Galaxy S3 vs. Droid Razr Maxx HD - Which should I get?

jpeezus

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend who loved the Note 2 but didn't like how big it was even though they said it was surprisingly small for being that big. They returned the Note 2 and got the GS3 and all they can keep saying is they miss the battery life of the Note 2 because GS3 has a much smaller battery. Then i show up at work with my Razr Maxx HD and they can't stop looking at it. They love the design and even the fact that the LED indicator is a big light so you don't always have to pick up your phone to see if you have a notification. Jelly bean is very snappy on the Razr Maxx HD and with Smart Actions you can do alot of things. Plus the predictive keyboard is amazing. The camera is is a good camera and even though the S3 and iPhone 5 camera are better it is still a good camera for the normal user. Of course if you want to be a photographer buy a professional camera.

The feature that i actually like better on the S3 is S-Beam because it transfers data from NFC bumps faster than Android Beam. The better camera is not a big sway for me and i am perfectly happy with my Maxx HD camera. I had time to play with 2 friends Galaxy S3 phones prior to making my decision and after a week of having the Razr Maxx HD i am still happy about the features. I am a heavy user and i can still go without a charge until the afternoon next day on heavy use. When i say heavy use i mean anywhere from 2-4 hrs phone time. Lots of web browsing (which eats most battery life because heating the screen is the biggest battery hog) and apps like scoremobile and 4 email addresses all syncing. Keep in mind most of the time is on 4G compared to wifi because i don't connect to wifi at work. So i would say 2/3 4G time with a fairly poor signal. Plus the S3 build is iffy to me and it doesn't look good in a case either. The GS3 is a great phone though but so is the Razr Maxx HD. it will all come down to preference either way.

Also Jelly Bean is close to stock but Moto Blur still gives you some cool features to enhance the experience without it taking away from Jelly Bean or being a drag on the OS

Sorry to reply to an old thread but I've been going back and forth trying to decide between these 2 phones and I'm still not sure. First the 2gb of RAM in the GS3 makes me think it will perform better than the Maxx HD (even though they have the same Snapdragon S4 processor). Then I like the ability to swap out the battery in the GS3. Then it has a better camera and the premium suite features that came with the Jelly Bean upgrade. Here are the Samsung videos showing the premium suite features.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aM7kQ7sCRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7SEBepku-4

The advantages the Razr Maxx HD has over the GS3 are the huge built in battery, built in microHDMI port, kevlar back and water resistant nano coating. However one the biggest advantages the Maxx HD has is for international travelers who will use an international data plan. The Maxx HD also supports GSM on 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz and WCMDA (aka UMTS/HSPA+) on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz which will give you 2G/3G data in almost every country. It's not clear if the Verizon GS3 supports GSM or not (I'm finding inconsistent information) but it almost definitely doesn't support international 3G data. The international GS3 (model GT-I9300) supports WCDMA on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz (like the Maxx HD) but the Verizon model doesn't. There is a huge thread on xda-developers on how to hack the Verizon GS3 to enable the international GSM and UMTS/HSPA but you'd be risking screwing up your GS3 to enable it. I think if you travel internationally a lot the Maxx HD is a better choice.

I was leaning towards the GS3 but then there was the recent report of GS3's failing after 150-200 days of use and the possibility that I might have to travel internationally for work so now I'm not sure. Does anybody have any comments/thoughts?

Last edited:

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So I'm testing out the Maxx HD while my iphone 5 sits on the desk. When I tried the work Maxx HD it had ICS, smooth and quick. I updated this Maxx HD with JB and I've noticed it being laggy when switching between home screens. I've done the normal Factory Reset but still have issues. I'm curious if Moto will release a performance update to resolve the lag. I wouldn't eliminate that I'm very OCD with these kinds of things either.

Thoughts?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion and many others it is.. It may not be as visually attractive but has more useful features

GSIII Tapatalk 2

Modern TouchWiz absolutely. The old one was just all around bad ... Offered absolutely nothing that could not be gotten elsewhere in a nicer package.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine yesterday, and I swapped the SIM from the S3 into it. I had the OLD Maxx before the S3. A few observations;
I could not get through the day on a battery in the S3. I got an Onite extended battery for it which fixed the problem. But I think even with the Onite, the MaxxHD has better life. At least if I can believe battery percentages. I have not been anal enough to record voltages on a daily basis for comparison - and that would be too much messy data since there are no typical days for me. I use my phone a LOT. It's always in my hands with the screen on it seems. Usually running texting or the HP41 calc app. Sometimes Tesla or something. I'm an engineer, and this thing took over all duties of my scientific calcs. The battery of the HD seems better in terms of remaining charge than the old Maxx. Amazing.

