So is this phone going to be un-rootable?

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I read somewhere that developers are thinking that there probably won't be a root method because it is locked down in some different kind of way. This can't be? The RAZR was locked as well and we still had a good dev community so hopefully it isn't so.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
All electronics are meant to be hacked. No security is unhackable. Remember that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I saw that Verizon was locking the boot loader with no way of unlocking it and they were also including a root counter.

So for example it would be like this

Never rooted : 0/0
Rooted : 1/1
Previously rooted but now unrooted : 0/1

See the catch, its supposed to be built into the bootloader, so unless your a master hacker there is no way of removing it. I also read that they may be including it in most of their future phones at vzw as well.

IMO its isn't fair that they can tell you what you can/cannot do with your phone, you paid for it. Its kind of like that court case a few years ago involving a dude who was having people pay him to jailbreak their ps3. While he owned the system, he didn't own the rights to the software thus he wasn't allowed to jailbreak them anymore or Sony would bring him up on criminal charges.

I don't see why vzw can get away with this though, they don't own the software either since android is open source.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You can legally root the device but Verizon holds the right to say you voided warranty by doing so. But I believe Verizon would need to prove your root caused the issue which is hard to do.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I do not understand why Google allows them to still lock the bootloader. I am half tempted to buy the dev version of the razr hd but probably wont.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I do not understand why Google allows them to still lock the bootloader. I am half tempted to buy the dev version of the razr hd but probably wont.

Because it's neither a Google nor Android device--they have no real authority in the matter.

In reality, it's an Android-based device that's made by a separate manufacturer (firewalls count) and sold by a major corporation (Verizon) with a variety of financial and legal interests and restraints . If locking the bootloader allows them to sleep at night, meaning it can be justified by citing reduced risk, higher overall customer satisfaction, and most importantly, greater shareholder profits, then they can do just as they please :).

dirkbonn

May 19, 2010
Visit site
You can legally root the device but Verizon holds the right to say you voided warranty by doing so. But I believe Verizon would need to prove your root caused the issue which is hard to do.

If Verizons warranty states that the act of rooting voids the warranty then all they have to prove is that you rooted the phone. It doesn't matter whether or not the act of rooting caused the reason you are asking for a warranty replacement. If they do indeed have the root counting software installed on the phone, this is all the proof they need to deny warranty.

Multi-billion dollar corporations cover thier bases. They might miss a few but when they find out about the ones they missed, they'll act quickly to cover those too.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If Verizons warranty states that the act of rooting voids the warranty then all they have to prove is that you rooted the phone. It doesn't matter whether or not the act of rooting caused the reason you are asking for a warranty replacement. If they do indeed have the root counting software installed on the phone, this is all the proof they need to deny warranty.

Multi-billion dollar corporations cover thier bases. They might miss a few but when they find out about the ones they missed, they'll act quickly to cover those too.

They still have to remain within the confines of the law.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
My guess is they have more lawyers on retainer to handle this stuff than I have fingers and toes.

Possibly (probably), but the chances of Verizon clerks understanding the legal distinction between void (what most people think it rooting does) and voidable (what it really does IMO) is...slim to none. And really, that's what counts. In reality, they're not going to dock you unless (1) they know your phone is rooted/unlocked, (2) rooting actually and practically caused the harm to the device, (3) they can actually link the software to the defect and show or support causation, and/or (4) you catch them on a really bad day.

Plus, with some devices (*ehem* Nexii *ehem*) it's too easy to return them to stock.

dirkbonn

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Possibly (probably), but the chances of Verizon clerks understanding the legal distinction between void (what most people think it rooting does) and voidable (what it really does IMO) is...slim to none. And really, that's what counts. In reality, they're not going to dock you unless (1) they know your phone is rooted/unlocked, (2) rooting actually and practically caused the harm to the device, (3) they can actually link the software to the defect and show or support causation, and/or (4) you catch them on a really bad day.

Plus, with some devices (*ehem* Nexii *ehem*) it's too easy to return them to stock.

Like I said earlier, multi billion dollar corps cover their bases. Even if a cleck approves a warranty replacement and authorizes you be sent a new or CLNR phone, when you return your phone, your phone will be checked and if the tech finds that your phone was previouly rooted, the warranty replacement will be denied and you will be notified of the decision. You will also be informed that your account will be assesed the full retail price of the phone you rec'd.

Again, multi-billion dollar corporations cover their bases. That's why they are multi-billion dollar corporations and not just a "mom & pop" corner store.

Of course, there's always a chance that a few will slip through the cracks. So if you're a gambling man, go for it!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Like I said earlier, multi billion dollar corps cover their bases. Even if a cleck approves a warranty replacement and authorizes you be sent a new or CLNR phone, when you return your phone, your phone will be checked and if the tech finds that your phone was previouly rooted, the warranty replacement will be denied and you will be notified of the decision. You will also be informed that your account will be assesed the full retail price of the phone you rec'd.

Again, multi-billion dollar corporations cover their bases. That's why they are multi-billion dollar corporations and not just a "mom & pop" corner store.

Of course, there's always a chance that a few will slip through the cracks. So if you're a gambling man, go for it!

That depends on a variety of factors. First off is whether or not there's a root counter. Secondly is whether or not the phone can turn on. Thirdly, and somewhat probably, is whether the factory images and any sort of "evidence" has been gone.

I've had 4 CLN replacements of the Galaxy Nexus. You know how many times they "knew" I was rooted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22