[Guide] Root and/or Load JB on RAZR HD & HD MAXX

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
motorola-yeni-urun-tanitimini-gerceklestirdi.jpg

Code:
[COLOR=#b22222][FONT=Arial][B][SIZE=4]OLD METHOD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]
Yes, the Holy Grail has been discovered by [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]djrbliss[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial].[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]He has taken the time (once again) to come up with a [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]working root method[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial] for the newest Motorola smartphones: DROID RAZR M, DROID RAZR HD, DROID RAZR MAXX HD, and the Atrix HD. We've heard that not only does this root method work with the shipping Ice Cream Sandwich that is on the [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=inherit]phones[/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial], but also the [/FONT][/COLOR]Jelly Bean leak[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial] for the DROID RAZR M, which means it [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][I]should work[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial] on the final Jelly Bean over-the-air update for these phones.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]The method of rooting is pretty simple:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
[LIST]
[*]First make sure you have the current Motorola USB drivers installed from [URL="http://www.mymotocast.com/download/MDM?platform=windows"]here[/URL].
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]Then download the[URL="http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip"] motofail2go_windows.zip[/URL] file and extract it.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]Connect your phone to the [FONT=inherit]PC[/FONT] and click on the "run.bat" file that you extracted.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]It is important to follow the instructions in the PC program, as it will ask you to press a button combination of the Volume UP and Power at the same time.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]If the program gives an error saying something like "run-as: Package 'com.motorola.bug2go' is unknown", then unfortunately you will have to wipe your data and cache partitions on the phone and try again (factory reset the phone).
[/LIST]

[RIGHT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#808080][FONT=Arial]source: [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#808080]XDA Forums[/COLOR][COLOR=#808080][FONT=Arial] credit: [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=32888705"]djrbliss[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/RIGHT]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=DroidSansRegular][SIZE=3]*Note:  If for some reason that method fails to give you root once you boot back up and open a root-friendly app, try swapping out the su and Superuser.apk files with these two and then running it again.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[LIST]
[*]Download:  [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?kgwoes2bie8y1sq"]su[/URL]
[*]Download: [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?pas24dp7hh5fdyr"]Superuser.apk[/URL]
[/LIST]

Updated 11/12
NEW METHOD by sammyboy405
This will work on the RAZR HD, or RAZR HD Maxx
Steps to Root
1.You are stock with the non-JB Verizon pushed update (6MB) applied (Settings > About Phone > System update tells you your device is up to date)
2. Download the Droid Razr HD Utility from Matt via his site Batakang
3. Enable USB Debugging
4. Be Sure you have Motorola Drivers installed. (Included with the RAZR HD Utility)
5. Plug your phone in and Ensure its all Connected up.
6. Run the DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility.bat
7. Follow the Instructions on screen.
8. The Hardest Part is forcing a Bug Report. By holding the Power and Up Volume key.. You will Think that it didnt work, But in fact it really did. The Vibrate that it talks about in the Menu, for me it was Delayed.
9. Once your Phone is Rooted, it will reboot.
10. Enjoy Root

Be sure download the Jellybean leak and copy it to you SD Card before you Continue.

Jellybean 9.1.39Xt926.verizon.en.us Download
CRC Download

Steps to Loading Jelly Bean

1. You are stock with the non-JB verizon pushed update (6MB) applied (Settings > About Phone > System update tells you your device is up to date)
2. You root (or are already rooted)
3. You go into the Superuser app, swipe to the left the info tab (if you don't see this, the make sure you have the latest superuser update from the app store VERY IMPORTANT!!! If you dont you wont be able to keep root)
4. Tap on the 3rd line (su binary tap to check for updates)
5. Update the binaries to the latest (This is also VERY IMPORTANT)
6. Run the DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility.bat , this time Install the OTA Vodoo RootKeeper (or Install from the Play Store)
7. Open OTA Vodoo RootKeeper and Protect Root (or delete and create a new backup if you have already used the app to backup)
8. Temp unroot in OTA Vodoo RootKeeper
9. Power off the device
10. Power + volume up, then press volume up and down simultaneously when you see the android. (Or use adb to get to recovery)
11. Volume down until recovery is highlighted, then volume up to select recovery
12. Choose install update from external sd card
13. Select file to update (This takes a long time)
14. After boot, wait a while (3 or 4 mins)
15. Restore root using OTA Vodoo RootKeeper
16. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to confirm you have root
17. You may need to reboot to get root fully working. I had to reboot to get Titanium Backup to work.
18. Enjoy Jelly Bean

Hopefully this will help anyone out who needs it..

Thanks to mattlgroff For his RAZR HD Utility

Here is a Download for the Linux/OSX Version of the RAZR HD Utility. Dev-Host - LinuxMacDroid-RazrHD.7z - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service via johnthehillbilly

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshua Bennett

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
This might be a dead thread, but I'm losing my wits. I just got a hand-me-down Razr HD and for the life of me can't get it to root because of the "trigger bug report" step. No matter what the thing will not vibrate. I've held the Vol+ and Power buttons for 3, 5, 6 10, 30, 60! seconds and get nothing. The root fails, the phone reboots and is back to scratch. I wipe/fact. reset and try again. Same every time.

Is this the ONLY way to root this phone? Is there something less obvious about the bug report trigger? It is from Verizon (XT912), could the button sequence be different for triggering bug reports?

peosh

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I understand I am late to the party. I also know that I have really no idea what I am doing. However I can code a website using strictly HTML and other such programing languages, but when I go to root my phone after hours of researching the subject and deciding to do so, everything turns out to be different than what is described. It appears after all is said and done that I merely reverted my phone back to its factory settings. I followed steps 1 -7 under the new method yet the 'instructions on screen' with which I am supposed to follow are vague and incomplete thus leading me to dead ends. I never get prompted for the de-bugging screen. All I get is 'waiting for device'... There are a lot of steps which are not covered in this tutorial and it would have been nice to know that before attempting to do so. A little light on this subject might be useful.

peosh

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Also the fact that an options screen shows up with 1-4 different options not including the press enter to escape option is not mentioned anywhere would have been nice to know about before doing any of this. I just wanted to get rid of the ads on this device so badly I was willing to do whatever it took to get rid of the ads, but obviously I am too stupid to do so. Maybe there is a forum for people who have the ability to do this but don't understand whatever the unspoken rules of this is. If I could just find a simple step by step guide to what it is I should do, I would have no problem doing so. Yet the way it stands sounds so simple yet when put into practice these 'simple' things become unreadable.

Joseph Thomas3

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I've read through this forum and looked over the steps tons and still have questions. The first is, I tried hitting the icon to download the Utility but was taken to a page that said errror 404 page not found, where can I download this utility. Next question I have is during the roofing process is it a requirement that my phone be restored to factory settings and if so how can I either backup or recover my pics and game information. I've researched so many different ways to root my phone and would only like to find the best and easiest way of doing so. Also, should I do anything as far as the new jelly bean version and getting it installed on my phone and are there any benefits of doing that. I'm trying to do this myself and have no idea what I'm getting myself into. Can anyone offer any help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith