Kindle for Android "Invalid Item" Error!

acheryl

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Got this new Razr HD. Kindle app worked fine on prior (older) phone, but is not working properly on new phone... When I try to open a book, I get an "Invalid Item: Please remove the items from your device and go to All Items and download it again." Of course, I have tried that over and over.

The Kindle app is there and opens, showing my prior purchases--will even let me make new purchases. However, with only one or two exceptions, old/new items will not download to device--meaning I cannot open/read them. (One sample book and one free book will open, but no others will--regardless of free/paid, large/small file size.).

Additionally, after reading some other forums, I have cleared the cache; un/reinstalled the app; de/reregistered on phone AND on Kindle site; changed password for Amazon acct, made sure the correct device is shown on Kindle acct....

Kindle working on PC and Motorola Xoom tablet, still. Anyone else with this problem and--more important--has anyone found a fix? Thanks.

LitzaLou

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
This is EXACTLY what's been happening to me! I've had my Droid RAZR HD just over a week and, at first, the Kindle app worked just fine. Then, all of a sudden, it just stopped. It started by not opening at all, then the app would open, but I couldn't open most of my books. This is just one problem I've found with my phone, so I've contemplated returning it and getting a different one. I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one having this problem!

Devin Barnett

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem with my DNA. I will update as I find out more information. This began after I updated the Kindle app to 4.1.1 and has been quite annoying.

EKensek

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The ONLY way to resolve this issue is to restore your Droid to Factory Settings and then DISABLE ALL Updates for Kindle. I have spent time with both Amazon Kindle Help Desk (who are very nice) and Motorola Help Desk. It is not a widely known issue- because neither had any documentation on it last month, but clearly there are many users that have had the same issue with the RAZR HD specifically. The infuriating thing is that you cannot uninstall and reinstall the Kindle App on our phones because it comes embedded as bloatware. Once you restore your phone to factory settings, you will be able to read all your books once again. Frustrating to say the least. Is Google trying to force us to shift over to Google Books?:'(

Joanna6

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I have tried everything here including deleting the Kindle Droid upgrade 4.1.1.1 and nothing works. Just spent over an hour on the phone and computer with Kindle Tech people. They have a problem--duh? They hope to have the app fixed in a couple of days.

dtchao

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have gotten the same issue on my Droid DNA. I like the phone so far but this issue is annoying. I actually needed to uninstall the update from Google Play and revert it back to manufacturer's version, as some suggested. And then it worked fine again. Thought there is still a flaw that I noticed the highlights I added on some texts in my ebooks showing ugly blue colored as outline. Just ugly and annoying. Anybody knows a way to uninstall the HTC's version from the phone so I can do a brand-new download from Google Play?

I agree there could be a Google Play Books conspiracy here...

beheardbehealed

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I got my new phone a few months ago and the moment I got it my new phone did not allow me to use my Amazon Kindle. I'm so aggravated. I love to read and I can't stand not having access to my phone app. I've bought new books and can't read them. I'm also a student and could have saved tons on buying e-books but can't risk not being able to read them. I'll take the time to read through, but has anyone found a resolution to this? I've de-registered, done everything it asked. PLEASE HELP!!!:-$

phxsundevil

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the Kindle App on my Note 2 for a long time and it worked great. Hadn't read anything for a couple months, bought a new book, and got the error.

Did all the same troubleshooting as OP, cleared the cache etc, couldn't remove because of bloatware etc.

What I did was clear the cache, clear the stored memory on the app in app manager, then went through the Amazon App Store and downloaded the Kindle App. For some reason, this worked perfectly and I could read my book. Worth a shot.

Posted via Android Central App

Geo Rule

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
What I did was clear the cache, clear the stored memory on the app in app manager, then went through the Amazon App Store and downloaded the Kindle App. For some reason, this worked perfectly and I could read my book. Worth a shot.

Thanks for that, as it happened to me this morning, and after doing the obvious (uninstall/reinstall) without success, I searched and found this thread. Uninstalling Kindle, installing the Amazon App Store (at least I had to do that as I hadn't previously) and loading Kindle that way fixed the problem for now. I also had to change settings on the phone to allow the Amazon App Store to be installed (by default it only allowed Google Play store apps to be installed).

I've only had the phone for less than a week (Alcatel OneTouch Evolve over T-Mobile with Android 4.1). I installed Kindle the regular way on the first night, and it was working then. Hadn't used it since, but did not work when I tried it this morning with that same "invalid item" message discussed here.

rgkint

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
phxsundevil, your suggestion was really helpful... though I just need to add one thing. For some strange reason, your suggestion worked like a charm... for about 8 hours and then it was back to invalid item for most of my books. After that, I was unable to re-download kindle from the Amazon store because it was detecting that it should already be on the device which started this delightful infinite loop. The last thing I did was de-register my android phone, (and my 2 old iphones) under Your Account>Manage Your Devices on Amazon.com, and then reregister my Note 2. Granted most of my app configuration was lost, but I was able to download all my books back... Which is a hell of a lot preferable to doing a factory restore on my phone.

A final note to all phone manufacturers... I understand you want to provide good phones for a decent price, and you think that the more "free applications" that you force the customer to accept in order to drive the prices down is a means to that end, but when these "free applications" malfunction and fixing them becomes impeded by the method they have been shoehorned in to the point where restoring the phone is necessary to fix one application... that is not OK. I will definitely be shopping for a bloatware free phone the next time I do an upgrade because I can see now where the value truly lies. You want my business? Let my phone be MY phone and I will decide when it needs a restore, not your marketing team.

Jafar Hosseinzadeh

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I have had the same issue. This has worked well:

1-Make sure you have the latest updates
2-Start the App manager and locate kindle app
3-Force stop the app
4-You may have to wait a few seconds for the app to load the information
5-Clear Cache
6-Clear Data (at this point you may want to see just clearing the cache might have fixed the issue. In my case it did not)
-Do not worry about the message that you deleting all this application data.
7-Start Kindle app. Your books may not the actual covers, however if click on each book then the cover will come back.
And you can start reading books as you did before.

I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol