I'm having a problem syncing contacts from RAZR MAXX HD to my Gmail account. Syncing calendar entries and syncing newly created contacts works fine. However, the original contacts (loaded by Verizon through backup assistant when I bought the phone) do not show up in my Gmail account no matter what I try to do. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    12-17-2012 07:50 PM
    I'm having a problem syncing contacts from RAZR MAXX HD to my Gmail account. Syncing calendar entries and syncing newly created contacts works fine. However, the original contacts (loaded by Verizon through backup assistant when I bought the phone) do not show up in my Gmail account no matter what I try to do. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Backup Assistant is the problem. From now on, manage all your contacts in gmail and ignore BA. On your phone, if you go to edit a contact, you'll see that it's either a gmail or a Backup Assistant contact; they are separate sets.

What you want to do is log onto verizonwireless from a computer, select Back Up My Contacts under My Device in My Verizon. Click "Select All" contacts, then Actions, Export Contacts. You'll see an option for exporting to gmail. This will make a file that you can read into your gmail account (still on the computer). In gmail, select Contacts and click Import Contacts...

Once you have them in gmail, forget about Backup Assistant.
    12-17-2012 08:25 PM
    The import worked great but I am concerned google gmail won't automatically sync future or edited contacts. Any thoughts on this?
    04-29-2013 11:55 PM
    The import worked great but I am concerned google gmail won't automatically sync future or edited contacts. Any thoughts on this?
    I don't understand your concern. Contacts made in gmail, or on the phone as gmail contacts, sync automatically. Make a change on your computer and it's usually on your phone before you can scroll to it.
    04-30-2013 01:56 AM
    In my case, I can't locate which settings or procedure to effect the sync that I intend. Phone to Gmail account or Gmail account into phone?

I had successfully uploaded all my phone contacts up into my GMail account; I can't recall how I did that. But my struggle right now is finding out how to update my GMail with any new contacts I already have on my phone. I turn on my wifi on my phone contacts"app" I hit the sync option, so all Gmail updates into my phone but not vice-versa, i.e. any new phone contact gets erased because that isn't in my Gmail. Hence, my awkward solution everytime I have a new contact is to write it on a piece of paper, encode it in my Gmail account, and then sync my phone; otherwise it'll just get erased if I directly put a new contact into my phone.

BTW, my android version is Gingerbread.. help please.
    06-25-2013 01:33 AM
    In my case, I can't locate which settings or procedure to effect the sync that I intend. Phone to Gmail account or Gmail account into phone?

I had successfully uploaded all my phone contacts up into my GMail account; I can't recall how I did that. But my struggle right now is finding out how to update my GMail with any new contacts I already have on my phone. I turn on my wifi on my phone contacts"app" I hit the sync option, so all Gmail updates into my phone but not vice-versa, i.e. any new phone contact gets erased because that isn't in my Gmail. Hence, my awkward solution everytime I have a new contact is to write it on a piece of paper, encode it in my Gmail account, and then sync my phone; otherwise it'll just get erased if I directly put a new contact into my phone.

BTW, my android version is Gingerbread.. help please.
    You shouldn't have any contacts in your phone that are not gmail! If you still have Verizon (Backup Assistant) contacts in your phone, export them to gmail then delete them from Backup Assistant (all on the PC). See post #2 above.
    06-25-2013 01:48 PM
    I am not a Verizon user (I'm not in the US) and I do not have Backup Assistant. So, I'm still stuck with the problem.
    06-26-2013 01:33 AM