Just got my Droid Charge a few days ago. If I decide to root now, how much of a pain in the *** will it be to re-root when gingerbread comes out. Would I have to restore the phone to factory settings and update or would it be a simple process where I wouldn't have to have anything erased?
    06-25-2011 07:50 PM
    [QUOTE=noobsickle;1032108]Just got my Droid Charge a few days ago. If I decide to root now, how much of a pain in the *** will it be to re-root when gingerbread comes out. Would I have to restore the phone to factory settings and update or would it be a simple process where I wouldn't have to have anything erased?[/QUOTE

Root now cause its going to be a longtime before you see Gingerbread.
    06-26-2011 11:23 AM
    Not to mention the developers will prob get gingerbread on this phone long before Verizon, it takes a while to cram that much crapware into an update!
    zman6900 likes this.
    06-26-2011 02:03 PM
    as slow as samsung is with updates there is no way I would wait for GB
    06-26-2011 09:24 PM
    Root it now as it will be easy to update I'm sure. However it will require a full wipe of the device I'm sure tho.

as for the comments about GB and Samsung. Better think again there is a build already done for the Charge and it will not be that long before it is pushed out. P3Droid of TBH has already posted a video of his Charge running a GB build. That said it is time for folks to forget the old and deal with the new when thinking of Samsung. There have made drastic changes internally from my understadning to get devices updated and moving forward much faster then in the past.
    06-27-2011 09:17 AM
    as slow as samsung is with updates there is no way I would wait for GB
    Could be sooner than much, much later...
    06-27-2011 11:32 AM
    Root it now as it will be easy to update I'm sure. However it will require a full wipe of the device I'm sure tho.

as for the comments about GB and Samsung. Better think again there is a build already done for the Charge and it will not be that long before it is pushed out. P3Droid of TBH has already posted a video of his Charge running a GB build. That said it is time for folks to forget the old and deal with the new when thinking of Samsung. There have made drastic changes internally from my understadning to get devices updated and moving forward much faster then in the past.
    I seem to remember reading a few weeks ago that a Samsung executive said they learned from their mistakes with the Fascinate. I think they will do better with the Charge, but only time will tell.
    06-27-2011 12:14 PM
    I seem to remember reading a few weeks ago that a Samsung executive said they learned from their mistakes with the Fascinate. I think they will do better with the Charge, but only time will tell.
    Yep, and within the next day or so I'll bet we will see a GB leaked for us to use already. IE long before VZW / Samsung are ready to push out the final build. And yes it is rooted and so forth already just some bugs need t obe worked out before we see it
    06-27-2011 12:52 PM
    Go ahead and root it now, its easy enough to flash back to stock. Always flash to stock ed1 with Odin, then accept the latest OTA to get the latest basebands, then flash any package with a custom kernel, CWM, and a compatible ROM (or you can do this individually, just make sure they're Odin tarballs and not zips). That won't change no matter what updates there are, and flashing new kernels and roms is still gonna be the same. We may see a stable GB soon from Team Black Hat, or we may get an official release from Verizon, but either way its no problem. Anything that a dev does will include instructions about how you flash it and what you can flash it over, anything official is just flash back to stock and accept the OTA.

Keep in mind that if we get an official OTA of GB soon, you likely won't want to accept it right away, as it may include extra spyware like Moto's GB does restricting how you use the phone and data that you pay for, and it would likely be a week or two minimum before it was rooted or had any custom ROM's built from it. Something from a dev won't have those issues, but likely won't be stable right away, so either way you won't be flashing right when it comes out if this is your only phone.
    06-27-2011 01:01 PM
    Hey, sorry, I am not trying to steal this thread, but is there a possibility of issues if I do not have the latest baseband on my phone? I am running Gummycharged based off of EE4 but I still have the ED1 baseband. Se there any problems that could occur later? Thanks!

Sent from my DROID Charge
    06-27-2011 01:05 PM
    Hey, sorry, I am not trying to steal this thread, but is there a possibility of issues if I do not have the latest baseband on my phone? I am running Gummycharged based off of EE4 but I still have the ED1 baseband. Se there any problems that could occur later? Thanks!

You should have two baseband's listed. The first should read EE4 - that's for the 4G LTE. The second should read ED1 - that's for CDMA.
    06-27-2011 04:18 PM
    Sorry, I worded that confusingly. I never did the OTA to EE4 so I have all the ED1 basebands but the EE4 firmware because of Gummycharged. This is what it looks like:

Could this cause any problems in the long run?

06-27-2011 05:18 PM
    Well samsung has not learned anything yet, they say they have but we will have to wait and see.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to see a GB leak or even see it come out officially but until I see it happen it is all rumors. Fact is they are KNOWN for being late with updates and until they show us otherwise there is no reason to think that has changed.

Just like with the TB launch, how many times did we read HTC said it will be out on this date or so and so from verizon said it will be out on that date and week after week when those dates past we heard it all over again.

Again none of this is against anything anyone said and I do hope you are right but I have become a pessimistic person when it comes to these things
    06-27-2011 06:38 PM
    Not as long as you think..
    http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/27...ased-on-video/

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    06-27-2011 08:27 PM
    Oh I think the leak will be out well before the official
    06-27-2011 09:04 PM
    Trust me I know for a fact it will be leaked before official from VZW / Samsung. I know who has the file right now and have seen it myself personally. Just have not flashed it becasue there is a couple of bugs being worked on, plus I want a rooted version before playing with it.
    06-28-2011 08:08 AM
    Sorry, I worded that confusingly. I never did the OTA to EE4 so I have all the ED1 basebands but the EE4 firmware because of Gummycharged. This is what it looks like:

In the long run, Your not running the newest radio's etc. So your not getting any of the benefits of the update. When you go to do the next update your going to need to wipe everything and start over anyway. So next time you do. Flash ED-1 then let the OTA's get you current then Do what ever kernel/rom you chose.

On A side not my base bands are .EE4 & .EE1 I was ota'd to EE4 then PBJ &Gummy 1.8.1

RS
    06-28-2011 09:23 AM

You'll want to update that if you are in an LTE (4G) area. That's your LTE radio, and they're supposed to have fixed some bugs in moving from the ED1 to the EE4 baseband. If you are not in an LTE area and only run CDMA for data, you should be fine.
    06-28-2011 10:31 AM

Well as an FYI there will be a GB build on the float for use on the charge within the next fews hours.
    chadness likes this.
    06-28-2011 11:22 AM
    Team Black Hat has apparently just released Gingerbread via their app. Can't try it out here at work just yet, but am excited to!
    06-28-2011 01:16 PM
    Thanks, I will make sure to do that later this week as I am smack in the middle of an LTE area. Thanks for all the help!

06-28-2011 07:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD