's only if you're having serious battery drainage after performing battery saving tips like you already have. I suggest simply demanding a replacement and not a refurb. It's still in warranty obviously and you deserve a NEW phone if something is wrong.
    06-18-2011 11:01 PM
    The biggest thing I did to improve my battery life was turn off 4g, unless I was streaming video. Nearly doubled my battery.
    06-19-2011 04:36 AM
    The biggest thing is the screen. Even with brightness set to 20% its still eats 60-70% of juice. How to deal with that.
    06-19-2011 09:30 PM
    The biggest thing is the screen. Even with brightness set to 20% its still eats 60-70% of juice. How to deal with that.
    Hands down, the screen will always be the main battery consumer... What do you expect from THE best screen out?! I think some people are just to used to "older" phones that didn't consume nearly as much battery... With all this new availability on smartphones you have to expect less battery life, for now that is... I wouldn't be suprised that in the near future a better battery will be produced and supplied in smartphones that far succeeds the current batteries supplied. Of course there are little tips and tricks to help prolong your battery that you can find throughout the forums. But honestly it's just something to get used to for now. The phone is amazing and you CAN get great battery life out if it.
    06-19-2011 11:20 PM
    Apparently people knew about this issue long before it hit the smart phone market. Google Latitude: Will it Kill your Phone’s Battery? — Mobile Technology News

So turn off Google Location Services or at least make sure Latitude is not running. If you don’t want to do that, at minimum, remove any widgets that use location services like weather or ‘Rate this place’.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...9425039c&hl=en

Google services drains battery at 38% on Nexus One? - Google Mobile Help

I’ve had my Droid Charge for about 2 months now and personally, I was averaging 11-12 hours of basic use which I thought was good. Yesterday I turned off my Google Location Services for the first time. Took the unit off the charger at 6:30pm yesterday and I’m now looking at 24% of battery left after 22hrs. Additionally, I never have VZW location on and only use GPS occasionally in the car. I also turned off Background Data in Sync but may switch those back on after this test to see what affect it really has. Running it dry tonight to see how far it will go

I use ‘My Profiles Lite’ to have one touch controls for Home, Car, Work & Night modes. Works great. If you try other apps that do this automatically, catch22, they require location services to sense where you are.
    Lucas3 likes this.
    07-13-2011 04:19 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD