Wi-fi not working on RAZR HD

lkct01234

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have had my RAZR HD for a year or so. Our router/modem is located on another floor than what we use it on. (I've tried to move it, but I guess DSL can only be used in certain outlets...don't get me started on that...) So my husband had heard to get a wi-fi range extender. We did (this one, if it matters: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3549506). Since I've set this range extender up I've had problems with my RAZR and the wi-fi.

We have multiple devices on the wi-fi: laptop(s), mac desktop, blu-ray(s), Kindle...and all seem to be fine with connecting. My RAZR shows that there is wi-fi and that it is connected. It works occasionally, but sometimes it doesn't work. If it isn't working it seems like the wi-fi signal indicator is white. I read online that means it isn't transferring data. I've tried different security on the router and the only thing that seemed to help was turning off the security all together...but I'd rather not do that.

Recently before starting to use the range extender, I had updated the phone. I found this post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...maxx-having-issues-maintaining-data-wifi.html
And followed B. Diddy's suggestions. None of that worked.

I am using the ZyXEL PK5000z and I checked it has the latest firmware.

I of course have restarted my phone, toggling wi-fi on and off...I even did a hard reset on the modem/router! I have also changed the channel on the router. Nope.

IDEAS?!!?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Thanks for listing all of that information--it makes it a little easier to troubleshoot. In my experience, wifi range extenders don't always work well. I've tried two, and they always seem to have problems with intermittent dropout of signal, as well as difficulty connecting with devices. In addition, my experience with ZyXEL is not good--the ZyXEL router I had a few years ago was very unreliable.

Have you checked for any firmware upgrades for your router and/or your range extender? This would be a good first step.

After my failed attempts at using range extenders, I ended up using Powerline adapters in my house (which send the internet signal through your house's electrical wiring). You can then use another Powerline adapter plugged into any outlet, making that outlet an Ethernet jack. I then added a 2nd router to one of those jacks, and set this 2nd router to be a wi-fi access point (with a different SSID from the main router, because making them the same name would also seem to cause confusion). I can give you more information on this if you need it.

lkct01234

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your input!

I did check for router for available updates (and it's up to date) but not on range extender. Yeah, I haven't been sold on the range extender either but it seems to help with some of the other devices.

That's interesting about the powerline adapter. I think I ran into that during my search on Amazon when I purchased the range extender.

I also haven't been a fan of the ZyXEL...but when we bought it, back in 2010 (I think??) It was the one they gave me...even though I asked for another one...I won't get started on ISPs. However, it may be time to upgrade...and then I may resell the range extender!!

Well, I guess the good news and bad news is: It's probably not my phone. :-/

Thanks!!

tward333

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My Razr HD loses wifi if I'm not using it after a few minutes, like the wifi is in sleep mode or something. Is this what yours does? The wifi symbol is at the top of the screen but it's white instead of blue. I have to turn wifi off and then back on again and it works. I had an iphone previously and it never did that. My questions are:
1. Is this normal? and if so,
2. Is there a way to turn the "wifi sleep" function off?
3. Do all android phones have this feature?
Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does that behavior occur on any wifi network, or just your home network? If the latter, there's probably something up with your router.

I've seen an option for "Keep Wi-fi on while asleep" on every device I have, so I think it's standard. I think the default is Always.

tward333

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
It happens on any wifi network. I made sure the setting for wifi while asleep is set to always. The person at Verizon support told me to try another setting but it didn't fix it either. At this point I guess I'll just have to deal with it!

lkct01234

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Tward - No. My problem is different. When I use my phone after it's been "asleep" it does take a bit to kick back on. But a lot of times it will work for a few minutes and then it won't work.

B.Diddy - Because you were so helpful before...blessing or curse?? Curious about your thoughts on the following. I reconnected another wireless router I had (a linksys, that I haven't had problems with.) For any reason(s) should I just use the ZyXEL as a bridge? Does having wireless networks close together cause interference? If you don't know...just let me know :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a good question. If the ZyXEL router was giving you problems as a router, then it might not fare any better as a bridge or access point. You could always try it, but don't be too surprised if it gives you more problems. How is the Linksys router working? Does the Razr HD see the network now?

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
On your phone, open Settings then WiFi. Make sure you click the words 'WiFi' and not the on/off switch. In the lower right, click the three vertical dots. Select 'Advanced.' If checked, uncheck the 'Avoid poor connections.' See if that fixes it.

lkct01234

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
steve - I saw that on another thread and I did that. It didn't fix it.

What has "fixed" it? Using the d-link/cysco wireless router connected to the Zyxel modem/router. The signal is a bit weak at the far reaches of the house, but the connection isn't dropping! I had thought, a while back, to turn this 2nd (nicer) router into a wireless extender. However, after reading a bit about it, it seemed do-able but I kept reading "read through all of this before you start, or you may 'brick' it" and there was a lot to read and....squirrel!

I may get a different type of wireless extender...but the wi-fi hasn't been dropping and I didn't have to spend any money (at this time) to fix it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon