Used to be really easy on the razr maxx

Any ideas on the Maxx HD???
please help!!:confused:

send from my RAZR MAXX HD

Last edited:

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Also on the maxx I was able to set specific ringtones for each contact, I got the same feature on the maxx hd but just using the stock ringtones and I CAN'T pick from my music on my micro sd card
AFAIK this is an Android limitation. If you have been able to do this in the past it was due to the launcher that was put on there by the manufacturer. Since with the MAXX line Moto has really dialed back on Blur they may have removed this ability. So how do you accomplish what you want? You need to create a folder called RINGTONES on your SD card. Then move your ringtones there. Then reboot or dismount and remount the SD card and you can then set up the associations you want.

However if you want to use existing songs on your SD card you have to do a bit of work. You will need to use a ringtone creation app like Ringdroid. Use the app to create a ring tone from a specific song. Then move your created ringtone over to the RINGTONES folder you created on the SD card. Like I said its a bit of work but I prefer this method. It allows me to use only those parts of the song that I feel are pertinent to the individual that it will be associated with.

Please help on Post #34
LOL. You have to give some time to get an answer. Getting a response in an hour is a rare thing in many instances.

blind11

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess on the galaxy note there is not a problem of this kind

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350942685467.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350942685467.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 37

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess on the galaxy note there is not a problem of this kind
That's a function courtesy of TouchWhiz. It's a change Samsung made to Android. Let me give you another example. Moto also made a change to Blur that changes ICS. Under ICS the ringtone and the notification tone are tied together. HTC in their Sense version of ICS maintained this. I find it to be a stupid decision. Apparently Moto does too. So via Blur you can control the sounds independently. If they didn't, there are apps that enable this functionality. Oh and another way you can do what you want to do; If you use Handcent as your SMS/MMS client, when you go to select a ring tone or notification tone, it enables you to do what you want. If you don't use it maybe another application will enable that functionality. That's the beautiful thing about Android, if you need it, there is most likely an app for that (yes I just said it).

blind11

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation Hes
like I said, I'm very new at this
I guess I gotta keep looking for some apps to help me on this
And definitely that's one of my favorite things about androids
There's a lot of apps to choose from

Thanks again

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation Hes
like I said, I'm very new at this
I guess I gotta keep looking for some apps to help me on this
And definitely that's one of my favorite things about androids
There's a lot of apps to choose from

Thanks again

Look at it this way, its not necessarily the number of apps that are available, its the fact that you can customize the phone to fit your needs.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised the display is getting such rave reviews. I finally got some hands-on time with this phone and the first thing I noticed was the display really seemed "off." So, I took out my Droid X, put both on full brightness, and pulled up some web pages. All in all, the Maxx HD's screen is duller, dimmer, and has a yellow tint when compared to my...uh...two-year old phone.

Everything else seemed great, but that display is enough to deter me from buying the Maxx HD and wait for something else.
I had a bit of hands on time also and don't really see the big deal with the screen over my maxx(non HD). i had both on full bright and really thought there was a bit more brightness with the HD but nothing to write home about and not worth the $650 to purchase thats for sure.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had a bit of hands on time also and don't really see the big deal with the screen over my maxx(non HD). i had both on full bright and really thought there was a bit more brightness with the HD but nothing to write home about and not worth the $650 to purchase thats for sure.

Coming from a Maxx I can say I see a huge leap in quality at high brightness. I even put both side by side and the Maxx looks so washed out sorta speak because its not as vibrant and clear to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

drt777

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
McIrish2,
I, too, came over from the BB world and longed for a profile utility - such as I had with BB. What I found was "Timerific" ... which, for me, has worked flawlessly. It permits timed profiles and controls everything including notifications, sounds, wifi, bluetooth, etc. (And no, I'm not a paid sponsor. Just a very satisfied user).

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
McIrish2,
I, too, came over from the BB world and longed for a profile utility - such as I had with BB. What I found was "Timerific" ... which, for me, has worked flawlessly. It permits timed profiles and controls everything including notifications, sounds, wifi, bluetooth, etc. (And no, I'm not a paid sponsor. Just a very satisfied user).

I will definitely be checking that out. Thanks

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
drtask and McIrish2: You really need to check out Smart Actions. You have to "step away" from what you know from Blackberry but Smart Actions can do a lot of really cool things. For example, when I get to work (my trigger is connecting to work wifi) my phone goes to vibrate mode and my screen off changes from my 2 minute default to a 1 minute default.

When I get home (trigger = connecting to home wifi) I have it set up to turn GPS off (don't need it at home), turn phone volume up, and change my wallpaper.

When I get in my car (trigger = bluetooth connection) my phone automatically turns ON GPS and turns OFF wifi and starts the car dock application.

I have a trigger set up so when I walk into my dentist's office my phone turns to silent.

Please check it out. You might be surprised what you can do with them.

To those of you that are working with ringtones and notifications, just an FYI that there are folders on the internal memory and you can save your files there, too. This way if you have your phone connected to your computer via USB your ringtones and notifications will still work (they won't work if you are USB connected to the computer and your sounds are on the memory card).

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
drtask and McIrish2: You really need to check out Smart Actions. You have to "step away" from what you know from Blackberry but Smart Actions can do a lot of really cool things. For example, when I get to work (my trigger is connecting to work wifi) my phone goes to vibrate mode and my screen off changes from my 2 minute default to a 1 minute default.

When I get home (trigger = connecting to home wifi) I have it set up to turn GPS off (don't need it at home), turn phone volume up, and change my wallpaper.

When I get in my car (trigger = bluetooth connection) my phone automatically turns ON GPS and turns OFF wifi and starts the car dock application.

I have a trigger set up so when I walk into my dentist's office my phone turns to silent.

Please check it out. You might be surprised what you can do with them.

To those of you that are working with ringtones and notifications, just an FYI that there are folders on the internal memory and you can save your files there, too. This way if you have your phone connected to your computer via USB your ringtones and notifications will still work (they won't work if you are USB connected to the computer and your sounds are on the memory card).
Thanks, changed some of mine based on this.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well boys & girls, something happened this weekend that caused me to go get a new phone and as you can see from the signature I'm now sporting a Maxx HD. With some creative upgrade options, I was able to keep my Unlimited plan on my line. My stepson, who lost his phone over the weekend got my Maxx but he lost his unlimited data. We upgraded this on his line which changed his account then reactivated it on my line therefore not changing my line. One word, Awesome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

McIrish

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Well boys & girls, something happened this weekend that caused me to go get a new phone and as you can see from the signature I'm now sporting a Maxx HD. With some creative upgrade options, I was able to keep my Unlimited plan on my line. My stepson, who lost his phone over the weekend got my Maxx but he lost his unlimited data. We upgraded this on his line which changed his account then reactivated it on my line therefore not changing my line. One word, Awesome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Congratulations! The Maxx HD is a great phone. Best I've ever had ... so far. :)

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually shocked at how fast this thing is compared to the regular RAZR Maxx. I may miss some of the features that Motorola took away like moto cast and webtop, but I gain NFC which is going to be interesting. I've already used it to buy coffee at my local shop:D

Sent using the Amazing RAZR MaxxHD

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
And more:
Email
The email client is better. It now shows different colored icons in the notification bar so I can instantly see which of my email accounts has a new message. (I have 4)
I can now have different ring tones and the ability to have it vibrate only on some accounts and not globally

Which app is this? I am using the gmail app. I have 2 accounts and it would be nice to know which one I have a message from based on the icon color.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Which app is this? I am using the gmail app. I have 2 accounts and it would be nice to know which one I have a message from based on the icon color.

I think it's in reference to the native email app in ICS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD