Wall Charger

bassplyr

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I was a little surprised to find my other wall chargers don't work with the MAXX HD. I guess the OEM charger has some special circuity in it.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't found a charger yet that doesn't work. I have a couple of old blackberry chargers that work great. I think it has to do with the output specs. The charger that comes with it says the output is 5.1v/1150 mA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
What problems are you having? I haven't even taken the charger that came with the phone out of the box. All Micro USB chargers should work.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Is this something with Motorola chargers? I know I've seen in a manual for previous Motorola phones to only use Motorola chargers. Seems like I saw a few threads for both the Droid X and Bionic where users had issues with non-motorola chargers. Personally I have never had a problem using a charger as long as it is micro usb. I've even used blackberry chargers.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's the cable. The USB spec allows for two charging modes, regular with simultaneous data transfer and high-current with data transfer blocked. Some cables meant for charging only didn't have the data connections, which prevents the charger from properly telling the phone which mode to use. This phone is stricter about the standard. Older chargers (USB 1.1) could get away with it because the mode switching came with USB 2.0. This phone finally dropped support for USB 1.1 chargers.

If your charger has a removable cable, try the cable that came with the phone. If it works, you can upgrade the cable on Amazon for a couple of bucks.
Amazon.com: OEM Motorola ECOMOTO Micro USB Data Cable for Motorola Droid RARZ, RAZR Maxx, Droid 3, Droid 4, Photon 4G, Droid Bionic, Atrix 4G, Atrix 2, and Motorola Droid Xyboard 8.2 & 10.1 - Bulk Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

stridr69#AC

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
It's NOT the cable. He/She might have a defective USB port on the phone. I've used every cable I have(and the MoTo cable is still in the box unused) as well as chargers from HTC, BlackBerry and ....wait for it....iPad 3. They all work for me.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's NOT the cable. He/She might have a defective USB port on the phone. I've used every cable I have(and the MoTo cable is still in the box unused) as well as chargers from HTC, BlackBerry and ....wait for it....iPad 3. They all work for me.
I have 6 chargers that work and one that doesn't. Don't put OP in a panic about a defective phone. Some old chargers and/or certain cables don't work with this phone!

See also
http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr-maxx-hd/222394-charging-data-cable-dc-input.html

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I remember back in the flip phone days moto phones only worked with moto chargers. Does that still hold true?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I remember back in the flip phone days moto phones only worked with moto chargers. Does that still hold true?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
No. Any USB 2.0 compatible charger will work. That covers most that you'll see. But certain old chargers don't work. And certain cables won't charge from a PC port. See the thread I linked above.