Razr M or Lumia 822 - Help! Is Google Now worth it?

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Switching to Verizon from Tmo where I am currently using an HTC One S. The One S could possibly be my favorite hardware in some time, I love the thinness and the MAO coating. That said I am switching to Verizon and looking at either the Razr M or Lumia 822, both which are free on contract. I have also played with the idea of paying the 99 for the Razr HD but I think 4.3" screens are my sweet spot.

So anyone who has used both please chime in. The main feature making with Android is Google Now but I don't know how useful it will be since I only use Google Calendar and Talk, I don;t use Gmail anymore or Google +. I used a Lumia 710 for about 9 mo on Tmo and I loved most of it. Here are my Pro's and Con's
Razr M Pros
  • Hardware
  • Google Now
  • Possible faster updates than HTC or Samsung Android phones
  • Some apps better than WP8 alternative (FB, Google Talk)
Razr M Cons
  • Typical Android Lag/reboots/freezing
  • I use Live Mail and stock mail is bad
  • Possibly no updates based on manufacturer whim

Lumia 822 Pros
  • Stable system
  • Better camera
  • Nokia Music
  • Guaranteed 18 mo of updates
  • Wireless charging
  • Sensitive touch screen
Lumia 822 Cons
  • Hardware
  • Some apps not as good as Android equivilent (don't care about having every app available)
  • Some weird software uses (like the search button that only directs to Bing)

It's a short list but please add to it. I will probably setup my new plan Sunday and I'm having a hard time deciding. There is just something about WP that is drawing me back to it even though I have had a relatively lag and reboot free 4 months with my One S.

Thanks, Nick

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
RAZR M is a great *little* phone. Compact and very solid build. Internals are robust and the phone feels quick. Since Motorola mobility is owned by Google now, that last con may be no more. As for Google now, I thought it was very gimmicky at first, but two things that have changed my mind... The weather panel and the navigation panels. The navigation panels constantly update with traffic conditions and gives you an approximate time to work/home. It even alerts you for high congestion. This has helped tremendously in the mornings from me. Luckily everything is customizable and you can even shut everything off or just certain features.

Also the battery life of the M is really really good, easily lasting all day of moderate to heavy use.

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It honestly sounds like you're going to have a tough choice. I find myself in limbo between Windows Phone and Android ALL the time.

There are things I love about both platforms. If I could have it my way, I'd take a Windows Phone with an Android Marketplace.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm completely with you ibbjy! I would love a Nokia that ran Android! I think a lot of people would.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Google Calendar will work on windows phones until this summer. After that I think you'd have to switch to the Live calendar.

I had the 822 and it was an amazing device. I really liked it. I do love my HD now as well. ;)

It's gonna be a tough choice, but you will be satisfied with either phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If you are on a data plan. the 822s YES 2 of them use TWICE as much data than the M. I personally dont like the windows phones anyway but thats not the issue im pointing out. my plan consist of 2 822s 3 razr Ms and my Maxx. you can really see the differences in the windows phone as a data hog

Oh yea the battery life in the 822 is roughly 5-8 hours of moderate use. the M is nearly an all day to the next day phone :cool:

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
If you are on a data plan. the 822s YES 2 of them use TWICE as much data than the M. I personally dont like the windows phones anyway but thats not the issue im pointing out. my plan consist of 2 822s 3 razr Ms and my Maxx. you can really see the differences in the windows phone as a data hog

Oh yea the battery life in the 822 is roughly 5-8 hours of moderate use. the M is nearly an all day to the next day phone :cool:

Hmmm, I was actually thinking I could save data on the 822 with more expandable memory, fully downloaded maps and data sense?

halimaw96

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Razr I, which is the Razr M's Intel cousin. I bought it after a horrible experience with my 920, and I can honestly say that Moto's got a winner with these two phones. The Razr's got great battery life, and Google Now is really useful, if not a little creepy. If you're willing to tinker with your phone, I say get the Razr M. WP8 is full of bugs.

NickNick43

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So, thank you all for all the opinions. I am a day into my 14 day "trial" and went with...the Lumia. Still keep going back and forth about this and of all things it's mainly just the form factor of the phone itself. Even kicking around the idea of the RAZR HD. Watching my GF have fits with her Droid Charge makes me feel better about being back on WP, although, it is a Droid Charge, lol

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, don't compare your experience with the Droid Charge..haha

Both the 822 and M are really really nice! You've got a tough decision!