Verizon RAZR HD upgradable to Jelly Bean - likely the last update ever?

Malchore

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon website says this phone is shipping with ICS but is upgradeable to Jelly Bean. OK we all knew that already - Verizon has said at every turn these new Droid RAZRs will get Jelly Bean before the end of the year, and I believe them. But I'm thinking after Jelly Bean, this phone will never see another update again. Anyone agree? If you disagree then please respond with your reasons.

I'm 99% certain I will buy this phone from Verizon. I am eligible for a device upgrade now, plus I can take $50 off the purchase of a new smartphone with a new 2yr plan. So I'm going to wait until Black Friday and hope Verizon will take additional discounts. Would be nice to get this phone new for only $100! By that date, I'll know more about Google's plan for the next Nexus phone and can decide if I want to go that route. But there is a slim chance I will.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon website says this phone is shipping with ICS but is upgradeable to Jelly Bean. OK we all knew that already - Verizon has said at every turn these new Droid RAZRs will get Jelly Bean before the end of the year, and I believe them. But I'm thinking after Jelly Bean, this phone will never see another update again. Anyone agree? If you disagree then please respond with your reasons.

I'm 99% certain I will buy this phone from Verizon. I am eligible for a device upgrade now, plus I can take $50 off the purchase of a new smartphone with a new 2yr plan. So I'm going to wait until Black Friday and hope Verizon will take additional discounts. Would be nice to get this phone new for only $100! By that date, I'll know more about Google's plan for the next Nexus phone and can decide if I want to go that route. But there is a slim chance I will.

IMO, a factor that would play is how big of a jump the next version of Android is (ex: Gingerbread to ICS vs. ICS to Jelly Bean).

But certainly the chances of these new RAZR phones getting updates beyond Jelly Bean increases because Motorola is owned by Google.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

They will get at least one, but maybe two, updates beyond jellybean.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the RAZR HD will definitely get another update beyond Jelly Bean. Like Ry said, it does kinda depend on how big the update is, but I think it's going to get the green light. Jelly Bean will be the last update that the first DROID RAZR will see, though.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

gadgetjunkie89

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Too lazy to look for it, but somewhere online I saw an upgrade roadmap that showed the RAZR HD/MAXX planned to upgrade to KLP Q3/Q4 2013. (The point of the article, though, was to show a possible Motorola Nexus among other leaked devices.) Not certain, but I'd like to think we'll get another update in a year.

spudskier

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Both HD and HD Maxx are at least slated for Key Lime Pie Q3 of next year according to leaked list. Can't find source at the moment

Malchore

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Too lazy to look for it, but somewhere online I saw an upgrade roadmap that showed the RAZR HD/MAXX planned to upgrade to KLP Q3/Q4 2013. (The point of the article, though, was to show a possible Motorola Nexus among other leaked devices.) Not certain, but I'd like to think we'll get another update in a year.

I'm impressed with gadgetjunkie89 - I've seen a number of rumors the nexus 5 will be manufactured by Motorola; probably something very much like the Moto X. I'm no longer hopeful we'll see KitKat on the Droid RAZR/MAXX HD - it's no longer Verizon's main Motorola phone.

dark_mirage

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm impressed with gadgetjunkie89 - I've seen a number of rumors the nexus 5 will be manufactured by Motorola; probably something very much like the Moto X. I'm no longer hopeful we'll see KitKat on the Droid RAZR/MAXX HD - it's no longer Verizon's main Motorola phone.

"It's not a flagship anymore, I want nothing to do with it!"

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2