Speed dials in jelly bean

cellison1460

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I updated to jelly bean last night and for the life of me can not find how to reset speed dial numbers. Did we lose this option or am I clueless?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Jonas4321

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the same thing, and now the speed dials I had setup are no longer working on my Razr M. I am not happy. Furthermore, Draw Something no longer works, and the Weight Watchers app (which, thankfully, I use a LOT more than Draw Something) does not allow me to scroll down past what I see on the screen, even though there is more than one screen's worth of info entered.

Is there a way to roll back to 4.0.4? The coolness of the new interface is NOT worth these headaches.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Time will tell, but why remove a very functional operation like speed dial. I'll need to add another screen for the 9 contacts that I have currently on speed dial using the new widget. You just have to wonder who makes these kinds of decisions for us users?

flagamte

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
agree, they screwed us on this one. adding a widget doesn't allow you to assign a specific number to that widget. back to 4.1 for me.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
How hard is it to start dialing a number or to use voice commands instead? If you start spelling a name or dialing the number the person will show up.

lololovestech

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I haven't used speed-dial since my blackberry days. Use a widget or just start typing out a name. Easy cheesy.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

zarguy

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
They left in the ability to create speed dials. They just don't function after they are created. For example, I create speed dial #2 for my wife. When I type 2, I get a person in my Contacts who has a 2 in their number? What were they thinking? People say speed dials aren't very important. We've had them since cordless landlines came out. Why mess with something like this?

All of the alternatives are pretty useless when you're driving & want to quickly access a phone number. Spend too much time looking at your phone & you'll soon be looking at the ambulance ceiling.

I've read about the direct dialing widget. Does it allow you to assign different labels, colors or images to different icons?

Lynn

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Removing speed dial was just lame. It has been the quickest way to place a call since it was invented. I don't need another widget to do waht it already did before Jelly Bean. What a stupid, stupid change.

mashardy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This really sucks! as much as I appreciate new technology speed dialing was a simple easy way to dial your most frequently dialed numbers. Direct dial just clutters your page!

islanddude

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Speed dial is a safety feature; you?re not supposed to play with your phone while driving! Jellbean didn?t make my phone smarter, it made it dumber. There?s an app called ?Rocket Dial Pro? that works, but it?s only a temporary fix until Google replaces speed dial.

highdesertladi

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Speed Dial:
I was just updated today with ?Jelly Bean? on my Motorola RAZR MAXX HD. I went to use my speed dial and it didn?t work. I went to update my contacts with their number and it was gone from the ?Phone? widget and not on the options anymore. I called Verizon and they are aware of this issue, but I noticed posts in November and it seems to be ignored. Speed Dial has been around for years and I don?t understand why they eliminated this important feature. Press the number and it automatically dials. I rarely use my contacts or favorites. I use this with people I talk to everyday.

flyfisher62

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Removing this function is a stupid move. For me speed dial was about safety while driving. It is much safer to just got to the keypad and press and hold one button to call. Not only that, speed dial was much easier than the other available widgets. There were less key strokes and the key strokes did not need to be as precise as for the favorites where home, cell, and other numbers are close together. The current solution of a widget where each icon is a number would take up nearly a whole screen, which makes this solution unworkable.

I am about to buy a new phone and was considering the Droid RAZR MAXX HD. Now I am rethinking my choice and will more strongly consider the new Samsung Galaxy S4.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't be using your phone period while driving. The laws are only going to get more strict regarding this. Voice dial only while driving, and in JB it actually works really well. And I find stacking direct dial widgets is better than speed dial. I complained for awhile about it too but find it actually is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles