Stock Email Client Not Syncing Consistently

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having this problem? My phone doesn't consistently sync, even though I have push email enabled. Happens when I'm both connected to wifi and on 4G/3G. When it's not syncing, mail doesn't even sync when I open the app; I have to manually do it. Completely unacceptable. How can I fix this?

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happens to me. My old phone (Droid 2) did this sometimes too. I wonder if it's just Google trying to force everyone to use Gmail, or...?

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yep, same thing here. Sometimes it won't sync for hours. I seem to notice delays almost daily. Never had this happen on any of my previous android phones.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine is exchange, also. Had no problems with my original RAZR. I also have a POP account set up to check every 30 minutes. Tough to tell if that one is having problems or not since it only checks every 30 minutes anyway.

lowboydrvr

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't use the stock email apps, instead I use K-9 (for a couple of years now). Works great, and I've never had any syncing issues with it. I don't have any exchange accounts though so I can't speak about that part.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I noticed today that when an email comes in I seem to get it on time. When no email comes in for a while the "last synced" time won't update unless you do it manually, but it will still send an email to the phone promptly when it comes in. At least that's the way it was behaving today. This is with Yahoo mail through the stock email client, which can only be set to "Automatic (Push)" syncing.

GilmourD

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I was having that issue with my AOL accounts with the default setup done by the wizard. I changed them over to IMAP on a manual configuration and they work fine now.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Took a few days, but now I know it's a real problem. Last week I installed the trial of Touchdown to see if it would pick up emails that the stock client would not. Everything was going smoothly (both apps getting the same emails simultaneously) until this morning. Touchdown picked up an email ten minutes ago and the stock client has yet to pick up. I'm on wifi sitting at my desk in my office; nothing out of the ordinary. I even opened the stock email client and it did not refresh to show the new email. I'm on an exchange server and I have Touchdown syncing via ActiveSync, and not Exchange 2003 or 2007 (the other two options Touchdown provides).

Edit: and it just happened again.

Edit 2: Needed to restart my phone to get it syncing again, just like the Gmail widget that just suddenly stops syncing.

Last edited:

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
An update on my experience: it still seemed as if the "Automatic (push)" delivery of my Yahoo mail was inconsistent, and setting it up as a generic email account (as opposed to selecting "Yahoo" from the preset options) only gives you the option of pulling new mail in every 15 minutes.

So now I'm trying the K-9 mail app. The good thing about this app for me is that it lets you pull in new email in smaller time increments if you want - 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc. And that seems to work fine, so that's a plus. Unfortunately, the mail "push" feature - ie, mail comes to your phone right away whenever your email account receives it - doesn't seem to work with Yahoo either, just like the stock email client.

I'm more satisfied with K-9 so far than I am with stock because of the fact that you can have it pull mail in more frequently (and it also has a number of nice features such as letting you change the color of the notification light), but I still think it's lame that "push" doesn't work. I read that an application called MailDroid does have a "push" feature that works with Yahoo, so I may try that. It's ad-supported though (or $18 to buy). And there's also a Yahoo Mail app (ad-supported) that I might try.

b_goodwin

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with the naive email app. I moved Touchdown HD for my Exchange account and have had no issues. Best email app I've found. K-9 is new to me.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with the naive email app. I moved Touchdown HD for my Exchange account and have had no issues. Best email app I've found. K-9 is new to me.

K-9 is a good option if you just want to pull more frequently than the stock app can - the "push" still doesn't work for me with Yahoo mail. I'm using K-9 and just having it pull mail in every 5 minutes - it doesn't seem to be a big drain on the battery. I like it because, um...you can make the notification light other colors for K-9 mail accounts haha.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananui