Upgrade from Maxx to Maxx HD - My thoughts

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
It should get better but also depends on several factors. Signal being 3G or 4G, is it searching constantly, refresh of applications such as Facebook in the background, screen brightness, internet usage, talk time, screen on time, etc.

I'm at 8 hours and 12 minutes with 51% battery left. My talk time is 35 minutes and 2 hours and 35 minutes of screen time. I've been using the internet and Tapatalk nearly all day when the screen was on and fluctuating between 4G and 3G. Auto screen brightness has been at a high level because I'm constantly in a bright room. This battery has lasted a long time for what I'm doing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Yeah I'm guessing I probably have a snake bit unit. This ain't my first Android rodeo. I've gone ahead and set nearly everything to minimize power utilization and still getting this. At least I can do an in store exchange still and don't have to wait for a replacement. Downside is that dammit I have to spend 2 hours setting everything up again. Ugh.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm guessing I probably have a snake bit unit. This ain't my first Android rodeo. I've gone ahead and set nearly everything to minimize power utilization and still getting this. At least I can do an in store exchange still and don't have to wait for a replacement. Downside is that dammit I have to spend 2 hours setting everything up again. Ugh.

I will be monitoring my phone while I'm in the return period just in case. All seems great but who knows. That's why I keep a close eye on it during the return period.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I have to remark that the battery in my HD MAXX has been excellent, especially compared to my previous Galaxy Nexus.
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the brightness setting is high from the factory so i recommend setting it on AUTO. i also kicked that weather/clock widget to the curb. I replaced it with HD Widgets. Finally, go into your accounts settings and disable the synchronization of things that you never use (ie: google movies, books, google plus, etc...).

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yea I noticed in a video review the Gallery app seems alot smoother than on any Motorola Android phone before. Thats a plus.

Nice write up. I will be coming from a regular RAZR.

I made that same upgrade and I would say it is indeed worth it. The battery on this thing is insane.

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm at 14 hours, 11% battery left, but in that 14 hours I've had the screen on for 6 and a half hours and used the GPS for an hour. I also did several reboots throughout the day. I think it's performing better than my regular Maxx did. It's almost making me wonder if I should have gone with the regular Razr (I wanted a white phone this time around). Because today is nowhere near typical use for me.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm telling you guys, this battery is insane. Yesterday I took the phone if the charger at 5am, used the phone for about an hour browsing the Web and sending some messages....a few quick phone calls. I had a 100 miles bike race that took about 4.5 hours, and I was going in/out of coverage a lot. Got done, made some calls, took a bunch of pictures, used the mobile hot spot to provide a connection to my laptop for about 45 minutes, used GPS and navigation to get me to a restaurant, spent the evening browsing the Web/Facebook and chatting with some friends via text and google talk. This was all on LTE and no wifi. At 9:30 pm the battery was at 58%! My RAZR would have died while I was in my race.

I have 4 email accounts in the email app...three are IMAP and one us Exchange Corporate email. I have gmail setup, as well as Facebook syncing. I have the circle widget on the screen, and have wifi/bluetooth/GPS all on. Screen brightness set to auto. I'm in awe at the battery life.

CollegePartyBoy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
My quick thoughts:

I came from a Rezound. Loved the phone, beautiful display. I was tired of Verizon not supporting HTC, so time for a change.
Tried to love the Galaxy S3. Too plasticy, the display looked cartoonish, and the amount of crap overlayed on it was obnoxious.

Bought this phone the first day.
Love the entire feel of it! High quality, light, beautiful.
I think the display is gorgeous. The Rezound still has the best screen. This is not far behind. I read reviews complaining about the pentile display. I don't get it. Do people study it through a magnifying glass.
The battery is so unbelievable. I travel on planes every week. Cannot believe I won't have to carry a second battery.
The little amount of Blur on it makes it so enjoyable!
The sound quality through the phone is excellent. It's still a phone, so that's a big deal.

My issues with it.

The camera is complete crap. Worthless. I hope there is some update they can do to improve it. But I doubt it.
Sometimes there is lag, swiping between screens.
The first day I had it, it was warming to 102 degrees. I must've stopped something in the background. No problems since.

