11-27-2013 09:17 PM
48 12
tools
    So should the average person wait a while to root? Is there any real danger in rooting? I was on Gnex before so there wasn't a need.
    09-13-2013 01:27 PM
    Depends on what you want to do. If you want to remove bloat only, then there is no reason to root at this time because it's not possible. If you want to use wifi tether with your unlimited data plan, then yes, you should root. If you want to ROM you're nuts but there is no need to root right now. Many of the root apps will work but not all because you can't w/r yet.

Also, if you root, it's pretty much a one click method to root/unroot so I can't really see any danger.
    superxero044 likes this.
    09-13-2013 01:41 PM
    Yeah the only thing I'm really interested in is wifi tether - as I was able to on GNex. Then maybe replacing the wireless charge sound and the boot sound...

Thanks for the info!
    09-13-2013 01:43 PM
    Yeah the only thing I'm really interested in is wifi tether - as I was able to on GNex. Then maybe replacing the wireless charge sound and the boot sound...

Thanks for the info!
    As soon as it's possible I'm replacing the whole boot animation with the Moto X boot animation. That is a pretty amazing boot animation.
    xweb10 likes this.
    09-13-2013 01:58 PM
    I am also interested to know if Google Wallet will work with root.
    I thought the reply you received was a little short. Here is an explanation of what they are talking about:
    The file system of your phone is based on the Linux / Unix operating system
    All the folders and files have permissions, or access rights assigned to them such as who can see and change them.
    The "root" user has the ability to see and change all files. When you root your phone you get the ability to make changes as the "root" user.
    Applications must be installed in certain locations and the app must have access to files in other locations to run properly. The present method of gaining root does not yet allow access to those locations. Plus our friends at Verizon also install other little roadblocks to prevent running certain apps like Google Wallet from working.This is in in violation of FCC rulings by the way.
    yidfixy, skatergirl and xweb10 like this.
    09-13-2013 02:13 PM
    Ok ... So if you are rooted when Verizon sends out KitKat OTA, can you get that update?
    Likely no, but it depends on how their update is setup. 3rd party ROMS definitely don't get OTA, and sometimes rooted devices don't get them. But the nice thing here is you can unroot with 1-click.
    skatergirl likes this.
    09-13-2013 02:16 PM
    Okay, I want to root but need a little bit better instructions. What is meant by, "2. Install it by typing: 'adb install -r motoroot.apk' (Note: filenames vary by device)." Just where do you type this command?
    09-13-2013 03:40 PM
    Okay, I want to root but need a little bit better instructions. What is meant by, "2. Install it by typing: 'adb install -r motoroot.apk' (Note: filenames vary by device)." Just where do you type this command?
    I just watched the youtube video of this root. It looks really easy

[Root] Moto X (All Carriers) - Update 9/13/2013 - Version 1.1 - xda-developers
    09-13-2013 03:55 PM
    Can someone confirm a method for wifi tether with this root access?
    09-13-2013 03:56 PM
    Can someone confirm a method for wifi tether with this root access?
    WiFi Tether for Root users works (Device Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0), Setup Method: Auto; Wifi driver reload, MSS Clamping, and Routing fix all checked)
    and
    the built-in tethering also works after modifying "entitlement check" value from 1 to 0
    phathands likes this.
    09-13-2013 04:19 PM
    If you are looking into how to disable your capacitive buttons, download this app and they go away.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...butnbrightness

Problem is, the dim doesn't work and it does not let you set up scenarios, as in when I'm watching videos shut them off. It just shuts them off. In fact, you can't turn them back on unless you disable the app or uninstall it. But if you are one of the people that hated the capacitive buttons always being on, it may be for you.
    09-13-2013 04:48 PM
    WiFi Tether for Root users works (Device Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0), Setup Method: Auto; Wifi driver reload, MSS Clamping, and Routing fix all checked)
    and
    the built-in tethering also works after modifying "entitlement check" value from 1 to 0
    Nice. I am monitoring this thread! Thanks to all here!

Sent from my DROID MAXX
    09-13-2013 05:37 PM
    I am afraid I need some help. I tapped on the MotoRoot 1.1 Verizon apk and it downloaded. Lookout Mobile Security didn't like the file but I over rode that. Now I am getting an error message. The message says, "App not installed. An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed." What did I do? How do I fix this?
    09-13-2013 07:07 PM
    It sounds like you are downloading the motoroot file to your phone, but you need to download it to a computer with adb installed. You then use the computer to install the .apk onto the phone. At least that's the only way I know to do it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Aquila likes this.
    09-13-2013 10:15 PM
    If you dont have at least a basic understanding of adb, the inner workings of your phone, and are comfortable working at the command line as well as the associated risks I would avoid rooting. If something goes wrong you would be unable to recover and be the proud owner of a $700 brick. Even with this knowledge I would wait till the bugs are worked and info on how to recover if something bad happens have been posted. Even then carefully weigh the advantages you might gain by rooting.
    skatergirl likes this.
    09-13-2013 11:01 PM
    If you dont have at least a basic understanding of adb, the inner workings of your phone, and are comfortable working at the command line as well as the associated risks I would avoid rooting. If something goes wrong you would be unable to recover and be the proud owner of a $700 brick. Even with this knowledge I would wait till the bugs are worked and info on how to recover if something bad happens have been posted. Even then carefully weigh the advantages you might gain by rooting.
    First off you don't need your computer to install this and second you don't have to type anything either.

Before you start go into settings--->Security and screen Lock--->scroll down to Unknown sources and put a check mark there. Now go to XDA and download the Root APK and the SU that's on that site. Install the Root APK and let your phone reboot. Now install the SU APK but don't launch it. Your done! You can test it by using Titanium Back up just download it from the Play store.

Hope this helps! It takes about 2 minutes to complete.
    skatergirl likes this.
    09-14-2013 12:26 PM
    I don't know why this is being so difficult for me. It should be EASY! On my phone I downloaded the MotoRoot 1.1 Verizon .apk. Lookout Security doesn't like the file by the way. I override that. It appears to download okay. Then I touch OPEN. It then says at the top MotoRoot. Underneath it says "Do you want to install an update to this built-in application?" I touch the install button. It then says "Installing...." but a warning pops up that this app may harm your device. I check the box that says I understand and again touch the Install button. Almost instantly a screen pops up that says "App not installed. An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed."

What does this mean? Why can't I install this? I need some HELP! BTW: I have rooted my phone before (two phones ago, the Fascinate). I am not a complete novice but neither am I all that knowledgeable. I need to find out why this won't install. It should be so simple according to other people and the video on YouTube. I want root on my phone!
    09-14-2013 02:03 PM
    do you have root without knowing it? id start by disabling lookout. delete all the files you downloaded (uninstall, if you installed), restart and then try again.
    09-14-2013 02:08 PM
    I don't know why this is being so difficult for me. It should be EASY! On my phone I downloaded the MotoRoot 1.1 Verizon .apk. Lookout Security doesn't like the file by the way. I override that. It appears to download okay. Then I touch OPEN. It then says at the top MotoRoot. Underneath it says "Do you want to install an update to this built-in application?" I touch the install button. It then says "Installing...." but a warning pops up that this app may harm your device. I check the box that says I understand and again touch the Install button. Almost instantly a screen pops up that says "App not installed. An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed."

What does this mean? Why can't I install this? I need some HELP! BTW: I have rooted my phone before (two phones ago, the Fascinate). I am not a complete novice but neither am I all that knowledgeable. I need to find out why this won't install. It should be so simple according to other people and the video on YouTube. I want root on my phone!

You said you downloaded the one that says "MotoRoot 1.1 Verizon". Wouldn't that be for the Moto X Verizon version? I noticed that the second from last file in the download list is the "MotoRoot 1.1 Droid", that suggests to me that you're using the wrong file, and they stress many times to be sure you use the correct one for your device's. You are on a Droid Maxx, right?
    Aquila likes this.
    09-14-2013 04:27 PM
    New root is out now. PwnMyMoto-1.2-Droid.apk over at XDA with rw to system.

Be careful out there -- there is no quick unroot for this one. You will need to flash stock firmware to unroot at the moment.
    09-14-2013 09:22 PM
    Distorted Loop,

That was it! I had the wrong file. I just saw the one that said Verizon and thought that was the right one. I now have root! Thanks everyone!
    Aquila likes this.
    09-15-2013 07:14 AM
    and
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2442616

Just in case anyone looking through this thread wants the how to link.

Thanks again to all. Works beautifully for tethering, which is the main thing I wanted.

Sent from my DROID MAXX
    10-02-2013 04:21 PM
    Hi I have MOTO X Fido (ROGERS) and I keep getting app not installed. I downloaded the pwnmymoto rogers and still getting the app not installed.
    11-27-2013 09:17 PM
48 12