Medscape doesn't work with custom ROMs

tintn00

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
And I finally figured out why. I think some of these custom ROMs have built-in adblockers. Medscape won't install and work properly when these adblockers are active. It says something about internet connectivity issue. Anyway it took me awhile to figure out why Medscape wasn't working, so if anyone else was wondering why, I thought I'd share the info. The same problem arises when I install adblocking apps on stock EE4 too.

tintn00

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I forgot to include on how to fix this problem with medscape. Your phone needs to be rooted. Transfer the file called 'host' from /etc and /system/etc to your PC. Then edit the two files and remove any line that includes 'medscape'. Then transfer the two 'host' files back to their original folders on your phone and overwrite. You cannot edit and save the two files by editing on your phone. I had to do it on my PC.

tacw

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Awesome this worked! Thank you! Here are my exact steps:

0. Do a full nandroid backup/titanium backup before you begin.
1. Must have S-OFF to edit system files. Can use ES File Explorer.
2. Hosts wasn't present in my /etc folder (apparently there can be a symbolic link there?). Find "hosts" in /system/etc; cut and paste it onto your SD card.
3. Rename it hosts.txt on your phone.
4. Access SD card via your computer. Copy hosts.txt to your computer as a backup just in case.
5. Open hosts.txt and CTRL+F "medscape"
6. Delete anything that looks like "ad.medscape.com", "bi.medscape.com", etc. I had 3 to delete. I just left everything else alone. Leave one space in the place where each one is deleted.
7. Reverse the process!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If it was indeed the adblocker custom host file in the custom ROM causing the problem all you need to do is download and install something like ADBlocker for rooted devices.

Then select REVERT from the options. That will remove the custom HOST file from the device/ROM.

Yes its really that simple...

MennJiJo

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
In my Galaxy Note running ICS 4.0.3, there's only a single line in the 'hosts' file, at \etc or \system\etc, and that line is '127.0.0.1 localhost'.

gusbilly

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been an iphone user since the first iphone. I need a big screen to read medical sites and book. SO i got the lenovo s930. It will not install Medscape. exactly which adblock app should I install and could you walk me through the steps. This is new to em. Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay