[SOLVED] Firmware Update won't download on RAZR HD, RAZR Maxx HD and RAZR M (I'm on 4.0.4)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just received the CLNR RAZR HD Maxx as I wanted to switch back but when I searched for updates my phone said a 6.0 MB update was available. I proceeded to download the update but it shows no progress notification in the status bar but when I attempt to download again it says an update is in progress. I've had it going for hours and it still won't update. Any way around this? A factory reset didn't help when it got stuck in the downloading process. I've also gotten random "An unexpected error has occured. Please try again later."

Solved in POST #2

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Update won't download (I'm on 4.0.4)

I am now running Jelly Bean but I have a feeling that I won't be able to update through the phones software in the future. No matter, I am still in line for future updates. After speaking with Verizon for an hour or so and being transferred to Motorola, the representative with Motorola remembered a last ditch effort of downloading USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. Rest of Europe. After downloading this I plugged my phone into my computer and downloaded the first security update though the Motorola Device Manager software. Once downloaded, the phone will install it. Once complete, I attempted to download Jelly Bean through the phone and received the same errors mentioned in my post above. I then tried to download the Jelly Bean software through the PC but it told me I had an update in progress even though I didn't. A simple reboot of my PC solved this issue and I downloaded Jelly Bean from my computer and it installed flawlessly. Keep in mind though that you may have issues finding this software on your PC according to Motorola. It's more or less only in your Running Programs list on the bottom right side by the clock. I'm running Windows 8 if this matters to any of you but it should be the same across all Windows platforms.

I notified Verizon of this fix and they filled it out as a suggestion. I'd rather people be able to call in and have a quick fix rather than deal with the hassle I had to. Also, please note that my phone was stock so these issues had nothing to do with root access.

EDIT: This fix has also been confirmed to work on the Droid RAZR M along with the Droid RAZR HD variants.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Update won't download (I'm on 4.0.4) (Edit: SOLVED)

can you confirm the version it was updated to?

Phone system update says no updates available so all seems well. The software finds the update automatically so there is no searching around.

y8eqahy5.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

guardlights

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

OK thanks
I picked up a couple of Maxx HDs today for family, they had the same issue, and I am just trying to see what options I have.
thank you

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

OK thanks
I picked up a couple of Maxx HDs today for family, they had the same issue, and I am just trying to see what options I have.
thank you

Try the software linked above. Once installed plug the phone in and right click the icon for the Device Manager in the area by the clock and them click Update. This will check the phones version and begin to update. Once downloaded, the phone will restart and PC will say no connection. Just don't unplug until the phone is booted up.

James Lancaster

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

This worked for me as well. I purchased yesterday and spent all night trying to update it. I now have the update and it only took 7 minutes after reading this post.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

This worked for me as well. I purchased yesterday and spent all night trying to update it. I now have the update and it only took 7 minutes after reading this post.

I guess another CLNR would not have solved this issue since others appear to be having it. Must be a conflict between the security update and their initial servers. I'm glad taking the time to post my experience was able to help someone else.

Gupgup

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

THANK YOU Eclipse2K for posting the solution!!! I've been agonizing over this for the past few days!!! Just to confirm, this worked perfectly for me.

perlick

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

Trying to update through computer as stated above. When i check for updates it says update is already in progress. Is there a way to stop and cancel update on phone. Thanks

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Trying to update through computer as stated above. When i check for updates it says update is already in progress. Is there a way to stop and cancel update on phone. Thanks

Unplug your phone Reboot the PC.

OR

1. Turn Wi-Fi on the phone off.
2. This should pop up a notification saying the download is suspended and will begin shortly.
3. Reboot phone with Wi-Fi still turned off.
4. When phone is turned back on, you should receive an error shortly since you're only on a Mobile Network.
5. If no error occurs, go to Settings > About Phone > Check for Updates and attempt to download over the Mobile Network. After a few seconds, you should get an error stating that "An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later".
6. After this, connect your phone to the PC as noted in post #2.

OR

If this method fails you may need to do a factory reset and than use my method detailed in post #2. This option is the last resort and may not be necessary but just throwing it out there.

jaimslaw

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

After downloading this I plugged my phone into my computer and downloaded the first security update. Once downloaded, the phone will install it. Once complete, I attempted to download Jelly Bean through the phone and received the same errors mentioned in my post above. I then tried to download the Jelly Bean software through the PC but it told me I had an update in progress even though I didn't. A simple reboot of my PC solved this issue and I downloaded Jelly Bean from my computer and it installed flawlessly. Keep in mind though that you may have issues finding this software on your PC according to Motorola. It's more or less only in your Running Programs list on the bottom right side by the clock. I'm running Windows 8 if this matters to any of you but it should be the same across all Windows platforms.

I notified Verizon of this fix and they filled it out as a suggestion. I'd rather people be able to call in and have a quick fix rather than deal with the hassle I had to. Also, please note that my phone was stock so these issues had nothing to do with root access.

I am perplexed at this suggested fix. I downloaded the link referred to in your post to my PC. That link is Motorola's Device Manager which according to that site
"contains USB drivers and software to connect your Motorola phone or tablet to your computer via USB cable." But the part of your post that states "and downloaded the first security update" is a real head scratcher. Where is this first security update to be found? Its nowhere listed on any part of the link contained in your post, nor could I find it in any of the menu items contained on the site.? Am I missing something?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I am perplexed at this suggested fix. I downloaded the link referred to in your post to my PC. That link is Motorola's Device Manager which according to that site
"contains USB drivers and software to connect your Motorola phone or tablet to your computer via USB cable." But the part of your post that states "and downloaded the first security update" is a real head scratcher. Where is this first security update to be found? Its nowhere listed on any part of the link contained in your post, nor could I find it in any of the menu items contained on the site.? Am I missing something?

The link above will allow you to download the Motorola Device Manger. Once downloaded, install the software onto your computer and run it once installed. In the system tray on the bottom right next to your clock, look for the Motorola Device Manager icon and right click on it. There should be an option to search or install updates but I'm not sure on the exact wording. Considering there are only 2 options this should be easy enough to find. Once you select that option with the phone connected via USB (which it must be for the software to start up), the software will begin to download an update. This is the same update you would have downloaded from the Over the Air (OTA) update on your device (6 MB).

None of the updates will be found on that website. I've been told that the Device Manager software may install automatically on your PC once the phone is plugged in but my Windows 8 PC doesn't do this. All you download directly is the software found in that link for the Device Manager. All other updates will install directly and automatically but the software. I have edited my first post to clarify this just in case others are confused.

Phone.png

declark

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Same problem with Droid Razr Maxx HD. Problem solved. Thank you for your time and suggestions!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Same problem with Droid Razr Maxx HD. Problem solved. Thank you for your time and suggestions!

Out of curiosity did you do a Google Search and this thread popped up? I ask this because you have 1 post and I assume several people are doing a Google search at this time.

JBest78

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I went to Verizon last night and the rep there told me that Motorola is having server issues however there was no eta for a resolution which I find annoying since this has been going on for days now. Anyway, I told him about this fix and was warned that it could wipe my phone. I haven't seen anything regarding that so I thought I'd better check first as I don't want to have to start from scratch. Did anyone have this issue when implementing the fix?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I went to Verizon last night and the rep there told me that Motorola is having server issues however there was no eta for a resolution which I find annoying since this has been going on for days now. Anyway, I told him about this fix and was warned that it could wipe my phone. I haven't seen anything regarding that so I thought I'd better check first as I don't want to have to start from scratch. Did anyone have this issue when implementing the fix?

This will not wipe your phone. This is a fix from Motorola themselves and not a fix I personally made up.

I hate to say it but typical Verizon (or any carrier) always giving out bad information. This is why you come here instead of the store. :D

chophap2013

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Thank you so much! This has been a life saver; have been trying to update my droid razor hd for 4 days now. Apparently, not all Verizon and Motorola technicians know of this fix/problem!!??

breakbeatzen

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm glad I found this thread today it has been a big help. Thank you for finding a solution! It wouldn't update at first through the computer, but once I turned off the phones WIFI and rebooted it the update went through without a problem. Thanks again OP

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20