Moving Google Play Music from internal storage to SD card

swany1970

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi All. So made all made all my play music available offline now I want to move it to the SD card. Only problem is I can't find the music. I looked everywhere (or so I thought)

Any idea where this is stored? I did a search in Astro for everything from .mp3 to the artist name and it's nowhere to be found.

Thanks!

swany1970

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone? I've checked all folders and they're empty. Music data and cache folders.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
See if it's in your media-->music in your internal SD. That's how it used to store with my phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket using AC Forums

swany1970

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
See if it's in your media-->music in your internal SD. That's how it used to store with my phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket using AC Forums

Thanks I checked there as well but it's still in the Bermuda triangle. Lost. I thought there was a bug at one time regarding missing files with the Google Music I could be mistaken though.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Google music cache can only be in the internal storage. The app does store the songs as mp3 but it also renames the files.

swany1970

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Google music cache can only be in the internal storage. The app does store the songs as mp3 but it also renames the files.

Wow that's disappointing. Thanks for the info though. I'll stop driving myself crazy now.
Guess I won't put more than 10 gb of music on my phone then.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Play finds music on the SD card. I swapped the card from my old phone and it found it and plays it. There's got to be a way to export the music, maybe to a PC, and then to copy it to the card.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Play finds music on the SD card. I swapped the card from my old phone and it found it and plays it. There's got to be a way to export the music, maybe to a PC, and then to copy it to the card.

That it does, but it seems to have issues with downloaded play lists. If play lists aren't a big deal then mp3s on the external are not a problem.

LaFlamme

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd be real interested in hearing the answer to this one, myself. Spent most of last night searching for those offline files without success. I found several suggestions through a Google search, including /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music/ but my offline music couldn't be found there. A real drag because my internal storage capacity had dropped dramatically and I suspect it was those offline music files. Since I couldn't find them, I had to uninstall GPM and reflash my rom. Huge pain.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd be real interested in hearing the answer to this one, myself. Spent most of last night searching for those offline files without success. I found several suggestions through a Google search, including /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music/ but my offline music couldn't be found there. A real drag because my internal storage capacity had dropped dramatically and I suspect it was those offline music files. Since I couldn't find them, I had to uninstall GPM and reflash my rom. Huge pain.

Others are using large SD cards for music and movies. So ....... are there other players better suited to SD card music and movies? Also the issue of finding files is rather important. Some help from the forum gurus wold be much appreciated. Someone must know these secrets.

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have given up on trying to find the files. Pretty frustrating to having a 32 GB card for just movies and music and not being able to put it on there directly from the phone. PITA to have to download it to the computer and transfer it manually.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Others are using large SD cards for music and movies. So ....... are there other players better suited to SD card music and movies? Also the issue of finding files is rather important. Some help from the forum gurus wold be much appreciated. Someone must know these secrets.

As long as there are apps that will read/write/play files on the card. I have to believe that there are players out there that will work just fine. I just want to find the files we should (music) be able to find internally. The

Chevyracing252

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I am not a guru, and but I do know how to use the search feature in astro.... See the attached screen shot for the path.... This is where Google Play Music stores your music for offline playback, and but good luck figuring out the naming conventions... uploadfromtaptalk1353120070380.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Android Central Forums

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I am not a guru, and but I do know how to use the search feature in astro.... See the attached screen shot for the path.... This is where Google Play Music stores your music for offline playback, and but good luck figuring out the naming conventions...

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Android Central Forums
Interesting. I have that directory. When manually moving music from the PC to the Razr I (like the novice I am) moved to the "Music" folder of the root. The files were all WMA format files. The Play Music app (and its widget) found them immediately and could play them. When I found out how large the WMA files were compared to AAC I deleted all and ordered a 64GIG SD so I could put a reasonable amount of music on. What I didn't do is look at the file location(s) when they were on the hand-set to determine what folder they were really in once internal storage was exceeded.

Now I have to ask an even MORE basic question ............. on a 32GB Zazr from the factory: is that 16GB internal with a 16GB SD card? I can't tell from the file manager.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I have that directory. When manually moving music from the PC to the Razr I (like the novice I am) moved to the "Music" folder of the root. The files were all WMA format files. The Play Music app (and its widget) found them immediately and could play them. When I found out how large the WMA files were compared to AAC I deleted all and ordered a 64GIG SD so I could put a reasonable amount of music on. What I didn't do is look at the file location(s) when they were on the hand-set to determine what folder they were really in once internal storage was exceeded.

Now I have to ask an even MORE basic question ............. on a 32GB Zazr from the factory: is that 16GB internal with a 16GB SD card? I can't tell from the file manager.
No. A 32GB phone has no SD card.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! So ......... we fill internal storage with movies/music. Where then are these kinds of files placed out on the external SD card. Or can music / movie players be pointed to any folders on the SD cards where these files might be located?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Many thanks! My 64gb card arrives Tuesday. Hope to have music on it soon after that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Rj Anderson

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by "You set up your SD card..."? I just bought a 32GB Class 10 card for my Maxx HD. I installed it but is there something else I need to do to set it up?

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The way I set mine up is that I set up folders under the extCard directory. 1 for Music, 1 for Photos, 1 for Videos. And I directed the corresponding apps to save to these locations.