Signal Strength

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased a new RAZR Maxx HD yesterday. I paid full retail so I would keep my unlimited data, so I to make sure everything is good with my phone.

I work in an area that is hit or miss with phone service. I only got 7 hours of service before my Maxx HD died today (which isn't unheard of in this bad of a service area but still not great) . However it seemed like it was having a harder time finding service than my original Maxx (not HD). I actually was set on getting the DNA, but the sales rep was telling me how much better signal the HD had compared to the DNA and the original Maxx.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has any signal issues with the HD. Any suggestions or complaints about signal quality on this phone?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

diablo0813

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
The only constructive thing I can add is that during the few times I have actually compared the two...my sons' RAZR M seems to struggle with staying connected to 4G, whereas my RMHD has no problems.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX HD using Android Central forums app

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I had also owned the original Razr MAXX for several months and now the Razr MAXX HD. I have not noticed any difference in LTE signal strength. I get poor reception with both at work because of the building but good reception most other places. They seem identical in signal strength.

Sent from my Droid Razr MAXX HD.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You're going to have to use your phone for more than a day before seeing its typical battery life. Luckily you have a return period in which to try it out.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My RAZR Maxx had far superior signal strength compared to my RAZR Maxx HD. The HD devices I had (4 total) had some of the worst signal I've seen in any cell phone. Verizon switched out the Maxx HD for a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and my signal has been great again. My friend is having the same issues with his HD Maxx right now and he is on his 3rd.

Motorola really dropped the ball on this one. My LTE signal on my Maxx and Note 2 hovers around -100 to -105 dBm at home. My Maxx HD hovered around 120 dBm. This is all after the OS changed and showed signal strength in the new form based on data and not bars.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
You're going to have to use your phone for more than a day before seeing its typical battery life. Luckily you have a return period in which to try it out.

That's why my question isn't about the battery life. The question is about signal strength. :)

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
It's a big country. Why don't you tell us where you live, instead of asking the entire world if there are general signal issues with the phone (which a quick search of the forums would show there is not).

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's a big country. Why don't you tell us where you live, instead of asking the entire world if there are general signal issues with the phone (which a quick search of the forums would show there is not).

I beg to disagree but results vary. The RAZR Maxx and Note II have superior signal to the HD. I've had 4 of them all with issues and my friend is on his 3rd. Its weaker in the suburbs and the city of Chicago. That's a big market for one model to have an issue while others don't.

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I beg to disagree but results vary. The RAZR Maxx and Note II have superior signal to the HD. I've had 4 of them all with issues and my friend is on his 3rd. Its weaker in the suburbs and the city of Chicago. That's a big market for one model to have an issue while others don't.

I swapped the SIM card and that seemed to help a little. How does the Note stack up against the original Maxx? I need the phone that can hold a signal the best.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I swapped the SIM card and that seemed to help a little. How does the Note stack up against the original Maxx? I need the phone that can hold a signal the best.

Right up there from my experience. The battery life is also similar even with a battery 200 maH smaller and a bigger screen.

A SIM Card swap didn't improve my HD signal at all.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
my note2 compared favorably with my old razr maxx and my friends maxx . i would say that the maxx has a small advantage in the worst signal areas but its very small .

qisdtech

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I think whatever formula that calculates the signal bars is off. I have a Wilson LTE booster in my truck, and the phone shows -45dBM signal strength but only has 4 out of 5 bars showing.

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I think whatever formula that calculates the signal bars is off. I have a Wilson LTE booster in my truck, and the phone shows -45dBM signal strength but only has 4 out of 5 bars showing.

I've noticed that the bars on my phone never gets above 2 at my house but the signal is never a problem. My wife's iPhone has more bars but I have better coverage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I finally got a replacement Maxx HD, and the signal strength was actually worse than the first. So I took it back and exchanged it for the DNA. The signal strength on the DNA is much better than the 2 HD's I tried. My wife has a Maxx HD, and she loves it but it wasn't the phone for me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I finally got a replacement Maxx HD, and the signal strength was actually worse than the first. So I took it back and exchanged it for the DNA. The signal strength on the DNA is much better than the 2 HD's I tried. My wife has a Maxx HD, and she loves it but it wasn't the phone for me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Motorola was once known for their superior radio. Lately, Motorola has fallen behind and Samsung has caught up. From your post it appears HTC is on the way too.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Motorola was once known for their superior radio. Lately, Motorola has fallen behind and Samsung has caught up. From your post it appears HTC is on the way too.

Where do you get the data to make these assertions? Are you just parroting what you think is the conventional wisdom?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Where do you get the data to make these assertions? Are you just parroting what you think is the conventional wisdom?

I don't know. I had a RAZR and RAZR Maxx and the signal was amazing. I upgraded to a RAZR Maxx HD and went through 4 of them and the signal was mediocre compared to the original RAZR variants. My friend is on his 3rd HD I believe and has noticed signal issues multiple times. My Note II has far better readings than the HD.

I'm no fanboy. I post my findings and that's it. I have more bars on my Note II but the real proof is in the dBm listing. I'm at about -100 on my Note II where I'd be at -120 on my Razr HD. My RAZR Maxx would ve around -98. This is 4G readings. Sure, I never dropped calls but I sure as hell lost data constantly. If a comparison between the RAZR Maxx and the RAZR Maxx HD isn't good enough to prove an issue than nothing is. Motorola dropped the ball.

I'm no homer and only say my findings. Your results may vary but after 7 devices between my friend and I my opinion is its awful. Not to mention the constant WiFi drops I had even though my setup was perfect.

Last edited:

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. I had a RAZR and RAZR Maxx and the signal was amazing. I upgraded to a RAZR Maxx HD and went through 4 of them and the signal was mediocre compared to the original RAZR variants. My friend is on his 3rd HD I believe and has noticed signal issues multiple times. My Note II has far better readings than the HD.

I'm no fanboy. I post my findings and that's it. I have more bars on my Note II but the real proof is in the dBm listing. I'm at about -100 on my Note II where I'd be at -120 on my Razr HD. My RAZR Maxx would ve around -98. This is 4G readings. Sure, I never dropped calls but I sure as hell lost data constantly. If a comparison between the RAZR Maxx and the RAZR Maxx HD isn't good enough to prove an issue than nothing is. Motorola dropped the ball.

I'm no homer and only say my findings. Your results may vary but after 7 devices between my friend and I my opinion is its awful. Not to mention the constant WiFi drops I had even though my setup was perfect.

I'm inside my apartment right now, and it says the 1X dBm is -73 and the 4G dBm is -101. I believe it's the 1X that does calls, right?