Concensus - MAXX HD or SIII

d1c1ple

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey All - had an HTC TBOLT forever but went 64GB iPHone 5 on VZW when it was released in the fall. Overall the migration experience is pretty good. Apps are great, Apple Maps not so much; but the google stack is pretty good on IOS. Personal hot spot is trash when compared to android MHS - much more stupid on iOS; no tuning options. Also lost sumultaneous voice/data. Bought my wife an S3 recently and am missing some screensize. Considering selling my iP5 and picking up a cheap MAXX HD ot S3 but stil have concerns about lack of updates from Google/VZW. Won't buy another HTC after the TBOLT debacle and NoteII is just too giant. VZW GNEX I'd consider but still not supported by VZW w lagging updates; signal issues and crap camera. TIA for any feedback on these 2 handsets.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I had both and I liked the Maxx HD better. It had a better radio, battery life, no BT issues, and the Moto launcher is much better than Touchwiz. In the end I ended up with a Note2, but I would go back to the Maxx HD if I wanted a smaller screen.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

edneum2

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
i must have done research for 2 months straight, SIII actually didnt end up in my top 3. it ended up being between note 2, DNA, and Maxx HD. DNA has poor internal storage and comparatively weak battery. Note 2 is definately a viable option, and perhaps better for the right person, too big for me. I couldnt be happier with my Maxx HD, ive had it for 2 months now, i have push notifications for everything, leave gps, wifi, and 4g on all day long, and i havent been able to run the battery below 25 percent in a 24 hour day no matter how heavy i use it, solid, dependable, and plenty fast (although im not a gamer)

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I use them both. I like the screen on the S3 better than the Maxx HD. It's just better. Call clarity and so forth is a tossup, both are excellent. The native SMS app on the Maxx is better. Touchwiz vs whatever Moto uses doesn't matter. I use Nova launcher. Performance of the S3 is better. Battery of the MaxxHD is awesome and often overrules the performance and screen of the S3, although I do have an extended battery for the S3 which puts it on par with the Maxx, but it sure isn't as pocketable. I can't wait for the Samsung extended batter to hit the US. So I guess in terms of fun to use, it's the S3. In terms of ability as a communication device to carry all day, it's the Maxx. When I'm not traveling and have constant access to charging I carry the S3. If I didn't have the Maxx I'd use the extended battery on the S3 and be happy.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think it comes down to how much you use your phone and how much you want to use the features. There's no disputing the fact that the Mass has the better battery.
Smart phones now have so many features and settings that make life easier. Why not have a phone that gives you the battery life to use them all? What good is feature X, Y, or Z if you have to disable it just to make it through a full day?
That's why I went with the Maxx HD. I can use all the features all the time and not have to worry about plugging my phone in before bed (sometimes not plugging it in for a couple days).
Yes, the SIII has slight edge in performance and screen, but the Maxx gives peace of mind knowing you will always have enough battery. Processing power or pixels per inch mean nothing if your phone is dead.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i had the razr maxx and moved to the s3 whenever it came out and i was worried about battery life . but for me it was a total non issue i never had a problem making through the day with the s3 . and the power save feature thats built in the s3 really does make a difference with battery life and doesnt hurt performance in a noticible way . for me i will never go back to any moto phone .

d1c1ple

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback on these 2. Is there any list of NFC interop between these anywhere? SBEAM for photo sharing seems nice - wife has done a bunch recently

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Like many I have both. If I was forced to keep one it would be the S3 hands down. If the S3 packed a super sized battery out the gate then, it wouldn't be close. The S3's performance and screen are distinctively better. And i feel the fun factor is much higher. Do not get me wrong i like the Maxx HD but that's primarily due to its exceptional battery life. The quality feel is exceptionally high as well.

Again, based on my daily experiences with both, the S3 gets the nod for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Wife has S3, I have maxx hd. In using both I've not really seen the performance to be better on either. I like the feel of maxx in my hand, screen is more than ample and battery kicks butt. Nothing with S3 really wows me. In fact I've considered buying wife a maxx hd and sell her S3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
To add to my previous - One thing I really like about the S3 over the MaxxHD, besides the screen, is the GLASS on the screen. It's just much slicker and less draggy than the HD. It's like a waxed vs unwaxed car. You don't really notice how much better it is to use until you go back to the S3 from the HD.

edneum2

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Like many I have both. If I was forced to keep one it would be the S3 hands down. If the S3 packed a super sized battery out the gate then, it wouldn't be close. The S3's performance and screen are distinctively better. And i feel the fun factor is much higher. Do not get me wrong i like the Maxx HD but that's primarily due to its exceptional battery life. The quality feel is exceptionally high as well.

Again, based on my daily experiences with both, the S3 gets the nod for me.

When I was researching what I was going to upgrade to and after reading about the quadcore processor, i went into best buy and saw my 1st quadcore on the note 2 and i guess i was expecting the phone to jump out of my hands and fly around the room or something, but after a while of flipping through the screens and opening anything that would, i had the thought: i mean its fast but comparing quad vs dual core felt like testing driving... say a ferrari vs a lexus both 10 miles over the speed limit, sure the ferrari is faster but i have no access to an autobahn.
i guess what im saying is, extra processors and RAM don't seem tangible to me, the way battery life does. For the SIII fans or people saying other phones are faster or more fun, could you provide a tangible example of how this extra speed shows up (serious question, not rhetorical or trying to be a smartass). Does this difference only pertain to serious gamers? I still have til the end up this month if i want to exchange my maxx hd and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. TIA for any advice.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
To add to my previous - One thing I really like about the S3 over the MaxxHD, besides the screen, is the GLASS on the screen. It's just much slicker and less draggy than the HD. It's like a waxed vs unwaxed car. You don't really notice how much better it is to use until you go back to the S3 from the HD.

I have compared both and honestly don't see a real difference. Glass on my Maxx HD is really smooth, not sure difference being any smoother would make in real use.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
i guess what im saying is, extra processors and RAM don't seem tangible to me, the way battery life does.

Well said.... Theoretical vs practical vs actual.... 99.9% of users wouldn't notice the difference.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What are you doing with the phone? Do you like to root? Do you like aosp? How about camera?

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have compared both and honestly don't see a real difference. Glass on my Maxx HD is really smooth, not sure difference being any smoother would make in real use.

Try living with them both a while. It does make a difference.

edneum2

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
What are you doing with the phone? Do you like to root? Do you like aosp? How about camera?

my first smartphone was a droid X w/ contract 2yrs ago (surprise christmas present from my wife). this past september approaching upgrade was gonna be the first cell phone purchase on my buck so i started researching, prior to, had never seen a forum, didn't knew what rooting was, still no personal experience with rooting, just what i've read. definately not a developer, just got highly invested in researching my first smartphone purchase. camera is important but i use my SLR more, so phone camera is not crucial. i guess what i want from the phone is to 'get things done' ; not strictly business but not overly concerned for graphics-heavy games. important things: things like, maps/navigation, social media, news, email, all setup just how i like them. wish i could be more concise, but hope that conveys the gist of what i'm looking to do with the phone. thanks so much for any input

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton