Build Quality?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone heard anything other than that the build quality is superb? In other words, details? I've been told the Maxx and RAZR both had great build qualities but I disagree. Panels move and creak like crazy and while it's manageable, that's my idea of a bad build. I'm hoping this doesn't suffer from the same issues as after holding the iPhone 5, I expect Motorola to step it up this time.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
My Maxx doesn't creak at all? I would expect the regular razr to creak a little bit. It is so thin that there isn't a lot of structural support. I think the battery may be helping the maxx stay so rigid. Something you may wanna keep in mind though, is the Kevlar. The material properties for Kevlar indicate a level of flex, more so than say, aluminum, or carbon fiber. This flex makes the phone more durable, less brittle and more impact resistant than Aluminum, or CF.

Sorry I went off on a bit of a tangent. Back to your original statement... If your phone has moving panels or creaking parts, maybe you should exchange. The 3 Razr Maxx phones I have dealt with (mine, my wifes, and my cousins) have all been quite solid. I would hope most are like ours but maybe we just lucked out. Also, my wife owned a Droid X2 before the maxx and that thing was rock solid as well. So I guess speaking from my own personal experiences with Moto products, I do feel like they are superb. I am yet to own anything bad from Moto.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My Maxx doesn't creak at all? I would expect the regular razr to creak a little bit. It is so thin that there isn't a lot of structural support. I think the battery may be helping the maxx stay so rigid. Something you may wanna keep in mind though, is the Kevlar. The material properties for Kevlar indicate a level of flex, more so than say, aluminum, or carbon fiber. This flex makes the phone more durable, less brittle and more impact resistant than Aluminum, or CF.

Sorry I went off on a bit of a tangent. Back to your original statement... If your phone has moving panels or creaking parts, maybe you should exchange. The 3 Razr Maxx phones I have dealt with (mine, my wifes, and my cousins) have all been quite solid. I would hope most are like ours but maybe we just lucked out. Also, my wife owned a Droid X2 before the maxx and that thing was rock solid as well. So I guess speaking from my own personal experiences with Moto products, I do feel like they are superb. I am yet to own anything bad from Moto.

The refurbished units creak badly. Not just me but all my friends too. The new original ones were fine. Motorola overall makes great phones but the RAZR doesnt seem as stable build wise. I know about the Kevlar giving but in no way should all of the plastic panels creak loudly and push in. Oh well, I want the HD anyways.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it was those few models I've ever owned.... I'd like to think they've improved.

As I said in other threads - my RAZR Maxx was great out of the box. The replacement(s) have all sucked.

Oh well. I hope the HD is an improvement.

boatman11

Banned
Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
As I said in other threads - my RAZR Maxx was great out of the box. The replacement(s) have all sucked.

Oh well. I hope the HD is an improvement.

And that may be the only issue then, the replacement phones which one would assume are probably refurbished.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
techgeek32, I agree! I have not heard one creak or felt a moving part yet. After surveying the phone a little bit I realize why. It's heavier than the Maxx and I'm assuming because of the better materials. The top corners are covered but the bottom are not and you can see it's screwed together. I would like to believe the top is also the same way and this would be why it's so well built. Just like cars and their dashboards now, the original Droid RAZR was held in by clips thus causing creaks and rattles.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
What about the lock/power button. Is it loose like the maxx? Or a nice firm button?

Transmitted from the cutting edge of my electronic shaving device

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
What about the lock/power button. Is it loose like the maxx? Or a nice firm button?

Transmitted from the cutting edge of my electronic shaving device
Firm. The buttons are firm. There is not anything sloppy about this phones construction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance