[Guide] Root and/or Load JB on RAZR HD & HD MAXX

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
If I am rooted with the JB leak. How do I do a factory reset that will restore any build.prop problems I may have created? :eek: BTW, recovery reset & cache wipe didn't work.

Thanks!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So how do I do this on a Mac? I see that Mac file there, but its a .7z file and neither I nor my computer seem to have a clue how to open it or what to do with it.

May not be a Mac utility yet for the cmd prompts. You don't need to be rooted if you want jellybean or need to follow these steps if you just want to flash Jelly Bean leak. If you want to flash the Jelly Bean leak and you are on the newest OTA then you just need to download the update zip to your external SD card and boot into recovery and install through there.

If I am rooted with the JB leak. How do I do a factory reset that will restore any build.prop problems I may have created? :eek: BTW, recovery reset & cache wipe didn't work.

Thanks!

Recovery factory restore didn't work? You might have to use the utility to wipe your phone all the way back to original OS.

After running recovery the option I don't see the option to install jb from SD card. Any ideas?

Is it on your external SD card or did you place on the internal memory?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
May not be a Mac utility yet for the cmd prompts. You don't need to be rooted if you want jellybean or need to follow these steps if you just want to flash Jelly Bean leak. If you want to flash the Jelly Bean leak and you are on the newest OTA then you just need to download the update zip to your external SD card and boot into recovery and install through there.

Really?? I thought you had to be rooted for it. So what will rooting get me as far as this goes? The directions in Post #1 for installing JB seem to say that I have to be rooted.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I actually wasn't 100% about flashing the Jelly Bean leak if root was necessary or not a until a couple days ago. Wasn't really researching much into it but someone mentioned to me that you didn't need root for it so I was intrigued and that's when I did some digging and found out you don't need root. You just need root before you flash the leak if you want to keep root after you flash the leak.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So will I still get OTA updates (like the official JB) when it comes out with the leak installed on my non-rooted phone?

codysanbor

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
ety4u7u3.jpg

??

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
To unroot your phone you can use Superuser or another app like that to unroot you phone. Should be somewhere in the settings. Why would you want to unroot it thought? Just leave it rooted, won't harm anything really.

pilotbrett

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
re this new method, I've followed the instructions up to the point where it says to follow the onscreen instructions. Running the Utility, it says press any key to continue. One I press a key the window closesand nothing else appears. where are the instructions or menu you're supposed to follow. Am I missing something?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
re this new method, I've followed the instructions up to the point where it says to follow the onscreen instructions. Running the Utility, it says press any key to continue. One I press a key the window closesand nothing else appears. where are the instructions or menu you're supposed to follow. Am I missing something?

What part are you on? Did you get to the part where you had to generate a bug report.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

pilotbrett

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What part are you on? Did you get to the part where you had to generate a bug report.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

At the initial screen after you run the Bat file, it said to continue hit any key. I did this and that window closed. no other screen or instructions popped up. How long does it take for the instructions or anything(part where you had to generate a bug report)
to pop up?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I generated a bug report I think it said failed

Are you on the updated OS, the 6mb OTA? If so, you wont be able to generate a bug report and therefore wont be able to root your phone.

At the initial screen after you run the Bat file, it said to continue hit any key. I did this and that window closed. no other screen or instructions popped up. How long does it take for the instructions or anything(part where you had to generate a bug report)
to pop up?

That's weird. I just tried it and worked fine for me. Possibly a bad download?

rightushook

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

finally bought an SD Card, placed .zip file on SD Card and followed all instructions

USB Debugging enabled
protect root
temporary unroot
updated binaries

then when to install update from external SD Card and I get this error

-- Install /sdcard..
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prob", "ro.build.fingerprint")
== "motorola/XT926_verizon/vanquish:4.0.4/7.7.1Q-144_VQW_S33425-2/3:user/release-keys"
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

No idea why and cant figure it out. I don't have the 6MB update as it broke my root so I used AP Fastboot to restore to out of box version.

Dre051288

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
i just had the same problem. used ota rootkeeper to protect root, temp unroot, installed ota update, restored root and tested it, temp unroot, and tryed jb update. got pass the error and it is now installing