[Guide] Root and/or Load JB on RAZR HD & HD MAXX

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] RAZR MAXX HD Root Method

Sadly I took yesterday's update on my phone-not yet rooted. Just tried to root and it failed. I guess I had this coming. :(
I'm reading through some user comments.. Some are having trouble rooting after the update and some are saying the method above still works.. supposedly a factory reset helps but I'm not 100% sure yet. As soon as I get more solid info I'll keep you guys updated.. Or if anyone else knows whats going on please share what you've heard or experienced. Thanks.

What exactly does it say or doing that its failing?

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

It just says "waiting for phone" and nothing happens. This is after I pressed the volume up and power button simultaneously and got the vibrate feedback. After that, I waited for about 5 minutes, but nothing changed. Then I disconnected the phone and reconnected it again and the script finished and claimed to have successfully rooted my phone.. But upon installing superuser and testroot, it claims it's not rooted. Have not done the factory reset though.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Just did factory reset. Upon rooting (which went painlessly) my phone boots to the green android with the rotating molecule. And it has been rotating for the past 10 minutes..

I turned my device off and then on, it resumes to the rotating droid thing. Turned it off, powered up with pushing volume button down and holding power button, it turns back to the droid, but says formatting data and freezes on that.

rebooted into help menu, tried recovery and this failed.

sitsambry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Trillianprefect, I bought a used maxx HD that someone factory reset and had this same problem. I could force my way past the constant android screen by pressing all three buttons upon booting to access the recovery menu. Then from there I think I selected safe mode or another option and got it to boot up normally. That is not to say this fixed the problem though. I found that anytime I rebooted the phone (either from trying to install the update or just simply shutting down) I would end up back at the green android firmware install screen and would have to repeat the process. And after every time of this it would wipe my phone clean. I thought I was stuck with a dud but I was saved by a helpful guy at the Verizon store.

At first I thought they were gonna let me get away with a swap out but he managed to get it working. He said he powered the phone off while holding all three buttons (power, volume up, volume down) and this also acted like a factory reset. Then again had to see the android guy and it was almost a 20min wait (also to note there was no progress bar which is usually seen on this screen). After it rebooted and reactivated everything worked fine. I've rebooted the phone several times and even safely installed the update (I don't plan to root yet and hope a new method is available down the road).

Anyway best of luck, sorry for the long winded response.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Trillianprefect, I bought a used maxx HD that someone factory reset and had this same problem. I could force my way past the constant android screen by pressing all three buttons upon booting to access the recovery menu. Then from there I think I selected safe mode or another option and got it to boot up normally. That is not to say this fixed the problem though. I found that anytime I rebooted the phone (either from trying to install the update or just simply shutting down) I would end up back at the green android firmware install screen and would have to repeat the process. And after every time of this it would wipe my phone clean. I thought I was stuck with a dud but I was saved by a helpful guy at the Verizon store.

At first I thought they were gonna let me get away with a swap out but he managed to get it working. He said he powered the phone off while holding all three buttons (power, volume up, volume down) and this also acted like a factory reset. Then again had to see the android guy and it was almost a 20min wait (also to note there was no progress bar which is usually seen on this screen). After it rebooted and reactivated everything worked fine. I've rebooted the phone several times and even safely installed the update (I don't plan to root yet and hope a new method is available down the road).

Anyway best of luck, sorry for the long winded response.
Right after I posted, I called VZW. A helpful person told me to do the exact same thing. Waited forever and it worked just like you described also. I'll also wait for a new root update method. But for now I am glad I got my phone back to work!

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Right after I posted, I called VZW. A helpful person told me to do the exact same thing. Waited forever and it worked just like you described also. I'll also wait for a new root update method. But for now I am glad I got my phone back to work!

So I just tried the same thing and it's back up and working on my end too. Now, question.....I still have the superuser app on here and don't know how to get rid of it. Although, the phone is working normally I don't think i'm rooted anymore because I did the OTA update the other day.

sitsambry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

I now, I was extremely scared myself since I had essentially had no security from buying straight from retail. But it worked and now I'm loving this phone. Plus I saved a few bucks to spend on accessories.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Did you tell the Verizon person you rooted?

- - - Updated - - -

So after its rooted, are there some JB roms to flash? I do miss JB coming from my Gnex.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

I tried to root but all my device does is reboot after the button sequence. Suggestions?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

rightushook

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Do you need a SD Card to update to jellybean, I have the Razr Maxx HD with no SD but was planning on getting. I just noticed it said to select update from SD Card.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Do you need a SD Card to update to jellybean, I have the Razr Maxx HD with no SD but was planning on getting. I just noticed it said to select update from SD Card.

I believe that you need an external SD card in order to do it. The file isn't that large so even if you get a small one that costs like $5-10 you'd be fine.

I can CONFIRM that the new method works to restore to stock/root and install Jelly Bean and keep root the entire process. Up and running with Jelly Bean and root access. Only thing that I would say to do is once you restore to stock OS is wipe data.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

After installing the JB update, should I do a factory reset or cache wipe from within the recovery screen, simply 'erase everything' in Privacy, both or neither?

Thanks again for all who contributed to making this happen.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

After installing the JB update, should I do a factory reset or cache wipe from within the recovery screen, simply 'erase everything' in Privacy, both or neither?

Thanks again for all who contributed to making this happen.

Dont really need too, this is basically the OTA that is going to be released from Verizon so no need to wipe anything. Only reason that I had to wipe everything was because I had to restore back to factory get root access back.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So how do I do this on a Mac? I see that Mac file there, but its a .7z file and neither I nor my computer seem to have a clue how to open it or what to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2