I miss the screen on the S3 and will probably go back to it on a pretty regular basis. I wish there was a simpler way of swapping phones than swapping SIMs. I suspect I will damage the contacts on the SIM eventually, then I will be SOL until I get to my local Verizon. The HD screen is good, make no mistake. But the S3 is better. More real estate and a better look to it. No one beats Samsung at displays. But the lower density of the HD makes no difference to my eyes - what I see is a better color palette and balance on the S3.

I love the notification bar light. Classy. It doesn't take much to make me happy :)

The size of the HD is easier for me with average hands. The display of the S3 is better for me with less than average eyes. The buttons on the HD are far better. JB is good, but sometimes annoying. I swapped launchers on both to the Nova launcher and both are set up the same way. I hated wasting valuable screen on a google bar I will never use. If I want google, I will fire up a browser.

Coming from the old Maxx I am POed that the jacks are in different spots. Neither my bedside cradle nor my rather expensive car mount will work with it.

I like the feel and materials of the HD better than the S3. Even better than the old Maxx. The case is nice and grippy. But there is such a thing as too much carbon fiber. It makes the phone look tacky. I don't know who in the world actually thinks woven carbon fiber is classy looking. Maybe as an accent. They need to get the people who design for Blackberry in to show them how it's done. The S3 is beautiful for what it is. It's not trying to be a business mans accessory - it's trying to be state of the art phone and looks the part. The materials, fit and finish on the S3 are awesome.

The HD and old Maxx are amazing speaker phones. The S3, not so much. Call quality as a handset on both the old and new Maxx and S3 are superb. Nothing to choose from there.

Performance of the HD is really good. I have not noticed a single problem with anything stuttering or pausing.

So, what do you want from your phone? The S3 and HD are on equal terms as phones. The display of the S3 is better, but the phone is taller and wider, but thinner. Stock, the HD will run far, far longer than the S3. I can't decide which one I like better.

I just saw you came from the iPhone. I would be more afraid to drop than damn thing than the S3. Glass is just going to explode off it. Battery on the iPhone purely sucks compared to the Maxx - there is actually no comparison. I couldn't get through a day on my old iPhone4. The S3 build is up there with iPhone - difference in materials just makes it feel different. But that display! Kicks the iPhone to the curb. Even the iPhone 5, which has an amazing display, which is far too small. A dead iPhone is a useless iPhone, and a dead S3 the same. So I think if you are looking for something with a premium feel to it (note that feel and actual premium-ness are two different things) get the HD. It feels better in the hands than an iPhone, has a superb display, runs until the sun burns out, and just makes the iPhone look dated. The S3 does that, but even more so, but has no battery advantage in stock form over the iPhone. The advantage there is you can buy a spare battery or get an extended one. Neither option is available for iPhone.

Last edited:

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I love being able to swap batteries. I have been without power due to an ice storm for 3 days and keep my batteries on a charging dock plugged into my vehicle. Everyone around me with iphones have to limit use or leave it in their vehicle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

ANDROGUY

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
yep..ABSOLUTLY AWESOME PHONE .and yes the battery life is as good as they advertise....FOR ONCE!...had mine on the very first day...not even had the battery broken in yet...got 22+ hours out of it..and my bro and me played the thing for a LONG time solid.trust me..coming from a tbolt with an extended battery that woudnt last me all day without a mid day "refueling"....this baby is killer...and its super thin too............. =]

Sent from 1soldier??,and his razr maxx HD? =]

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I love being able to swap batteries. I have been without power due to an ice storm for 3 days and keep my batteries on a charging dock plugged into my vehicle. Everyone around me with iphones have to limit use or leave it in their vehicle.

My advice is get an external battery/ charger. I invested in a small compact one just after I started buying phones with non removable batteries. I almost never use it but its nice to have in rare unexpected situations where I cant charge the phone. That one I carry with me nost of the time. Last week I bought a larger 11,000 mAh one for trips. Found a good deal on Amazon. No more problems.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
My advice is get an external battery/ charger. I invested in a small compact one just after I started buying phones with non removable batteries. I almost never use it but its nice to have in rare unexpected situations where I cant charge the phone. That one I carry with me nost of the time. Last week I bought a larger 11,000 mAh one for trips. Found a good deal on Amazon. No more problems.

Because I don't want one. I like swapping batteries and not having something tethered for a few hours. If phone makers are going to take ideas from iPhone, why are they taking the negative difference? If they are going to take one, why not take the restore that apple has that doesn't take 2 hours to replace the apps, shortcuts, settings etc.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Because I don't want one. I like swapping batteries and not having something tethered for a few hours. If phone makers are going to take ideas from iPhone, why are they taking the negative difference? If they are going to take one, why not take the restore that apple has that doesn't take 2 hours to replace the apps, shortcuts, settings etc.

They aren't doing this because of Apple (at least not completely ). Going to a non removable battery allows them to make the devices smaller and more lightweight.

I was skeptical at first too but I'm my experiencethe drvidevices I've owned ( Droid 4, Droid RAZR, HTC One X, Droid RAZR HD Max, and now the Droid DNA) get better battery life than any smartphone (except BlackBerry) that had a removable one. I've had the expetnal battery since February and have used it perhaps 5-6 times. I really only carry it just in case.

Dan Gibson1

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I own the Verizon HD Maxx and abolutely love it. I have used both the Galaxy and Iphone and prefer the HD maxx over all. The main reason is battery life. As far as the camera goes, the HD Maxx was lacking in that category, but after the latest update to android 4.1.2 (Verizon build 9.16.6XT926) The camera issue is fixed. In my opinion, one of the best phones on the market.:)
Build - Excellent
Battery Life - Excellent
Software - Great but more pure droid)
Connectivity to wireless and blue tooth - Excellent

wkwan01

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Go for the Galaxy S3.

I have had the Samsung Galaxy S3 in a Ballistic Maxx case for personal use since August 2012 and I just received the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx in an Otterbox for company use. The biggest advantage of the Galaxy S3 is that you can replace the battery. Within the first month of my purchase, I replaced the standard 2100 mAh battery with a 2900 mAh battery that I bought off of eBay. I have a 2900 mAh in my phone and I have two extra 2900 batteries that I can swap whenever the battery gets low from too much video or websurfing use. The 2900 mAh batteries will fit the standard Galaxy S3 cases. You can buy 4500 mAh batteries for the Galaxy S3 off of eBay and the vendors include extended battery covers, but the phone will not fit protective cases with the 4500 mAh battery. Also, I have two 10,000 mAh extended batteries, purchased from eBay for $30 each, than I can use if I know I will be away from my car charger for an extended time.

Also, the S3 has the S Voice already installed, Samsung's version of Apple's iphone Siri. If you do not like S Voice, you can download Google Voice Search.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Go for the Galaxy S3.

I have had the Samsung Galaxy S3 in a Ballistic Maxx case for personal use since August 2012 and I just received the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx in an Otterbox for company use. The biggest advantage of the Galaxy S3 is that you can replace the battery. Within the first month of my purchase, I replaced the standard 2100 mAh battery with a 2900 mAh battery that I bought off of eBay. I have a 2900 mAh in my phone and I have two extra 2900 batteries that I can swap whenever the battery gets low from too much video or websurfing use. The 2900 mAh batteries will fit the standard Galaxy S3 cases. You can buy 4500 mAh batteries for the Galaxy S3 off of eBay and the vendors include extended battery covers, but the phone will not fit protective cases with the 4500 mAh battery. Also, I have two 10,000 mAh extended batteries, purchased from eBay for $30 each, than I can use if I know I will be away from my car charger for an extended time.

Also, the S3 has the S Voice already installed, Samsung's version of Apple's iphone Siri. If you do not like S Voice, you can download Google Voice Search.
You do know that your response, like the question, is hopelessly obsolete, right? Today the question would be comparing the S4 and the Droid MAXX (not the Droid Razr Maxx HD).

After a year of heavy use, my Maxx HD holds the same charge as when it was new, meaning a lot. Swapping batteries is fun, but not really needed anymore. This unswappable battery has pretty much proven itself a winner. The new MAXX has an even bigger battery in an even slimmer package, so if battery life is important it's hard to beat.

The Google Now voice search is now built into Android and works incredibly well. My son's S4 doesn't do as good of a job as my old Maxx HD, but they both make Siri look like a joke. The camera in the S4 is amazing. He uses his phone as a camera as much as as a phone, so the S4 was probably the best bet for him. I'd go with the new Maxx if it were me, but I'm still happy with my old Maxx HD.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The biggest advantage of the Galaxy S3 is that you can replace the battery. Within the first month of my purchase, I replaced the standard 2100 mAh battery with a 2900 mAh battery that I bought off of eBay. I have a 2900 mAh in my phone and I have two extra 2900 batteries that I can swap whenever the battery gets low from too much video or websurfing use.

Swapping out your battery when it gets low--how quaint.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc