Smart Rule Question

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a smart rule set to turn wifi on when at home.
Is it possible to set rules for anywhere OTHER than home? Like when NOT at home I want bluetooth on and wifi off. I don't want separate rules for every place. Just when at home and when NOT home.
Thanks!

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
No, I looked into that too. I have one that turns on wifi at home but use an app that turns it off after not being connected for a certain time.

My wife leaves her Bluetooth on all the time and it doesn't effect her battery in any significant way. So you could set one up so that when your Bluetooth is connected it turns off your wifi

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD using Android Central app

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I find leaving wifi on does little to battery life but leaving bluetooth on is a killer. I'm surprised at your wife's findings.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
She likes to use it in her Kia Soul and doesn't want to bother having to go to settings to turn it on. I would like to add that she has the original Maxx and not the HD so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD using Android Central app

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
they should have a default setting that the phone reverts to when no smart actions are in use. That's my one complaint. I have wifi power saver to turn off wifi when I'm away from the home locations. I've resorted to turning bluetooth on and off manually.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I use all time based rules, basically, one for work(wifi off, notifications on vibrate, bluetooth off), one for not at work(wifi on, normal notifications, bluetooth on).

What you could try is having a default rule that is on all the time with wifi turned off, and then a second one called "home" based on location that turns wifi on. No problem having two rules active at the same time.

with that said, I thought it wouldnt allow you to make location based rules if wifi was off.....

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I find leaving wifi on does little to battery life but leaving bluetooth on is a killer. I'm surprised at your wife's findings.

I leave Bluetooth on all times because of my car and it doesn't seem to drain much. I can go about two days on a charge with moderate to heavy usage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I leave Bluetooth on all times because of my car and it doesn't seem to drain much. I can go about two days on a charge with moderate to heavy usage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I leave my bluetooth on all the time as well and don't notice a change (unless I'm using bluetooth a lot). The OS almost seems to want you to leave Wifi on all the time as well, for location services and other things. I turn my WiFi off, but I was curious if leaving it on would seriously impact battery life. It always did on my other phones...

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use all time based rules, basically, one for work(wifi off, notifications on vibrate, bluetooth off), one for not at work(wifi on, normal notifications, bluetooth on).

What you could try is having a default rule that is on all the time with wifi turned off, and then a second one called "home" based on location that turns wifi on. No problem having two rules active at the same time.

with that said, I thought it wouldnt allow you to make location based rules if wifi was off.....

I followed your suggestion. Worked like a charm!