screen shuts off when using the phone

shaq237

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
This might be a stupid question, but is there a way to stop the screen from shutting off when using the phone? Whenever I am on the phone, the screen shuts off after a few seconds. It is annoying when I want to end the call and have to use the power button first. This takes a few extra seconds and can be awkward. I just want the screen to stay on whenever the phone call is active. I have ICS and my phone is not rooted.

Thanks!

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
What is your screen timeout value?
It will always go dark when using it up to your ear to prevent accidental button pushes.
It should come one after you take it away from your face.

shaq237

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I changed my screen timeout value from 30 seconds to a minute. I'll just have to take the phone away from my face more I guess. I was probably keeping it near my ear for too long.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
There is a proximity sensor which is intended to shut the screen off - after all, if you can't see the screen because the phone is against your face, what's the point in having it on? It just sucks battery. I don't think there is a way to defeat it.

danielsxlh

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
This might be a stupid question, but is there a way to stop the screen from shutting off when using the phone? Whenever I am on the phone, the screen shuts off after a few seconds. It is annoying when I want to end the call and have to use the power button first. This takes a few extra seconds and can be awkward. I just want the screen to stay on whenever the phone call is active. I have ICS and my phone is not rooted.

Thanks!

One thing I did was go into Settings>Accessibility and check the box that says "Power button ends call". It's nice when I'm driving because I don't have to wait for the screen to come back up to hit the hangup, just press the power button and set the phone back down.