That's it. I would give it 4 stars, possibly 4.5.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have been considering the HD but the loss of MotoCast and if I heard correctly, webtop is gone too, I've decided that the screen is not yet worth loosing those functions and my unlimited data. I'll still be following this thread for updates though. Still part of the Maxx family:)

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yea Moto actually stated they were doing away with Web top. Moto cast is news to me. I rarely use Moto cast but I use it alot more than Web top. First fm radios, now Moto cast.... My next phone might be an old phone. Will still enjoy the Maxx HD when it gets delivered next week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

jtl

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
What was your screen on time? Mine us nothing like this.
I'm telling you guys, this battery is insane. Yesterday I took the phone if the charger at 5am, used the phone for about an hour browsing the Web and sending some messages....a few quick phone calls. I had a 100 miles bike race that took about 4.5 hours, and I was going in/out of coverage a lot. Got done, made some calls, took a bunch of pictures, used the mobile hot spot to provide a connection to my laptop for about 45 minutes, used GPS and navigation to get me to a restaurant, spent the evening browsing the Web/Facebook and chatting with some friends via text and google talk. This was all on LTE and no wifi. At 9:30 pm the battery was at 58%! My RAZR would have died while I was in my race.

I have 4 email accounts in the email app...three are IMAP and one us Exchange Corporate email. I have gmail setup, as well as Facebook syncing. I have the circle widget on the screen, and have wifi/bluetooth/GPS all on. Screen brightness set to auto. I'm in awe at the battery life.

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I've had the new Maxx HD since launch day on Thursday and can't say enough positive things about it. I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus and a Droid X prior to that. The ONLY thing I miss about the G-Nex is Jelly Bean, but we should all be seeing it soon on our Razr's before the end of the year if Moto keeps their promise. I used the crap out of this phone on Friday and was beyond impressed with the battery life. I got 19 hours out of it including nearly 9 hours of screen-on time. I was LUCKY to get 2 hours of screen-on time with my G-Nex before it died. The screen looks stunning to me, and definitely brighter with colors that pop a bit more than the Nexus. I think Moto did a good job with the new stock launcher, but I still switched to Nova Prime and it works very fluidly. I find this phone to be snappier and faster in general than the Nexus. My old Blackberry bluetooth headset and Blackberry stereo gateway sync'd up immediately, as did my Wifi. I haven't used the camera much so far but it's perfectly acceptable in my opinion, at least for indoor shots with decent light. I think anyone who purchases one of these will be happy overall.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised the display is getting such rave reviews. I finally got some hands-on time with this phone and the first thing I noticed was the display really seemed "off." So, I took out my Droid X, put both on full brightness, and pulled up some web pages. All in all, the Maxx HD's screen is duller, dimmer, and has a yellow tint when compared to my...uh...two-year old phone.

Everything else seemed great, but that display is enough to deter me from buying the Maxx HD and wait for something else.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Has your phone gone into a random bootloop at all? Mines done it twice now, booting into safe mode has corrected the issue. I suspect it's an issue with my Nova Launcher.

blind11

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys first of all i wanna say hi to everyone

I'm new at the forum
I upgrade from my maxx to my maxx hd since the launch day, and I'm very happy with it

There's only one thing that I just don't understand (some of you may have an answer)

On my maxx I used to have a "my music" app (i guess that's a stock app) and now on the maxx hd I cant find it, is really bad because normally when I was playing my music i was able to hit "more" and then set as ringtone
Now from "play music" (the other stock app) on the maxx hd I don't have the same option
REAAALLLY BAAAD

Also on the maxx I was able to set specific ringtones for each contact, I got the same feature on the maxx hd but just using the stock ringtones and I CAN'T pick from my music on my micro sd card

Am I doing something wrong
I'm very new on this Motorola thing
Please help me out I cant stand this situation

Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised the display is getting such rave reviews. I finally got some hands-on time with this phone and the first thing I noticed was the display really seemed "off." So, I took out my Droid X, put both on full brightness, and pulled up some web pages. All in all, the Maxx HD's screen is duller, dimmer, and has a yellow tint when compared to my...uh...two-year old phone.

Everything else seemed great, but that display is enough to deter me from buying the Maxx HD and wait for something else.

It's understandable since you're so used to the LCD screen on the Droid X. The screen of the maxx HD is not off, you're just not used to the AMOLED screens. The RAZR HD or Maxx HD have the nicest amoleds I've personally seen. The S3 a decent 2nd but the s3 is too yellow and has a green tint. These are amoled screens. They all have a certain tinge or tint.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

blind11

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Play music doesn't have the option to set as ringtone or at least i can't find it

And what about the contacts ringtone? Any ideas?

send from my RAZR MAXX HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37