What are your first Jelly Bean impressions?

duff1914

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you about the battery life. JB seems to me to be a bit more aggressive on the battery....still love my phone, just saying.

Stock Droid RAZR MAXX HD

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
My experience so far has been mixed. I love some of the new features such as Google Now, but can't stand some other things other people have mentioned such as the white background on the contacts. My biggest complaint is that the OS is choppy, not even close to "buttery" smooth. Swiping between home screens is choppy, swiping between pages in the app drawer is choppy, pulling down the notification bar is choppy. I've rebooted about 4-5 times, wiped the cache, etc. I'm going to wait another day or so and see if things stabilize, but I fear a factory reset is in my future. Although I'm fearful because that never really helped my original RAZR when it was upgraded from GB to ICS and I experienced some of these same issues.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Is it me or did a shopping app for a specific company appear as part of the 4.1 upgrade? A Google company? And, of course, it is not uninstallable, but by default 'Alerts' are turned on. Huh? Yes, it did not automatically appear on the desktop. So? It adds to the waste of space and is pushed on users. Is this a direction Google is going?

Otherwise, no significant user experience changes.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Just come out and say what's on your mind, no one from Google is reading this, you don't have to be cute about it.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the battery is takings hit with jelly bean. I usually go all day and am left with over 60% battery. By about 3:00 today, I was already down to 50%. I'll keep an eye on this over the next few days.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like the battery is takings hit with jelly bean. I usually go all day and am left with over 60% battery. By about 3:00 today, I was already down to 50%. I'll keep an eye on this over the next few days.

I haven't noticed anything all week. Yesterday was the first I noticed a major battery drain. Normally I am at 60% at the end of the day and was sitting at 30% yesterday. When I checked the apps it looked like G+ was the culprit. Did you happen notice a particular app causing the drain?

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Is it me or did a shopping app for a specific company appear as part of the 4.1 upgrade? A Google company? And, of course, it is not uninstallable, but by default 'Alerts' are turned on. Huh? Yes, it did not automatically appear on the desktop. So? It adds to the waste of space and is pushed on users. Is this a direction Google is going?

Otherwise, no significant user experience changes.
Are you talking about Zappos? I thought they were owned by Amazon.

TheMOTU

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I am NOT thrilled. My biggest complaint is the update TOTALLY screwed up my contacts - multiple duplicates were created for each original. Called Verizon and was told to delete and re-import. Did that and the import attempt from both google and Verizon failed - reported there was nothing to import, even though I'm looking at my contact list on the google website. Thank you google for issuing more half baked software. This is what I get for breaking my own rule ... never, never, never, never update, it will just screw up the phone.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any issues with JB and it's snappy. Ok my only gripe after a day is really just the new white popup box for the three point Share function. I miss the simple and quick list!

Annoying. uploadfromtaptalk1354902053875.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any issues with JB and it's snappy. Ok my only gripe after a day is really just the new white popup box for the three point Share function. I miss the simple and quick list!

Annoying. View attachment 50053

What's with all the white backgrounds I'm hearing about? Don't the programmers realize we need black backgrounds for better battery life? Uggg. Why do they keep changing things?

Sent using the Amazing RAZR MaxxHD

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: What are your first Jelly Bean impressions

What's with all the white backgrounds I'm hearing about? Don't the programmers realize we need black backgrounds for better battery life? Uggg. Why do they keep changing things?

Battery is so good I don't care about that, for me it's just the larger space to deal with vs the ICS list which was easier for one handed selection.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just received the update. Can hardly wait to see what issues I'll have now. I know. Cynical right. Too bad. Every freaking update brings unwanted issues too.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I find it funny with the comments about stopping the update. If you were to read all the other Android threads, it's about people upset and angry that their phone isn't getting so and so update.

I'm with the people on this thread. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm happy we got jb, but would have been satisfied with ics because the phone was great before. If it had introduced issues such I'm reading about above, I would have been extremely pissed off.

I rooted and disabled OTA updates on my last phone because after numerous updates, the final gingerbread OS was finally working great and I didn't want to get anymore updates, even the broken promises of ics (my last phone was a Thunderbolt).

Leave the frequent updates to the Nexus line of phones and just leave the rest if us with one solid stable version. IMHO of course.

Back on topic, my only complaint is really the white background in contacts. So different from every single other app/page in the OS. No other negatives from me.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I find it funny with the comments about stopping the update. If you were to read all the other Android threads, it's about people upset and angry that their phone isn't getting so and so update.

I'm with the people on this thread. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm happy we got jb, but would have been satisfied with ics because the phone was great before. If it had introduced issues such I'm reading about above, I would have been extremely pissed off.

I rooted and disabled OTA updates on my last phone because after numerous updates, the final gingerbread OS was finally working great and I didn't want to get anymore updates, even the broken promises of ics (my last phone was a Thunderbolt).

Leave the frequent updates to the Nexus line of phones and just leave the rest if us with one solid stable version. IMHO of course.

Back on topic, my only complaint is really the white background in contacts. So different from every single other app/page in the OS. No other negatives from me.

If I root and install the FOTAkill.apk, will that stop the update from automatically installing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It's been a few days now with Jelly Bean and my phone appears to be pretty stable now.

Pros: Google Now works flawlessly
OS might be a bit smoother but there is still an occasional jerkiness when transitioning to Quick settings or 'Manage Pages'
Battery is as solid as ever. The first 2 days my battery life appeared to take a hit. But the phone definitely stabilized as I'm at 40% on 52 hours of usage since I unplugged Friday morning.

Cons: Mostly aesthetic. I liked the ICS theme of the phone better than the Jelly Bean theme. Notification Bar should be blue. People App should be black or at least have an option for a white or black background. Google Search bar is probably unnecessary now but at least on ICS the transparent bar blended into the Home Pages.

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually, just as I say things stabilized I found that the Amazon App store still doesn't work consistently. I uninstalled and re-installed the other day and it was working fine. Then, it suddenly stopped working again. Then, without doing anything, the app was working again later in the day. Then today it stopped working again. When I restarted my phone, it was once again working fine.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing some lag with home screens but I'm using Apex launcher and it may be an issue. Not happy about Foxfi not being compatible with JB. Wondering if I'm going to need to do a freaking factory reset.

Last edited:

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Actually, just as I say things stabilized I found that the Amazon App store still doesn't work consistently. I uninstalled and re-installed the other day and it was working fine. Then, it suddenly stopped working again. Then, without doing anything, the app was working again later in the day. Then today it stopped working again. When I restarted my phone, it was once again working fine.

Wow. :banghead:
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz