Soak Test Reboot problems on Rooted maxx

goliatham

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
My maxx is rooted, and I applied the update today.
My phone is now rebooting constantly. It loads and I can navigate around for about 30 seconds, then it powers down and boots up again. repeat, repeat repeat.
It figures...This was the first time I applied an update on a device without either unrooting, or waiting to see how the update was impacting people.

Any other rooted users having this issue?

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the update will apply on a rooted phone. I'm not sure if u will be able to apply the update at this time. You will have to perform a factory reset and wait for the update on official release. Go into fast boot mode (vol down + power key) after the phone restarts and perform a reset.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

goliatham

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I thought I was clear. I did get the update, and applied it, AND I'm stuck in a power cycle loop.
The private soak test forums already have 4 rooted users reporting same issue. Rooted (AND even unrooted/derooted) users probably don't want to apply this update.
Selecting any option in recovery also just boots the phone.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought I was clear. I did get the update, and applied it, AND I'm stuck in a power cycle loop.
The private soak test forums already have 4 rooted users reporting same issue. Rooted (AND even unrooted/derooted) users probably don't want to apply this update.
Selecting any option in recovery also just boots the phone.

Not to be an ***, but shouldn't this conversation be taking place in the private forums and not here?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Rule one for being rooted: never ever ever ever ever ever ever accept a OEM update if you plan to keep root/functioning phone. Even the root creator told you not to do it.

You'll probably have better luck fixing it on xda than you will here. If you can.

Posted via Android Central App

goliatham

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Not to be an ***, but shouldn't this conversation be taking place in the private forums and not here?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I opened it up here before remembering about those forums. I still think it's a worthwhile warning to people who may not check those forums until after they have a problem.

Rule one for being rooted: never ever ever ever ever ever ever accept a OEM update if you plan to keep root/functioning phone. Even the root creator told you not to do it.

You'll probably have better luck fixing it on xda than you will here. If you can.

Posted via Android Central App
I was OK with losing root, this went a bit beyond that though. XDA is next step if Motorola's private forums don't help out.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I opened it up here before remembering about those forums. I still think it's a worthwhile warning to people who may not check those forums until after they have a problem.

I was OK with losing root, this went a bit beyond that though. XDA is next step if Motorola's private forums don't help out.

You still don't get it. It wasn't a matter of "losing root", you shouldn't have applied the update in the first place with the modification in place...You need to undo it before applying updates...When you signed up for the soak test, if you actually read what you were clicking on, Motorola even warned you to unroot the phone before applying the update. Sorry to sound harsh, but honestly, just trying to help you out for the future so it doesn't happen again...

goliatham

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
You still don't get it. It wasn't a matter of "losing root", you shouldn't have applied the update in the first place with the modification in place...You need to undo it before applying updates...When you signed up for the soak test, if you actually read what you were clicking on, Motorola even warned you to unroot the phone before applying the update. Sorry to sound harsh, but honestly, just trying to help you out for the future so it doesn't happen again...

I absolutely understand that I should not have applied the update without unrooting. That said, others in the motorola private forums did unroot, and are experiencing the same issue. I'm not posting here looking for help or complaining about this. I was just trying to find out if others had the issue (should have done so in Moto's forums first) and to hopefully prevent someone else from running into the same problem.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely understand that I should not have applied the update without unrooting. That said, others in the motorola private forums did unroot, and are experiencing the same issue. I'm not posting here looking for help or complaining about this. I was just trying to find out if others had the issue (should have done so in Moto's forums first) and to hopefully prevent someone else from running into the same problem.

there's a reason its called a soak test and not an official OTA. they are testing it to make sure it works perfectly with everyones phones. if it doesn't work on a non rooted phone, that just shows that their test is not ready for OTA yet.

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

I haven't seen any non-rooted phones experiencing this issue as of yet. Seems pretty safe to assume it's primarily a problem on rooted phones only, which is why they warned people to unroot before applying the update. Hopefully the rooted users who ignored the warning were smart enough to back up their phones first since it appears a reset is the only fix at this point.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
there's a reason its called a soak test and not an official OTA. they are testing it to make sure it works perfectly with everyones phones. if it doesn't work on a non rooted phone, that just shows that their test is not ready for OTA yet.

Not true. Moto explicitly stated that this will be the final software unless something pressing changes it.

Having a rooted phone prior to the update, moto warned that the update may not apply if the phone is rooted. This wouldn't constitute as a pressing issue.

goliatham

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Not true. Moto explicitly stated that this will be the final software unless something pressing changes it.

Having a rooted phone prior to the update, moto warned that the update may not apply if the phone is rooted. This wouldn't constitute as a pressing issue.

Could be considered pressing, but it probably depends on the number impacted. They did say that we should be ok if we revert to stock prior to updating. Some have done so, but still have this issue.

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. Must not affect everyone. People experiencing issues may not have unrooted completely. (or not at all, like my dumb self)

My Maxx was rooted briefly, decided to go back to stock and didn't have any issues with the update. So I'm guessing it's like you said, problems with getting phone unrooted or not at all seems to be the issue.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

like, say, doesnt work on all non rooted phones?!?!? again, there is a reason its a soak, to ensure all phones accept it (enter soak) before they push it to everyone, and to ensure the devices function correctly for a period of time afterwards. so yes, what i said is true.

damnyankees

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
My Maxx was rooted briefly, decided to go back to stock and didn't have any issues with the update. So I'm guessing it's like you said, problems with getting phone unrooted or not at all seems to be the issue.

I'm thinking I'd like to unroot and go back to 100% stock. What method did you use? I rooted with PwnMyMoto and am thinking of using House of Moto to unroot. I'm just nervous and want to make sure I don't screw up my phone.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I did not take the survey for the soak test. Although I did register when I had my maxx hd!

4y8utyta.jpg
e7yna3u2.jpg
esapeqe3.jpg

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

Casen

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Your phone is probably having problems because the root/recovery method destroys the stock recovery.

Have you tried and FXZ ..FZX.. umm.. Fastboot restore through RSD lite (sorry I forgot which acronym it was)

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.

gamerman623

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issue and nothing is working. Don't know what to do here.

Edit: HouseofMoto helped me out big time. I was able to fix my phone and keep all my data. It unrooted it, but a small price to pay for a functional phone. Best of luck.

Last edited: