Turning your music into ringtones help

danmoeller

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have tried with numerous apps to do this on my new Verizon Motorola Droid Maxx HD, but is there an easy way to take your mp3, mp4 music files and convert them into a ringtone. I can get them converted but when i go to settings, sounds, ringtones the ringtones dont show up in there. and if they do and i click ok it doesnt play them it just plays a preset ringtone. So what i was wondering what is the best way to take my misic off my phone that i got off itunes and are in mp3, and mp4 formats and convert them into ringtones and actually have them work. Thanks for all your help

lowboydrvr

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure why you want to take the music off the phone to make ringtones. I personally use "Ringdroid" (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...MSwxLDEsImNvbS5yaW5nZHJvaWQiXQ&token=8q3pT9Za..). It's free and let's you pick the start and end of the ringtone, along with the options for fade in/out. Once you figure out how you want it to sound, select "Save" and then the app asks you if you want to make it your default ringtone or assign it to a contact. Very simple, no hassles. For a free app, it is very functional and simple.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Turning music into ringtones help / ringtone length and location / select any file as ringtone

I have tried with numerous apps to do this on my new Verizon Motorola Droid Maxx HD, but is there an easy way to take your mp3, mp4 music files and convert them into a ringtone. I can get them converted but when i go to settings, sounds, ringtones the ringtones dont show up in there. and if they do and i click ok it doesnt play them it just plays a preset ringtone. So what i was wondering what is the best way to take my misic off my phone that i got off itunes and are in mp3, and mp4 formats and convert them into ringtones and actually have them work. Thanks for all your help

Basically, ringtones are stored either in a system folder, or on the memory card under a specific folder:

Code:
media
    |____ audio
        .nomedia
                 |------ alarms
                 |------ notifications
                 |------ ringtones

Notice that there are separate folders for each type of sound.

Notice as well the file .nomedia (notice that it starts with a dot). It's just a blank file. When a file with this name is in a folder, it means that it will be ignored by the media scanner. Why? So that your music player doesn't find them and add them to the playlists... Nothing worse than listening to music and suddenly some phone ring sound is played.

On the other hand, I've found that sometimes the presence of the .nomedia file may prevent ringtones appearing in the selection list.

The solution? Get the free app Rings Extended. When you're asked to select a ringtone of any sort, select Rings Extended as the default app to handle the request. And Rings Extended will allow you to select any file, in a number of different ways (via system, via file browser, via media player...). It's a great app!

Another hint: the defaul length of a ringtone is 30s (after which the call will be "missed"). So when editing/creating a ringtone, keep this in mind so the ring ends gracefully. If your ringtone is shorter than 30s, maybe you'll want to edit it and copy/paste a section to repeat at the end. I got Tom Tom Club's "Genius of Love" and made a 30s loop of the intro, for instance.

The default length of the ringtone can be changed. I can't remember how, though. And I think your phone needs to be rooted. Not sure about the latter.

One more hint: you might want to increase the volume of your MP3 files before using them as ringtones. I use the free MP3Gain to set the volume of all my MP3s. At least 91db. Not much more (or at all), to avoid distortions.

And one more tool I recommend for Windows users is MP3 Direct Cut. Free, simple, straightforward tool to cut/edit MP3s.

And a last hint: when your phone boots, the memory card is scanned for media. And it may take a few minutes. Which means that those custom ringtones may be unavailable during boot. But if your phone is rooted, you can copy your favorite tone in to the correct system folder, and have it available permanently.

That's all for now.

#MP3
#Ringtones
#root
#media

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Turning music into ringtones help / ringtone length and location / select any file as ringtone

Notice as well the file .nomedia (notice that it starts with a dot). It's just a blank file. When a file with this name is in a folder, it means that it will be ignored by the media scanner. Why? So that your music player doesn't find them and add them to the playlists... Nothing worse than listening to music and suddenly some phone ring sound is played.

Interesting. So how is this file extension implemented? Suppose I have a ringtone named JamesBond.mp3. How would I set it up so the media player doesn't see it, but it would still work as a ringtone?

BTW, I agree that RingDroid is a decent app. However, I create my ringtones in Audacity, applying the good advice that MichaelBR listed: adjusting the sound levels and making precise sound loops to pad the ringtone out to 30 seconds.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Interesting. So how is this file extension implemented? Suppose I have a ringtone named JamesBond.mp3. How would I set it up so the media player doesn't see it, but it would still work as a ringtone?

Just leave the file "JamesBond.MP3" in a folder where there is also a file named ".nomedia".

In the example I gave above, ".nomedia" is in the root folder "audio". If you drop the MP3 file in the sub-folder "ringtones", it should appear normally as a ringtone, but won't appear in the media player.

THe ".nomedia" file will make all files in the same folder and sub-folders invisible to the media player.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Use mp3 search and download from the play store. It has a built in ringtone and notification maker

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

TigerStrong

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
That sounds good EXCEPT when I go into my media folder, there are NOT separate folders for each type of sound. there is only one folder: notifications.

In truth, I have set my ringtone several times. But every time I plug my phone into my computer the ringtones are wiped out. I finally quit plugging my phone in because every time I do, whatever I've done gets wiped clean.

Right now, the music I want all shows up in the Ringtone folder . . . but when I try to assign a ringtone to a contact, the ringtones don't show up in the list. They USED to . . . until I plugged my phone in this morning, for the first time in six months. My husband recently got a new Droid and he's having the same problem -- took doing the exact same thing about ten times before the ringtones ever actually 'took.' I'm keeping my mouth shut, waiting for him to plug his in to his computer and see what happens.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That sounds good EXCEPT when I go into my media folder, there are NOT separate folders for each type of sound. there is only one folder: notifications.

In truth, I have set my ringtone several times. But every time I plug my phone into my computer the ringtones are wiped out. I finally quit plugging my phone in because every time I do, whatever I've done gets wiped clean.

Right now, the music I want all shows up in the Ringtone folder . . . but when I try to assign a ringtone to a contact, the ringtones don't show up in the list. They USED to . . . until I plugged my phone in this morning, for the first time in six months. My husband recently got a new Droid and he's having the same problem -- took doing the exact same thing about ten times before the ringtones ever actually 'took.' I'm keeping my mouth shut, waiting for him to plug his in to his computer and see what happens.

The problem you describe above is exactly what I was facing last last week, and I seem to have found the solution. There is a whole topic about it, with the solution I posted, at the Android Developers forum, right here: Issue 3692 - android - MediaScanner deletes jpg and gif files - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting. This topic is where I post the solution I found.

Although the title says "JPG and GIF files", it actually covers any media files, such as sounds.

Basically, the problem seems to do with mounting/dismounting the SD card on the computer/phone: for some reason, it could go wrong and the symptom you describe happens (full detail in the link). And, basically, the solution is to mount the SD card on the computer correctly, and then dismount it correctly and the mount it correctly on the phone. I also erased the Media Scanner data between steps, but I'm not sure that is mandatory. But do it anyway - why not?

When the problem is there, each time the Media Scanner scans for new media files, when it reaches an ignorable folder (folders with ringtones, etc are usually ignored - so they don't appear in your music player), it inadvertently erases the files.

Anyway, read the link for the details.

About the folder structure you mention (\notifications - in the root of the SD card), I think that is acceptable (i.e., will be detected by Android system).

paintpearl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I got a question for you all similar to this question and trying to find help with it. I synced some songs from my laptop to my Droid Razr HD and tried to make some ringtones from a few of the songs. At first the app I had gotten from the playstore told me I couldnt make ringtones from a .wma file. I had a friend who told me that I had to rename the file with a .mp3 at the end of it. I thought this fixed the problem but now it only gives me the first 3-4 seconds of the song and thats all. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got a question for you all similar to this question and trying to find help with it. I synced some songs from my laptop to my Droid Razr HD and tried to make some ringtones from a few of the songs. At first the app I had gotten from the playstore told me I couldnt make ringtones from a .wma file. I had a friend who told me that I had to rename the file with a .mp3 at the end of it. I thought this fixed the problem but now it only gives me the first 3-4 seconds of the song and thats all. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

WMA is not MP3. Changing the extension doesn't turn it in to one. There's a number of free software to convert from one format to another. For Windows, try Format Factory or XMediaRecode. Convert from WMA to MP3 and then put on fone.

To trim the MP3 file, use MP3 DIrectCut for Windows. Or even Audacity, for WIndows, Linux etc

gcrider900

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Thankyouthankyouthankyou for Ringdroid! Does just what I needed.

I am not sure why you want to take the music off the phone to make ringtones. I personally use "Ringdroid" (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...MSwxLDEsImNvbS5yaW5nZHJvaWQiXQ&token=8VZ0BlGb..). It's free and let's you pick the start and end of the ringtone, along with the options for fade in/out. Once you figure out how you want it to sound, select "Save" and then the app asks you if you want to make it your default ringtone or assign it to a contact. Very simple, no hassles. For a free app, it is very functional and simple.

littletechy

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
All my music showed up in the Play Music pre loaded app. The only way I could get it into my play list was to make each song the default ringtone. Once that was done it was then on my list and I could assign to each contact.
The other way was to download the Mp3 ringtone app from the play store. That worked for my new Droid Maxx.
Hope it helps!

Kyle McDowell

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I just downloaded a meme ringtone app and set a ringtone and a notifications sound. I needed to do this because i didnt have a ringtones or notifications folder in my file system, so when i set a tone and notification, it created those folders. Then i was able to put my custom notifications and tones in their corresponding folders. I used an online audio trimmer to trim the audio file i used(in this case it was a Nissan LEAF commercial, which contained the startup chime of the leaf that i wanted to use) and trimmed it so I just had the chime, not the chime and a guy speaking in a heavy Australian accent, and then saved it to my drive. Then I went on to drive on my phone, found the mp3 file, and downloaded it and placed it into its folder. Sorry for the long post, but you might be able to pull this off the same way i did, hope it helps!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234