Smart Actions "Meeting"

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I thought I'd warn you all in case you do what I did and don't know what the heck is going on.

There is a prebuilt Meeting Rule Smart Action. It has an icon of a calendar. It is actually really cool as you can set it up so that any time you have an appointment on your calendar the phone automatically goes to silent (and you can set up other things as well).

So I was trying to set up a smart action that would put my phone on silent when I was at a specific location. I didn't like the default icon so I changed it...to the one that looks like a calendar. Now keep in mind my Smart Action had NOTHING in it that was part of the prebuilt Meeting Rule.

I had my calendar blocked from 1:00 - 3:00, knowing my appointment was at 1:30 and I wanted to give myself 30 minutes to commute there and 30 minutes back. And as I was sitting at home playing/tweaking my new phone suddenly my phone went from a regular ringer to silent (speaker with the line through it). And my CUSTOM rule I had created was activated, even though my trigger was supposed to be the location and I was no where near the location.

Turns out it had to do with the icon I used. For whatever weird reason, the calendar icon "forced" my custom rule to trigger like the prebuilt Meeting Rule (and that rule states that the phone goes to silent at the start of a meeting on your calendar).

Once I created the rule without the calendar icon it worked as expected. Oh, and while it was working weird with the calendar icon, the actions within the smart action did not have the silent mode so I couldn't even try to update it to fix it.

Hopefully that all made sense.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not to me. You'd have to step by step for me to follow but I really don't like my phone to do anything automatically anyway.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Haha...it confused the heck out of me, too. Bottom line...be careful about changing icons for your custom smart actions, because in my case using an icon that belonged to a factory installed smart action resulted in my custom smart action taking on some (but not all) of the defaults of the factory installed one.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I wish there was a way to use the Meeting option and tie it to my Good App calendar.

That would be a nice option, but Good is designed to not really "interact" like that. I'm with you on that though. For myself, my work added wifi so I at least can set up a smart action to get it to vibrate only while at work and all the hotspots have the same name in all the buildings. But I'd probably take it a step further if the meeting notification worked in Good and change it from vibrate to completely silent.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer