Chrome Bookmarks

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to set the default folder for bookmarks in Chrome when you open a new tab? Almost every time I do it I get the Verizon bookmarks tab, which I don't care about.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to set the default folder for bookmarks in Chrome when you open a new tab? Almost every time I do it I get the Verizon bookmarks tab, which I don't care about.
I reset mine but I'm not completely sure how I did it. (The UI is pretty unclear.) Try this:
From the Verizon bookmarks page, tap the breadcrumb trail at the top until you get to the "Bookmarks >" top of tree. Select a different bookmarks folder. I chose Desktop Bookmarks. Tap its (Desktop Bookmarks) breadcrumb again. When it lights up blue it seems to set that folder to the default. Not sure if it will persist across a reboot, but it seems to stay selected past all tabs being deleted.

Sethoth

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I hope this truly works. This issue has been pissing me off since the very beginning and im glad it's not just me haha.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
So far that seemed to work. I guess I'll find out... Thanks.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Went right back to Verizon bookmarks after I was out of the browser for a while.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Can you delete the Verizon Bookmarks folder from Bookmark Manager in the desktop version of Chrome? I'm just guessing. Strangely, I don't have a Verizon Bookmarks folder in mine and it defaults to Mobile Bookmarks for me.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It was worth a shot, but no. The folder doesn't show up on any other computer or device and I have all my bookmarks synced. :-\

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So far that seemed to work. I guess I'll find out... Thanks.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Went right back to Verizon bookmarks after I was out of the browser for a while.

Mine is still reset. It seems to use the last bookmark page you displayed. Make sure that you kill all tabs but the bookmark one so they don't cause the reset to the old setting. Then reset it and kill that tab.

A "make default" setting option would sure be nice.

danielsxlh

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

I did some searching and found a thread on xda about it. The guy said disable "com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks" in the app settings, but he said you can only do it if you're rooted. I'm bone stock, no root and it worked on mine. I even rebooted to see if it re-enabled it and the VZW bookmarks tab is still gone.

And maybe my mind's playing tricks on me but it seems to make Chrome run faster.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I was able to disable also, no root...I'll see if it holds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Have rebooted twice just to see if this setting sticks and so far it has...very happy that I can now open to MY bookmarks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is cool! Now I am going to search for whatever other com.android.crapware things I can disable Thanks again!

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Awesome tip - gave up this issue before the jb update. Stuff like this is why I check the forums routinely. Thank you: so glad to have that bloat crap out of my bookmarks.

tribeventure

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I did some searching and found a thread on xda about it. The guy said disable "com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks" in the app settings, but he said you can only do it if you're rooted. I'm bone stock, no root and it worked on mine. I even rebooted to see if it re-enabled it and the VZW bookmarks tab is still gone.

And maybe my mind's playing tricks on me but it seems to make Chrome run faster.

Can you explain how to exactly disable com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks? I am new to this so I am uncertain how to accomplish this.

Thank you for your assistance.

ajc312

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Can you explain how to exactly disable com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks?

Open the "Settings" app, then scroll down to "Apps" (under the "Device" heading). Scroll right to the list of "All" apps, then scroll down and find the app you want to disable. Select it, then tap disable.

tribeventure

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ajc312, thank you for your reply. I am still not quite understanding. My desire is to get rid of the Verizon bookmarks such as the NY Times, CNN, ESPN, Google, etc. These are in a "Bookmarks" folder within my "Mobile Bookmarks" folder along with the bookmarks I added. I do not want any bookmarks that are not added by me. Though I know it is money-related and more of a principle issue, it is still presumptuous of Verizon/Google to put those on my phone.

It is not an app so I am confused.

Thanks for your assistance.

Open the "Settings" app, then scroll down to "Apps" (under the "Device" heading). Scroll right to the list of "All" apps, then scroll down and find the app you want to disable. Select it, then tap disable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
popipro