Im still withing the return period for returning my phone if Im not happy with it. I would like to check out its performance with root and the bloat frozen, but I dont want to go through the whole process of flashing and recovery just to see. Something like z4root would be awesome for my situation, but I havent seen any posts here or on XDA whether or not a one click option is going to be available soon.
    Bachato likes this.
    06-16-2011 08:03 PM
    theres no need for a one click root. flash latest cwm with odin. boot to recovery and flash custom rom. the custom rom will already be rooted.
    06-16-2011 09:09 PM
    I used the method for DroidX's altered beast and you just download drives, odin, and the file. Plug in phone and hit go. Took me maybe 20 min total and trust me it transforms the phone to a whole other beast. It just flies once you are rocking Voodoo. I know its not one click but its close!
    06-17-2011 06:00 AM
    theres no need for a one click root. flash latest cwm with odin. boot to recovery and flash custom rom. the custom rom will already be rooted.
    I will not mind flashing once I decide to keep the phone. The nice thing about z4root is that it offered a temporary root.. I would be able to root, check it out, and then reboot and the phone would be returned to its stock state.
    06-17-2011 06:20 AM
    There is a link to reflash the stock package under altered beast root instructions so you could just flash back after you try it out
    06-17-2011 06:30 AM
    Exactly, you can always flash back to stock. Don't let ODIN scare you, it's just as easy as any one-click I've used on other devices.

1) Download drivers (just like you would for any phone to add music or get it to the comp)
    2) Download ODIN (very easy to use)
    3) Download package 3 EE4 Packages
    4) Flash it using ODIN

This doesn't have a ROM, but it will give you root and voodoo. You're phone will fly around 2x as fast. Check it out, play around for the day. Then flash back.

1) Disable voodoo
    2) Flash back stock package

Don't let things get complicated, IMO it's just as easy as a one-click.
    pezboy, Chris2183, love121 and 4 others like this.
    06-17-2011 07:12 AM
    Exactly, you can always flash back to stock. Don't let ODIN scare you, it's just as easy as any one-click I've used on other devices.

1) Download drivers (just like you would for any phone to add music or get it to the comp)
    4) Flash it using ODIN

This doesn't have a ROM, but it will give you root and voodoo. You're phone will fly around 2x as fast. Check it out, play around for the day. Then flash back.
    I went ahead and flashed the package in your link. It took about 15min and went smoothly(I spent more time reading and double checking everything before flashing, than I did actually flashing). I also installed Root Check, Bloatware Freezer, and Chainfire3d. Quadrant is currently 1461
    06-17-2011 07:29 PM
    Nice! Glad I could help. Once you overcome the initial fear from all the warnings and seemingly complex instructions, you find it's actually pretty easy!

Let us know if you like the Charge enough to keep after seeing it move at it's full potential.
    06-18-2011 11:14 AM
    Yea its an entirely different beast on Voodoo, it just makes the phone so slick! Just need DroidX to bust out with the upgraded Altered Beast and life will be good!
    06-18-2011 01:34 PM

4) Flash it using ODIN

1) Disable voodoo
    2) Flash back stock package

Don't let things get complicated, IMO it's just as easy as a one-click.
    Which package am I supposed to download? I'm confused which "package 3" you're referring to.

How does voodo make it faster exactly, just curious
    06-23-2011 12:49 PM
    Which package am I supposed to download? I'm confused which "package 3" you're referring to.

How does voodo make it faster exactly, just curious
    Package you need
    http://www.androphiles.com/files/and...do_DXC.tar.rar

Voodoo changes the file system from the Samsung RFS system to the standard Linux EXT file system which is faster and more efficient
    06-23-2011 06:22 PM
    If I use this method will my SD card be screwed up
    07-08-2011 10:10 PM
    Im still withing the return period for returning my phone if Im not happy with it. I would like to check out its performance with root and the bloat frozen, but I dont want to go through the whole process of flashing and recovery just to see. Something like z4root would be awesome for my situation, but I havent seen any posts here or on XDA whether or not a one click option is going to be available soon.
    irf you need help rooting the ee4 update i can help you it is very easy with odin and recovery and voodo root flash files
    07-10-2011 03:17 PM
    irf you need help rooting the ee4 update i can help you it is very easy with odin and recovery and voodo root flash files
    Sorry noob here,

Just got my Charge, got the OTA EE4 update and installed.

So what would be simple instructions to root, install clockwork recovery, and a kernel w/voodoo fix?

Have no problems flashing or using odin but am just confused on all the links and files needed for this procedure.

Thanks in advance
    07-22-2011 02:14 PM
    Sorry noob here,

Just got my Charge, got the OTA EE4 update and installed.

So what would be simple instructions to root, install clockwork recovery, and a kernel w/voodoo fix?

Have no problems flashing or using odin but am just confused on all the links and files needed for this procedure.

Thanks in advance
    [HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4

Very well organized and descriptive procedure to root EE4.
    07-23-2011 10:45 AM
    Nice! Glad I could help. Once you overcome the initial fear from all the warnings and seemingly complex instructions, you find it's actually pretty easy!

Let us know if you like the Charge enough to keep after seeing it move at it's full potential.
    Thank you very much sir. As a side note, this update caused my opening annimation to look kinda weird but otherwise all is well and better.
    09-05-2011 08:07 AM
    Just got a TouchPad over the weekend so I need to root my Charge for the free wifi tethering. Going to give these instructions a shot. I have only used one click methods in the past and have no experience with Odin so wish me luck!

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk
    09-06-2011 11:26 AM
    Finally flashed my charge. Thanks Chris2183 for the info! Had no problem flashing from a Windows 7 Pro 32-bit SP1 VM under VMware Fusion running on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

One unexpected thing I ran into was I was put into a CWM menu after reboot. I just selected reboot (power button selects). It took maybe 10 minutes to reboot the first time (the voodoo fix I assume). Subsequent reboots have been much faster, especially after freezing a good bit of bloatware (used the list here (xda-developers)). I did notice that the boot animation is goofed up, but I think it's just running a lot faster.

When freezing apps I accidentally deleted Twlauncher (not a problem since I use a different launcher). Can I just extract that file from the tar.md5 file I flashed with Odin and push it with adb so it's there for future upgrades?
    09-09-2011 09:27 PM
    yeah you should be able to do that no problem. Just make sure you put it in the right place and you should be good to go
    cmarks03 likes this.
    09-09-2011 10:07 PM
    Finally flashed my charge. Thanks Chris2183 for the info! Had no problem flashing from a Windows 7 Pro 32-bit SP1 VM under VMware Fusion running on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
    Credit goes to mboverst. He provided the appropriate link and laid out the instructions very clearly.
    09-09-2011 10:41 PM
    Credit goes to mboverst. He provided the appropriate link and laid out the instructions very clearly.
    Whoops... My bad.

Thanks mboverst!

And thanks piizzadude for the confirmation of my suspicions!
    09-09-2011 11:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD