Those that switched from GS3 to Maxx HD

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered a new Maxx HD coming from a GS3. From those that have made the switch is there anything in particular that could be a concern, cause any trouble for me, or anything I will really miss? I love the idea of phenomenal battery life without the bulk of an extended battery. I don't use S-voice much and have never used S-Beam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yep. I miss the camera and that is it. This phones camera struggles in low light like you would never believe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

viskey

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
i agree, i just gave the wife my S3 for this. I love the phone, except the camera is terrible. considering going back to s3 or waiting for an upcoming device. i need to have a camera that works at least decent. this thing is called HD but the camera seems to be in the "analog" category.

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it is the reason why I a am considering the Note 2. I am torn

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I switched boats from the GS3 to the Maxx HD but camera isn't a huge factor for me since I had a Galaxy Nexus for a long time too and was use to garbage cameras lol. From what I used it yesterday, it isn't all that terrible, its just not on par with other devices out there (GS3, OneX, iPhone 5). Best thing for me is the feel of the phone. The Razr MAXX HD feels so perfect in my hand, has some good weight to it to make it seem like your holding something expensive, but not too heavy like the Thunderbolt was.

I am running Nova Launcher on my phone as well and its smooth as silk.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback so far. Camera is not that big a deal for me either. I rarely use mine now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

hawkman610

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I miss the S3's camera. That is really the only thing I miss about the S3, and I miss it a lot. Low light and shutter speed on this camera are killing me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Android Central Forums

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I miss the S3's camera. That is really the only thing I miss about the S3, and I miss it a lot. Low light and shutter speed on this camera are killing me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Android Central Forums

Someone on another forum said he had great luck with camera zoom fx in the Google pay store, I would try that, sounds like it's just a stock camera app problem

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Someone on another forum said he had great luck with camera zoom fx in the Google pay store, I would try that, sounds like it's just a stock camera app problem

It is a very good app, I purchased it when it was on sale a while ago and probably going to redownload it if I find that after using the camera more extensively it becomes a problem. I just have come to accept that any phone that Motorola will make will have a terrible camera.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Is there any hope that camera issues can be fixed with an app or update or is it known to be hardware related?

I've got a maxx hd myself so I wonder why some are swithing from gs3 to maxx hd? Sounds like you have nothing bad to say about the gs3 and little good to say about the maxx hd?

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there any hope that camera issues can be fixed with an app or update or is it known to be hardware related?

I've got a maxx hd myself so I wonder why some are swithing from gs3 to maxx hd? Sounds like you have nothing bad to say about the gs3 and little good to say about the maxx hd?

Bad to say about sgs3?

Touchwiz
Ugly
Plastic

It's great with cm10 imho but didn't hold a candle to the build, battery and radio that Motorola has. Camera isn't great and certainly isn't as good, but that's the only downfall.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Several reasons that I switched:

Maxx HD has better:

Call quality
Signal strength
Bluetooth pairing and sound quality
Battery Life
Brighter and crisper display
Louder speaker and better speakerphone
More like stock Android
Better spec benchmarks
"No" physical home button
Not as wide
Better build quality
Smart actions
Better and more robust email client
Car dock
Stronger WiFi signal
Better quality accessories

The camera does not match the SGIII, but is better than the GNex and the video recording sound quality blows the SGIII out of the water. I dont regret my decision at all. Of course, if you can wait a month or two there should be several new options from Verizon for smartphones. I dont like the notification light on the Maxx HD. It is too big and detracts from the high quality finish of the phone.

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Several reasons that I switched:

Maxx HD has better:

Call quality, Signal strength, Bluetooth pairing and sound quality, Battery Life, Brighter and crisper display, Louder speaker and better speakerphone, More like stock Android, Better spec benchmarks, "No" physical home button, Not as wide, Better build quality, Smart actions, Better and more robust email client, Car dock, Stronger WiFi signal, Better quality accessories

The camera does not match the SGIII, but is better than the GNex and the video recording sound quality blows the SGIII out of the water. I dont regret my decision at all. Of course, if you can wait a month or two there should be several new options from Verizon for smartphones. I dont like the notification light on the Maxx HD. It is too big and detracts from the high quality finish of the phone.

Just got a Maxx HD to replace the SGIII as well. The radio on the Maxx is wonderful. The SGIII didn't know if it wanted to be on LTE, 3G, or 1X. And the call quality sucked. The Maxx has mostly stayed on LTE and the battery life can't be beat.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My new Maxx HD has just arrived and I am having fun setting it up. I'm looking forward to seeing how much better this phone is for me. I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. It sounds like I made a good decision.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I really wanted the Maxx HD, but I bought a GS3 to hold me over until it came out. I've had nothing but Motorola phones before (RAZR, Bionic, Droid X, Droid) and loved them, but they have always had crappy cameras. I really fell in love with the GS3s camera and the giant screen, so much that I ordered a Galaxy Note 2.

I still went to Verizon today to play with the Maxx HD just in case i really loved it. Stupid sales guy didn't even know it was out yet. They didn't have a display model or anything. He brought out a really dirty Maxx HD that wasn't activated or charged. It wouldn't even turn on.

I still want to play with it, i really liked the Smart Actions app on my RAZR and the AMAZING battery life. The SG3 doesn't feel as cheap and plasticy as when I first got it, but i don't like that it's white. I ordered my Note 2 in Titanium.

Just got a Maxx HD to replace the SGIII as well. The radio on the Maxx is wonderful. The SGIII didn't know if it wanted to be on LTE, 3G, or 1X. And the call quality sucked. The Maxx has mostly stayed on LTE and the battery life can't be beat.
Yeah I definitely miss the Motorola signal strength.

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I want to expand on my experience....

I was going to switch from my GS3 to the Razr Maxx HD. Prior to switching to Verizon, I was on Sprint with a Photon 4G and with everyone else complaining, I loved my cellphone reception and world capability. When Motorola announced the new phones, I thought... finally. Here I go again!!!

Got the phone today.... Excited out of the box, but with a few caveats. I didn't care about the camera too much, but I do sometimes use it. It is AWFUL. Not just not as good as the GS3, but awful. Ok, I got that out.

I then moved onto the screen. Comparing it to the GS3, it is brighter, but the flaws in it are much more pronounced than what I see in the GS3. On the home screen, the colors are vibrant, maybe a bit too much, but nice. Text is sharp.

Enter tapatalk. I use that very often to read forums. Now, Tapatalk is a bone color, not really white, but on the Maxx it looks yellow. On a Chrome search page, the background is yellowish, not white. This is all with autobrightness set to On. If I turn that off and push the brightness all the way up, it turns to be closer to white, but still not perfect. For general use, though, screen is too dim for my tastes.

Motorola reception - now, here is something that I always look forward to. I think the reception is great. I could hold onto a signal, but not any differently than my GS3. What was strange is that the earpiece was garbled, much more so than I expected. I tried calling multiple numbers, but that didn't change. So either it's my particular unit, or that is a downer on the phone.

Battery life is great, but everyone knew this, and so is the almost vanilla android experience that they give us.

However, for my tastes, I will have to stay with the GS3 for now.... I just wish at least two or the three worked the way I expected them to.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

This is a fantastic app. Also try camera 360.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34