Ringtone and notification volumes

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Is there any way to make the notification and ringtone volumes the same? When I open the volume options there is no check box to make them go off the same volume. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Settings > Sound > Volumes

Mine has volume options for both the ringtone and notifications.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Settings > Sound > Volumes

Mine has volume options for both the ringtone and notifications.

Right, but from any normal screen if you move the volume rocker down to turn down the volume of the ringer it doesn't affect the notification volume. So you can think you're turning the phone to quiet and then suddenly you get a glaringly loud email notification. The volume rocker should control all volumes.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
My mistake. So if I turn the volume setting to vibrate with the rocker, I'll still hear email notifications?

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
My mistake. So if I turn the volume setting to vibrate with the rocker, I'll still hear email notifications?

When ringer is set to mute or vibrate the notifications will not sound. If you turn music or any other media on it will sound as will the alarm. Does that answer it for you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Android has sucked with volume management forever. I use AudioManager. In fact, I purchased the Pro version so I can save presets.

Well geez... the free version is completely useless. Only options are full blaring and mute and can't edit or add profiles. Nor can you create a short cut. I think I'm so pissed at the uselessness of the free version to try ANY of the features that it makes me not want to pay for the real version just out of spite.

Ok, maybe this is one of those things where I should have sat for 10 minutes before composing this. :)

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^It's well worth the .99 they are charging for it. I use it every day. Presets are great, avoids those 'oh crap, even though the ringer is off some other volume level is up and my phone is causing a ruckus, now I look like an idiot that doesn't know how to mute his phone because Android handles volume levels poorly' moments.

As you can tell, its happened to me before.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
^It's well worth the .99 they are charging for it. I use it every day. Presets are great, avoids those 'oh crap, even though the ringer is off some other volume level is up and my phone is causing a ruckus, now I look like an idiot that doesn't know how to mute his phone because Android handles volume levels poorly' moments.

Side note...

Are you involved with the 787 btw?

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
tying the notification and ringer volume together was actually that was one of the biggest gripes that came as a result of ICS. What about folks who wanted their phone to ring any time but shut off their notifications off at night. Restoring the two as separate entities, but having access to them on the same screen was the most brilliant thing that they did. So when you are at Settings > Sound > Volumes, and you slide one bar, slide the next. Elsewise you can use the physical volume rocker to put your phone into vibrate or silent mode and everything will be quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

No you wont.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Ok, so I splurged on the $0.99 and there is no place to adjust the notification settings. The updated version of smart actions says its also supposed to include them now, but no go there either.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
tying the notification and ringer volume together was actually that was one of the biggest gripes that came as a result of ICS. What about folks who wanted their phone to ring any time but shut off their notifications off at night. Restoring the two as separate entities, but having access to them on the same screen was the most brilliant thing that they did. So when you are at Settings > Sound > Volumes, and you slide one bar, slide the next. Elsewise you can use the physical volume rocker to put your phone into vibrate or silent mode and everything will be quiet.

I understand why they separated them for reason like you stated, but I know I have had a least one phone that when you went into the menu there was a check box to use the ringer volume for notifications, and I see no reason why that should not at least be an option. For people who need/want them separately then they don't need to check the box, but for those of us that want them to be based off the same volume level, just give us a check box to make them similar.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I understand why they separated them for reason like you stated, but I know I have had a least one phone that when you went into the menu there was a check box to use the ringer volume for notifications, and I see no reason why that should not at least be an option. For people who need/want them separately then they don't need to check the box, but for those of us that want them to be based off the same volume level, just give us a check box to make them similar.

Exactly

edneum2

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
two things that handle all my volume needs: True Silence by Panic Productions (widget that mutes literally every volume level with one click & restores all with one click). Slider Widgets - Volumes. The 2 widgets are 2nd to top and 3rd to top far right on my homescreen:
uploadfromtaptalk1356142600539.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I use the AudioManager app as well, but I keep getting worried that the presets you can make will interfere with the SmartActions profiles I have set up. For example, I have my class schedules in SmartActions so it will go silent at a certain time. I don't want the presets in AudioManager to override that profile, or the other way around where the profile will prevent the preset to take effect after class ends. Has anyone had any experience using these apps and their features together?

Travis Eason

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I use "volume control" by ROYS. its free and when you change the rocker volume it changes the ringer and notification volumes. You would probably have to uninstall the app to get the individual volume controls back tho, theres no check box in it to unlink them.

trinydex

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
volume synch doesn't work. it syncs media volume to ringer volume and mostly to silence the media volume when ringer volume is silenced.

volume control by roys advertises that it links notification and ringer volume but it doesn't. unless i'm missing something, it doesn't work.