What alternatives to the Razr?

Therk

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Love the Razr M in the store ... great size and performance in my testing, but the reviews of the camera have left me cold.

Part of the reason for switching to a smart phone is the ease of sharing photos and the quality improvement over the old flip phones. If the camera isn't very good, the incentive to switch is greatly diminished for me.

So this makes me wonder which Verizon phones are similar to the size of the iphone with a superior camera? I prefer android as an OS, but the hardware of the iphone is really impressive. I especially like the thinness and weight of the iphone and the cameras are really superb. That's why I immediately homed in on the Razr M, but again ... the camera kills it for me. Are all the Moto cameras poor, assuming I get over my attraction to slim, light phones?

Also, my biggest quibble with Android is the email. It highly annoying that my HTML gmails do not shrink to fit! That's horrible! How is it that the iphone can handle it, but Android can't. I mean, Android is made by Google, fer cryin out loud! I hate scrolling left and right to see the whole thing.

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You can pinch HTML email to see the whole thing...

As for alternatives - I don't think there is anything close to the form factor and specs...

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
HTC incredible 4g LTE is the only thing close, and it does have a better camera Than the Razr M, but nowhere near as good as the iPhone's.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the Vignette camera app for my RAZR M. I think it works great. I have a couple friends with iPhones that think my M is way better. The only thing they have is way more accessories.

Therk

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
You can pinch HTML email to see the whole thing...

This does not work fo me. I bought a used Droid X on ebay to try out Android and this is definitely one of my top complaints. It is up to date, running 2.3.4 and HTML emails on GMail do NOT shrink to fit. Pinching the screen does nothing at all ... am I doing something wrong?

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This does not work fo me. I bought a used Droid X on ebay to try out Android and this is definitely one of my top complaints. It is up to date, running 2.3.4 and HTML emails on GMail do NOT shrink to fit. Pinching the screen does nothing at all ... am I doing something wrong?

Works for me

Sent from my XT907 Scorpion_Mini

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349057408413.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349057408413.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349057416193.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349057416193.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 39

Therk

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm.. Well, I have been using the GMail app thinking it would work better. When I just went to the stock email app and attempted to input my sign in info for gmail, it said that account already exists on the phone. Do I have to delete the account and reenter it? What's the point of the gmail app if the stock email app works better? Thanks.

By the way, here is a discussion I saw where people had the same compliant. Why is it not similar?
Issue 23449 - android - Auto fit Emails to Screen in Mail app - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Well the Gmail app just works as a native app for Gmail, while the stock email app works as a universal email app. I actually use both, yahoo on my email app and gmail on its native app. I just tested to see if I could add my gmail account to the stock email app and it worked without a problem. Although I did get prompted about having duplicate email accounts and the option to delete the one I had just created, but it gave me the option to cancel the deletion of the new gmail account on the email app and continue on. Let us know if you have anymore problems!

Therk

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
OK ... I was being an idiot! Now I've got that straightened out, thanks for the help. That's one con for Android removed. So what was everyone talking about in the thread I linked above? The Gmail app?

I really do like the Razr M and may give it a chance .... but the camera still looks pretty bad. Hey, it's got to be better than my Droid X. That thing looks like it has vaseline smeared on the lens.

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Of you added your gmail account to the native email app be sure to go to accounts and remove the mail sync from the phone account or it will sync the same information on two apps unnecessarily. That's what the notice is trying to prevent - it eats battery for no reason.

I use the native email app because I like the unified inbox for multiple accounts

Sent from my XT907 Scorpion_Mini

Therk

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Of you added your gmail account to the native email app be sure to go to accounts and remove the mail sync from the phone account or it will sync the same information on two apps unnecessarily. That's what the notice is trying to prevent - it eats battery for no reason.

Thanks, Notrega ... good tip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463