wifi issue cutting in and out

jonson74

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
my wifi signal is cutting in and out every 10-20 minutes . It will cut out for only a about 2 seconds but it does and when it happens if i am searching or using the phone for wifi related things it will just cut out. Like for example in goggle in will say search cant be found. The signal shows only fair and I am only about 50 feet from router.If It sucks to have a nice phone like this and this do be a issue. I notice that my cell signal is low but that was always a issue with my bb, I am not sure if that is what could be causing it but its not right.

I had a blackberry before and never had a issue with wifi and have a laptop and signal is excellent.

jonson74

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
what kind of router are you using? I am using a linksys WRT54GS. Its at least 4 years old and was thinking that might be part of the problem but the strange thing is,I dont have any issue with any other device on it. When it happens I see the bars change from white to blue and then cuts out.

Please keep me updated and if anyone else can tell me how there wifi is and what router they are using.

Thanks

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I have a Asus router. Laptop as well as my wife's gs3 connect fine. I'm rooted as well so I hope that's not some kind of indirect culprit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No issues with my Linksys e3000 router. I can understand the frustration because my friends have no issues with their Asus gaming routers but when I set it up it failed for me on the same devices they used. And they just plugged and played while I tried everything. :-/

Complications suck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

jonson74

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
No issues with my Linksys e3000 router. I can understand the frustration because my friends have no issues with their Asus gaming routers but when I set it up it failed for me on the same devices they used. And they just plugged and played while I tried everything. :-/

Complications suck.

I

have now tried 3 different locations, so I now its not a router problem. Signal strength will be great and then all of a sudden it will drop lower and then drop out completly. It will then go back to normal. This will take place with the phone just sitting there and not even holding it. You really wouldn't notice it unless you monitor the wifi for a while.

So its either a problem with these phone or this phone is defective.

Anyone notice there signal on wifi go up and down if they monitor it with the phone in the same place?

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
have now tried 3 different locations, so I now its not a router problem. Signal strength will be great and then all of a sudden it will drop lower and then drop out completly. It will then go back to normal. This will take place with the phone just sitting there and not even holding it. You really wouldn't notice it unless you monitor the wifi for a while.

So its either a problem with these phone or this phone is defective.

Anyone notice there signal on wifi go up and down if they monitor it with the phone in the same place?

I had a Motorola Atrix HD for AT&T. I had the same wifi issues. Would connect, and the little symbol in the wifi would pop up. Then I would try a search and gone. No more symbol and would not connect. Then 1 minute later starts working again. I traded the phone in for another Atrix HD. From a different store as well. That also still had the same exact problem. And they also duplicate it. I got tired of the wifi issue so I just got out of the phone for another phone. Then come to find out about 3 weeks later Motorola and AT&T sent an update to fix all the WiFi issues. Ugh! But now I have a One X and love it. So you might be lucky and have an update eventually. But I would definitely try trading the phone in for another new phone first to try it. Just to see if that 1 is better. Seems to be a Motorola issue.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Try changing the wifi advanced settings away from auto. That 100% fixed my problems.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
oh really? Mine is 2.4 / 5 / auto. Might be due to my router outputting that then. hmph. well that did fix it for me. maybe 2 different issues?

jonson74

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
oh really? Mine is 2.4 / 5 / auto. Might be due to my router outputting that then. hmph. well that did fix it for me. maybe 2 different issues?

yea mine is only 2.4. I have tried 3 different locations with wifi and same issue. Happens randomly, but other devices work perfectly. I am going to exchange and see what happens. It s a great phone but I can live with this.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
do you mean the channel settings? thats the only setting that is on auto.

Thanks

I think he means Wi-Fi frequency selection in the Advanced settings. In the Wi-Fi menu, hit menu key and go to advanced. The Wi-Fi frequency will be set to auto. Change it to the frequency you will be on. I have not changed mine though.

I see he posted that already. Lol

jigz23

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got mine today and i'm having the same issue. Signal will be strong and it will cut out completely suddenly and then reconnect. This is getting quite annoying. I've tried everything, wifi not going to sleep, changing frequency to 2.4. Nothing. This better not be a hardware issue...

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
For me, I am keeping a solid connection at work so I know it's not the phone hardware (thank goodness). However I'm still having the issue at home. I did not see this post until today, so tonight I will try changing the advanced settings to keep it on 2.4 GHZ (rather than auto). I have been connecting with more reliability using 5 ghz at home so if this doesn't fix it then my next step will be resetting the router to stock (because at work I'm using 2.4 ghz and I'm not going to call it a solution if I have to constantly change my settings).

Anyway I hope I don't have to go there with resetting the router.

UPDATE: I changed the frequency to 2.4 rather than auto and it did not fix my issue.

Last edited:

unw1red

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have seen this issue as well. I am running an enterprise WiFi solution with three 802.11abgn access points in my home. The phone prefers .11an 40MHz but can use 20MHz HT.

It appears that the phone does a DHCP request every time it changes APs. This is nonstandard.

It also shows low signal when in fact it has a very good SNR.

I am going to do an Omnipeek capture today so that I may file a bug with Moto/Google if necessary.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Most of what you said is Greek to me but glad you seem to understand what the issue might be. It has led me to 3 questions:
1) Does this mean doing a complete factory restore on my router will likely result in no change/fix to the issue I'm experiencing?
2) Does what you said above explain why my phone seems to prefer the 5 GHZ space? Drop ins are very fequent using 2.4 but 5 seems to hold a lot more steady.
3) Why does the wifi signal hold rock solid in some situations and not others? At work I never lose the connection (we have repeaters everywhere so it's one big, massive network), but at home I'm experiencing frequent drops.

unw1red

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Let me try to demystify this for you.

The biggest issue with smartphones is that their WiFi cards have been below the standards of tablets and laptops. They have made leaps and bounds in the last year, but they have a ways to come.

All roaming decisions (moving from one AP to another, switching bands, etc.) are made by the wireless client. That being said, Android does not have a true Enterprise grade supplicant (software that runs the WiFi card). Until this happens, some phones may try to stick on the first AP they see until you bounce the WiFi connection.

Resetting your AP has nothing to do with it unless it is in some sort of quasi-reliable state. The decisions are made by the phone anyway.

New technologies such as band steering and spectrum load balancing will be coming to retail-grade access points in the near future. This will help your AP "assist" the client in making a better decision on how to connect to the wireless network.

You want your phone to connect to 5GHz (802.11a). It is the cleaner band it offers better throughput when in crowded RF environments. There are currently 9 802.11an channels available and 802.11g only has three.

When your AP/router is capable of 802.11an 40MHz channel bonding, perfomance becomes even better. The Moto Razr Maxx HD is the first phone (excluding Apple products) that seems to be capable of doing this. If the WiFi chip in your phone has channel bonding, and capable of understanding multiple AP streams, you can now realize up to a 300Mbps connect rate. That's freaking awesome!!

Due to the constraints of architecture in the phone, though, your mileage may vary. My Razr Maxx HD has only seen a top connection rate of 150Mbps so far. I am still testing.

I hope this is relative to this discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante