Screen Quality?

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Then why point out what part is opinion? The only reason one would do that is to attempt to discredit the contents of said post.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Then why point out what part is opinion? The only reason one would do that is to attempt to discredit the contents of said post.

Those 2 parts are the only parts I bolded and talked about in detail.....because I didnt agree. I even agreed about the blue tint, whites n brightness. And I just added 2 more things that might turn ppl off of Amoled screens. I just try to show both sides of the coin, and many times things arent as bad as ppl make it.

I think this is an accurate assessment:

so its the SAMOLED technology, which it seems you either love or hate... obviously most are fine with it or they wouldn't continue to crank these things out...

Ajw

I used to be a die hard LCD fan....until I spent time with an Amoled screen. Now I like Amoled screens. There are different degrees of Amoled screen issues: some have no black splotches, some have many; some have yellow tint issues, some have no tint issues, etc. It is what it is with Amoled screens. I just know that having 2-3 phones with both screen technologies....neither one is clear cut better than the other. They both have pros n cons. What cons ppl see and can live with or hate depends on that individual. What made me a fan of Amoled screens is looking at Netflix on my Rezound and RAZR, and looking at Netflix outside.

Last edited:

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
My entire point was about the blue tint. So do you or don't you agree?

Yes, I agree/agreed that I see blue tint. I will also say....I give up....lol. And say that Amoled screens arent perfect and can have issues that can be deal breakers to some.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
We do it in the firearms industry on certain board. The idea is to give give factual information. Facts are neither good nor bad. This we help our fellow consumers make a better formed decision. It's quite all right for someone to post their opinion. The only thing we do is self police so that when it is opinion it is clearly stated. It is not meant as an attack

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
We do it in the firearms industry on certain board. The idea is to give give factual information. Facts are neither good nor bad. This we help our fellow consumers make a better formed decision. It's quite all right for someone to post their opinion. The only thing we do is self police so that when it is opinion it is clearly stated. It is not meant as an attack

The words I bolded are opinion.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I was at Best Buy again today and was checking out screens after reading this post. I really have to say I wasn't impressed with the Razr screen at all. The sgs3 looked much better for amoled Imo. But the HTC one X just made them all look bad. I have the SGS2 so I am familiar with amoled and I don't hate it but LCD is what I want. I just hope HTC gets the battery thing sorted out.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I was at Best Buy again today and was checking out screens after reading this post. I really have to say I wasn't impressed with the Razr screen at all. The sgs3 looked much better for amoled Imo. But the HTC one X just made them all look bad. I have the SGS2 so I am familiar with amoled and I don't hate it but LCD is what I want. I just hope HTC gets the battery thing sorted out.

I agree on the HTC One X, the screen on that thing is superb and beats the others. But sorry the RAZR HD screen is more crisp and brighter than the s3. It's immediately obvious.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree on the HTC One X, the screen on that thing is superb and beats the others. But sorry the RAZR HD screen is more crisp and brighter than the s3. It's immediately obvious.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

I think one of the reasons I wasn't as impressed by the Razr hd screen was the wallpaper they had on the phone was a horrible over saturated image which didn't help.

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I just received mine as well. Love the build quality. Trying to get around in stock Android after all the skins I have used until now.

However, camera and screen are very disappointing to me the camera is extremely granny blurry in low light how do I don't usually use it. I am mostly disappointed in the screen which has a very yellowish tint to it at all times. Coming from GS 3 i actually believe that the GS3 has a crisper screen; maybe not crisper, but definitely more appealing to the eye. I do appreciate being able to use a smaller font natively.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

ajwells

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Nice to see a variety of responses and acknowledgements of the pluses and minuses of the Razr screen... I do agree its bright, vibrant and good for text and graphics... I thought it much brighter than the GS3 demo in the store and brighter than most SAMOLED screens... if you rarely use the camera you will be happy with this phone... as I say the rest of the phone is incredibly well designed and built...

Ajw

alex1zdorke

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
So I picked up this phone from Best Buy last Sunday and pretty much love it. Comming from a Bionic, this phone pretty much trumps my former phone in every way. Although there is one thing that caught my eye when using it at night or a dimly lit room. There seems to be a inconsistent blacklight when background it just black. Looks just like airbubbles right before you install a screen protector but I don't have one installed. You can only see it when the back ground is black and not with other colors. Anyone elses phone like this? I'd like someone to chime in to see if I'm being too OCD or is this normal.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
So I picked up this phone from Best Buy last Sunday and pretty much love it. Comming from a Bionic, this phone pretty much trumps my former phone in every way. Although there is one thing that caught my eye when using it at night or a dimly lit room. There seems to be a inconsistent blacklight when background it just black. Looks just like airbubbles right before you install a screen protector but I don't have one installed. You can only see it when the back ground is black and not with other colors. Anyone elses phone like this? I'd like someone to chime in to see if I'm being too OCD or is this normal.

What you see is this:

I will even add a few more areas that Amoled screens will irritate ppl: brightness all the way down may make it look green and black splotches on all black screens in certain instances.

Like I mentioned the other day, I dont claim that Amoled screens are the best or perfect, I just try to be realistic about it. I also know they arent as bad as some ppl make it. I dont know if my Maxx HD has it, my RAZR from last year does...my PS Vita does...other phones with Amoled screens does...and my Vita is worse than my RAZR. I never really tested to see how bad it is on my Maxx HD or of I even have it. There is a screen color app that can help one to see it easy. Will look thru my old apps and edit this post ....app is called Dead Pixel Test. Put it on the black screen and look at your phone in a dark or dim room. You will need some type of small or dim light to see if you have splotches. I use my kitchen that has a night light. Now I'm checking...lol. I either dont have them or I cant see it as good as I can on my RAZR and Vita. Also goes back to what I said the other day about the degree of the issue....

Couple of interesting things just happend. I put both side by side and I cant see any splotches on my Maxx HD...and my Maxx HD looks whiter n brighter than my RAZR. My Maxx HD also looks blacker.

Last edited:

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Put the brightness at 50%, set a background/wallpaper that is white, and then tell me there isn't a blue tint to the screen when placed beside another device that has a nice screen like the EVO I had. It may appear to look good by itself, but then when it is side by side with another screen it is not even close to good. The images and text are sharp and clear, but the color leaves a lot to be desired.

I compared the Maxx HD right beside my SGIII and GNex. The Maxx display is brighter and whiter than the others. The SGIII is a bluish screen and the GNex is more of a grayish and dull display. The Maxx display is crisper and easier to read outside. The display has saturated colors like most AMOLED displays, but out of the three devices the SGIII is the worst of the three. The best test is too open a Kindle Book on all three and compare sise by side. The Maxx HD wins by a landslide. It is not as good as some of the 500+nit IPS displays on the LG devices or the higher end SLCD 2 displays. If you can wait, there should be a 5" HTC device coming to Verizon by the end of this year, The new Nexus or one of the True Black Nokia Windows 8 devices. Unfortunately, none of those devices will have the total package of the Maxx HD. If a camera is your most important feature than definately purchase something different, but if you are more interested in battery life, email, video, navigation, storage capacity (mine has 96GB of storage), call quality, signal strength and bluetooth stability there is no competition for the Maxx HD right now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech