Like my S3 but hate the battery. Should I get a Maxx HD?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm the owner of Verizon Galaxy S3. I like the phone but I'm sick of watching the battery wear down with the phone just sitting idle. Disabling data and other services is just a bandaid; no point in having a smartphone then turning off all the stuff that makes it smart. I don't want to have to carry spare batteries just to make it through a normal work day & evening.

I have no interest in a 5+" phone like the Note II.

Should I get myself a Maxx HD instead, or do you think that there will be a significant battery life improvement in the upcoming models (HTC one, S4, etc...)?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
No, that's not it. I don't need to troubleshoot my battery - the phone and software are working properly. The S3's battery simply doesn't last as long as I need it to given the amount of usage the phone gets.

What I'm basically asking is if current Maxx HD owners would buy again *today* or if they would wait to see what's coming in the next month or two. I don't want to wait longer (3+ months).

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360957088404.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360957088404.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 234
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360957114374.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360957114374.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 80
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360957142955.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360957142955.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 235
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360957156112.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360957156112.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 236
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360957172410.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360957172410.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 236

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I said graphs plural you're missing the most important one lol. Tap on the graph give me a screenshot of that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
My skyrocket with its 1850mah battery has gone 12 with 7 screen on but again I asked to see the other graph

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

gopher500

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
To answer your question yes I would buy this phone again without hesitation. Its just a good thought knowing your phone will last all day without having to tweak settings and making no adjustments.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I'll attach it first chance I get -- but wont help today (there's doing service on the in-building cell repeaters and signal sucks at the moment, including a 30-45 minute time of signal absence).

But like I said, the phone is working fine... there's no rogue software causing unknown battery drain. Things are set how I like them (Maps and all).

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
To answer your question yes I would buy this phone again without hesitation. Its just a good thought knowing your phone will last all day without having to tweak settings and making no adjustments.
Thank you. That's what I'm interested in hearing.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I went through this debate over and over before I finally settled on the Maxx HD. I'm so glad I did. I actually USE the phone and its apps because I'm not worrying about the battery dying. Instead of looking at my battery meter in fear and wondering if I'll be able to make through the afternoon before needing to charge it, I now look at my Maxx HD in awe wondering what DAY I'll need to charge it! IMO, if you have to carry around a spare battery, you've got battery problems.

I see that your battery is at 65% and it appears you've only had the screen on for less than an hour? (13% of 7 hours). I could never go back to that. On NFL championship Sunday, starting with a full charge I tried to wear my battery down. I played games, texted, emailed, read forums, surfed the internet, etc. When I finally went to bed I had over 7 hours screen time (at about 45% brightness) and my battery was holding at 24%.

If you haven't already, go to a Verizon store and play around with the RMHD. Check the signal strength of the networks using the phones internal signal meter (don't simply look at the bars.) Advantage: Maxx HD. Build quality: Maxx HD. I can't think of anything useful that the S3 does better than the RMHD except perhaps camera. Screen appearance is subjective but I might give the nod to the S3.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I went through this debate over and over before I finally settled on the Maxx HD. I'm so glad I did. I actually USE the phone and its apps because I'm not worrying about the battery dying. Instead of looking at my battery meter in fear and wondering if I'll be able to make through the afternoon before needing to charge it, I now look at my Maxx HD in awe wondering what DAY I'll need to charge it! IMO, if you have to carry around a spare battery, you've got battery problems.

I see that your battery is at 65% and it appears you've only had the screen on for less than an hour? (13% of 7 hours). I could never go back to that. On NFL championship Sunday, starting with a full charge I tried to wear my battery down. I played games, texted, emailed, read forums, surfed the internet, etc. When I finally went to bed I had over 7 hours screen time (at about 45% brightness) and my battery was holding at 24%.

If you haven't already, go to a Verizon store and play around with the RMHD. Check the signal strength of the networks using the phones internal signal meter (don't simply look at the bars.) Advantage: Maxx HD. Build quality: Maxx HD. I can't think of anything useful that the S3 does better than the RMHD except perhaps camera. Screen appearance is subjective but I might give the nod to the S3.
Thanks.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the maxx hd now. I had the s3 before and sold it to a buddy. I also tried the note 2, which I loved but not really practical on a day to day basis. I would buy the max hd again. It's the best phone that I have had in a long time. Its not too big but still big enough to browse the web and watch videos and never worry about the battery. It feels solid unlike the Samsung phones I have been using. My only complain would be the camera which is really disappointing since I have two small kids and take a lot of pictures of them. It would be hard to go to a phone without the same battery as the maxx.