Lag post jelly bean update

Jkjones1

May 29, 2012
Visit site
There have been only a couple of threads about this, but I have noticed a lot of lag after the update. The home screen would constantly redraw when coming from another program or upon waking up. Also, moving from screen to screen would not be very smooth.

Well, I just installed nova launcher and it seems like a new phone. No lag and very smooth. Hopefully that means a future tweak to the home screen software can fix it up. I was actually thinking of going to S3 because the lag was so annoying.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Would obviously be interested in others views/experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
My home screen re-renders much more frequently after JB. Gmail and Chrome also lock up every few days. Have had to do the "battery pull" way more often than I should. I loved ICS.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I installed Nova today and yeah, it's smoother with that launcher. That's interesting. One nice thing about that is, you can get rid of the google bar at the top of the screen (and actually use that space, not just hide it), which is cool because that bar is redundant with swipe-up-from-Home on this phone.

The downside of using the Nova Launcher is you can't use the Circles widget with it, which I've found to be a very nice way of accessing various things. I'll probably stick with Nova for a while and see how much I miss Circles. The weather portion is no loss, because I like the Google Now weather better - but the ability to tap the clock to access alarms and tap the battery to access battery usage was nice. I'm currently using Widgetsoid to provide quick settings and a time/battery widget, but you can only set the time to open the clock, not go directly to alarms, so it's an extra click. The battery portion does go directly to battery usage though.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I was frustrated with the stuttering home screen as well, plus I never used the quick settings page or the Google search bar, so I installed Nova a week or two ago. Much, much smoother than the stock launcher. If you install the One More Clock widget and use the Chrome Rings theme you can assign different functions when you tap a different area of the widget. For instance, when I tap the NE corner of the widget it opens the battery usage. When I tap the SW corner it launches the alarms. The widget itself may not be quite as visually appealing as the Motorola one, but for me it provides nearly the same functionality.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Update: I think using Nova Launcher has definitely improved this phone for me. It runs more smoothly, and it allowed me to set up a cleaner UI.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Try turning off Google Now. I had some lag that immediately went away after turning off G Now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Tony Wayman

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I was frustrated with the stuttering home screen as well, plus I never used the quick settings page or the Google search bar, so I installed Nova a week or two ago. Much, much smoother than the stock launcher. If you install the One More Clock widget and use the Chrome Rings theme you can assign different functions when you tap a different area of the widget. For instance, when I tap the NE corner of the widget it opens the battery usage. When I tap the SW corner it launches the alarms. The widget itself may not be quite as visually appealing as the Motorola one, but for me it provides nearly the same functionality.

Same here, running NOVA launcher and the phone is fast and smooth.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site

As in the pic, bring up Google search by tapping on the search bar and immediately minimizing the keyboard, then hit the menu button on the bottom right corner and tap Settings, and then you'll see Google Now on the very top.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356631716210.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356631716210.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 78

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow was having same issue, turned off Google now and fast as can be.
We need an update google......

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Man I had a forced restart today after a Chrome crash and the other day it rebooted on its own just sitting there on my desk. I had that happen on an old BlackBerry a while back being the last time. What's with this?? All of this strangeness started after JB.

Jkjones1

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Turning off Google now definitely seems to help a bit with the lag. Still not as smooth as it should be though. Maybe they will have it fixed when they release 4.1.2. Since that was the version for the old razr maxx, seems like we should be expecting a small update soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

chadillac3

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Google Now is definitely an issue. Here's my findings:

1. Turning it off immediately fixed the lag issue on the homescreen. I'm still using Nova as I found it more to my liking.

2. Turning it off fixed my battery drain issues. My phone and my coworkers phone are now basically using the same amount of battery.

3. Google Now CAN be enabled and not cause battery drain, but you must have all location services off. That was the only difference in settings between our phones, so my guess is Google Now was constantly checking location.

MUCH happier with my phone now. I do hope Moto fixed my phone volume issue (always set to high when I place/pick up a call), but I can live with that as I'm not making that many calls on the phone.

Potent68

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've done it all and my phone still lags. Google Now has been off for at least a week. I did the hardware reset. I can't believe we don't have the option to go back to ICS if we want. The phone was nothing short of EPIC with ICS.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to figure out this lag thing too...I really dislike lag. I disabled Google Now & disabled the Verizon Apps as previously suggested. I also think I may have found something awesome:

It may be premature, but I believe I've found a way to get rid of almost all lag. I installed this apk called Seeder.

My lag pretty much gone. I've been disappointed in EVERY Android phone I've ever had (because of lag)...this seems to have fixed it.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I was experiencing the lag as well, but Google Now was not my problem. It was Google +. Here's what I did:

I went in to settings, apps, all, Google +. I uninstalled updates, cleared data and disabled it.

I am still using Google Now and my lag is GONE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis