New SD card won't mount

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought 2 new 16 GB Kingston Micro SD HC class 10 cards for the wife's and my RAZR Ms.
Both have the same issue. When inserted, the phone won't mount the card.
Error notification received: "sd card is blank or has unsupported file system".
Attempts to format are unsuccessful.
I put each card in my old Droid X GB. Both are recognized and able to be mounted, unmounted, formatted and file searched, on the DX.
I also tried reformatting on laptop, fat32.
I tried the procedure here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-s3-help/218654-blank-sd-card-notification-2.html
although I was unsure what was meant by "Make a shortcut on your windows desktop and make the shortcut location as (cmd)." and could not see the option to "Right click that shortcut and select 'run as administrator'". I di the next step and it did run thru step, showing a progress percentage, until finished. No luck with this either.
I cannot google find or think of anything else to do. Very frustrating.

Please help!

Last edited:

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow.. that's very strange. I was going to suggest formatting as FAT32 in your PC, but you already tried it. When you have it connected to your PC, did you try doing an error check to see if it comes up with anything unusual?

Also, when you format it in your PC, make sure to un-check "Quick Format".

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow.. that's very strange. I was going to suggest formatting as FAT32 in your PC, but you already tried it. When you have it connected to your PC, did you try doing an error check to see if it comes up with anything unusual?
I believe the procedure I linked did do a check disk. I don't know what else to do.
Also, when you format it in your PC, make sure to un-check "Quick Format".
Quick format was unchecked. Thanks.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
OK, I broke down and bought a SanDisk 8GB Class 4, from Big Lots!, for $8. They had no others.
I popped it into the Wife's M....WALAH! Instantly recognized. Then I put it in my M, with same results.
Go figure.

magnes

Mar 16, 2010
www.semelfactive.net
I'll be installing a 42GB SanDisk card tomorrow in my 1-day old RAZR M. Verizon tech support advised me just to pop it in and don't worry about formatting.

magnes

Mar 16, 2010
www.semelfactive.net
Indeed I did. Fat fingers are not yet used to this new keyboard display.

Will report. The card is a Class 10.

As long as I'm here, the out-of-the-box settings had an icon for "Tools" in the bottom, fixed row of shortcuts. I accidentally deleted it (somehow), and it seems to be irretrievable. Anyone know what was in it?

This is an amazing phone. The battery has absorbed 23 hours of heavy use and still reads 50%.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
That folder just has a few other icons in it like settings and a few other things. All you did was delete the folder. Its not a big deal. All the apps or icons in there are still on your phone. You would have deleted that folder anyway. I'm pretty sure we all did.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

magnes

Mar 16, 2010
www.semelfactive.net
Many thanks. I suspected as much, but the new user interface (I'm migrating from a Droid 2 Global) is disorienting at first. Then again, at age 65 what isn't disorienting, eh?

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks. I suspected as much, but the new user interface (I'm migrating from a Droid 2 Global) is disorienting at first.
Going from D2G, you must be enjoying the improved battery life on Razr M. I also had D2G previously, and even with an extended battery, it wasn't anywhere near as long lasting as Razr M.

magnes

Mar 16, 2010
www.semelfactive.net
The 2G did yeoman's service. I never carried a charger, only a slim extra battery. With the RAZR M, the big leap is in processor speed and the Verizon 4G LTE speed. I was able to carry over my unlimited data plan to the new phone.