Is Motorola Crazy?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That might be the case but all the moto phones recently out still out perform the iPhone so they are still ahead even with frequent releases

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

That still doesn't change the fact that iPhones for the most part do hold their resale values better than Android phones.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Fact is there is always going to be a next greatest phone since sliced bread no matter what you have.
Personally I could care less if I have the coolest phone on the block,I got over that coolest kid on the block.mentality back in high school.
I'm happy with my phone, and in about 18 months I will upgrade again to whatever strikes my fancy.
I don't fault Motorola or any other company for how many phones they make, because bottom line is they are a business who's purpose is to make money. if people didn't buy all these new phones they wouldn't make so many.
Phone sales like anything else are driven by consumer demand, as long as people buy they will build.
Our as we learned in Field of Dreams, build it and they will come.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The DROID 4, DROID RAZR, and DROID RAZR Maxx are all high-end phones. They could position the X or Bionic as their budget model (instead of making products like the Citrus).

I wouldn't mind seeing a DROID Pro 2 either, just for that form-factor.

Good point, but I like the idea of a "premium android device," and Motorola to do away with budget phones and just kick their two major players into high gear to position against the iPhone 5.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good point, but I like the idea of a "premium android device," and Motorola to do away with budget phones and just kick their two major players into high gear to position against the iPhone 5.

The next iPhone will sell like crazy, but that doesn't mean Apple stops selling the 4 or 4S. They'll likely live for the low-end. Apple plays in that space too.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The next iPhone will sell like crazy, but that doesn't mean Apple stops selling the 4 or 4S. They'll likely live for the low-end. Apple plays in that space too.

Not really IMO, those are just old devices that were once premium. Imagine if Motorola was known for a premium slate device but made up for the market of no keyboards on phones with touch screens of Android by delivering premium sliders with the most awesome illuminated keys with a premium function and predictive text? Two phones, once a year, a strong marketing scheme like the DROID commercials we remember thick, gorilla glass, carbon fiber, aluminum or whatever.....And some better engineering...the OG battery door was a flop....however, there was one!

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I just posted in the other threategy, I'm sure they're making more cash than if they had just released one model.

Plus, why wasted all the good selling points on one phone? The Razr was the thinnest, so it sold. The Maxx was thin and had the best battery of any Smartphone, so it sold. And the Fighter will have those points plus the HD screen, so that will sell as well. But, the old models will still sell as well, as some people will decide an extra $100 isn't worth the added battery life, or HD screen.

Its a good short term strategy. But, long term, it will probably alienate some customers who are upset because they bought X phone before Y/better phone came out.

My wife and I upgraded on the same day. She wanted the thinner lighter Razr and color did not matter. I wanted the Maxx for it's great battery. Both of us love our phones despite the Pentile screen Nexus owners hate and the promise of a nicer display. I just stopped waiting for that next best. There will always be another next best. My first phone was the Droid Charge. I got that phone so I wouldn't miss out on the unlimited 4G plan. If I had waited for the Bionic I originally wanted, I would be stuck on a tiered plan right now. And been disappointed with the bionic when the Maxx came out. Just have to do your best.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not really IMO, those are just old devices that were once premium. Imagine if Motorola was known for a premium slate device but made up for the market of no keyboards on phones with touch screens of Android by delivering premium sliders with the most awesome illuminated keys with a premium function and predictive text? Two phones, once a year, a strong marketing scheme like the DROID commercials we remember thick, gorilla glass, carbon fiber, aluminum or whatever.....And some better engineering...the OG battery door was a flop....however, there was one!

I like having choice and am more interested in what price points devices fall into. No Android manufacturer is going to go with a two device per year cycle - at least not anytime soon.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I like having choice and am more interested in what price points devices fall into. No Android manufacturer is going to go with a two device per year cycle - at least not anytime soon.

Without inherent software, sure, that makes sense.....sell the TIHS out of the hardware. No surprise to anyone there. But that comes at a cost of lackluster software success. Thank god for the developers and hackers....blur is better, but not the most exotic flavor of Android my any means...Gotta front on both levels to be boss in the market....

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Even when Google owns Motorola, (Phil)Blur is here to stay. Just like Sense is sticking around. Just like TouchWiz is sticking around.

I don't mind Blur, Sense, and TouchWiz: coming from a guy who started on a DROID (stock Eclair, stock Group, and stock Gingerbread via Peter Alfonso) and now has a DROID Bionic (GingerBlur).

2 devices a year won't be enough to compete no matter how good the software could be.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What are they thinking? They're already on bad terms with most people who read tech blogs for their broken promises, but now they're trying to shoot their own ships even further by releasing what seems to be an identical phone to the Razr MAXX with features that should have came on the original. What's wrong with the people at Motorola? Couldn't they have at least released this phone to another carrier? Verizon is the only carrier Motorola caters to which is why they're losing sales to Samsung and HTC, and it seems they're on the same path that almost killed their business in the first place which is flood the market with Razrs with a few modifications for each release. Also, the name Droid Fighter is stupid and the Droid brand has really been overused.

I'm taken a back a bit. Why do you think Moto would slow down in their development and release of new phones? Look at what they have done over the past year or so. The Bionic, RAZR and Maxx. Or look at the Xoom followed by the Xyboard.

Motorola, hasn't been interested in quality or cutting edge devices in a while now. They are choosing to go the quantity route.

Probably even more laughable is this phone will probably still only have Gingerbread.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Even when Google owns Motorola, (Phil)Blur is here to stay. Just like Sense is sticking around. Just like TouchWiz is sticking around.

I don't mind Blur, Sense, and TouchWiz: coming from a guy who started on a DROID (stock Eclair, stock Group, and stock Gingerbread via Peter Alfonso) and now has a DROID Bionic (GingerBlur).

2 devices a year won't be enough to compete no matter how good the software could be.

Not with freeware...no doubt : )

irkan

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I remember the original razr (the flip phone) v3 i believe ... it was great, but do you remember what came after it? ... razr v6, razr v8 and razr v9 with very slight modifications (between v8 and v9)

Motorola has not changed a bit, they grab something and they
- improve slightly
- release
- repeat

instead of spending time in making huge improvements for new phones.

and they tend to overuse (abuse) the naming a lot to the point that it is confusing, like how many razrs are there right now? (including the original razrs). they are now using the droid razr combination which is yet more confusing (if they chose to carry on with it)

Motorola droid razr maxx hd (lol)

I miss the old days where new phones had simple new names / numbers

jcrome04

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Id like to know the person who is so confused over the RAZR name they go into a VZW store looking for an original flip RAZR that's probably.... 6-7 yrs old?

I remember the OG RAZR. I left VZW and signed up with Cingular just to get it. I still have it lying around somewhere!