using too much ram?

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My memory ranges from 150 to 300mb free. It all depends on what apps you have loaded/installed. My system has always used around 40mb so I think that is normal.

The constant restarting is definitely due to low ram. The os is shutting them down to keep the phone from running out of memory. I've seen this before on my older Incredible with an ics rom.

You must have some programs that are really sucking up resources. I see you have a weather app in your notification bar along with a battery monitor of some sort. I'd check those. Weather apps are notorious.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Go Launcher appears to be the problem for me. Worked fine in Tbolt. I really don't see the added speed and buttery smoothness I expected from this phone. No real dif between this and the Tbolt other than the much better battery life. In my case I think a phone with more ram would help me even more than a faster processor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Go Launcher appears to be the problem for me. Worked fine in Tbolt. I really don't see the added speed and buttery smoothness I expected from this phone. No real dif between this and the Tbolt other than the much better battery life. In my case I think a phone with more ram would help me even more than a faster processor.

Yep. Me too. I just uninstalled it and rebooted and now have nearly 300 MB free. Settings is still really high though so I may uninstall the themes (or move them out of their default folder) to see if that helps.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Me too. I just uninstalled it and rebooted and now have nearly 300 MB free. Settings is still really high though so I may uninstall the themes (or move them out of their default folder) to see if that helps.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

The point is we purchased this "cutting edge" phone with more ram and faster processor than (tbolt in my case) yet see little to no improvement in performance. We actually have a worse camera (although improved recently) and I don't find the phone any faster or smoother. I think the tbolt on gingerbread was smoother.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The point is we purchased this "cutting edge" phone with more ram and faster processor than (tbolt in my case) yet see little to no improvement in performance. We actually have a worse camera (although improved recently) and I don't find the phone any faster or smoother. I think the tbolt on gingerbread was smoother.

Since we don't have the same phone, but the same problem, both solved by getting rid of GO Launcher, I willing to blame it on the app. I also uninstalled GO Locker and it sped up even more. All the themes are constantly running in the background too, even the ones that I was not using. I'm trying Apex Launcher now and going to figure out how to keep the GO themes from running without going through the effort of uninstalling each one. Apex has good reviews. I think GO just sucks.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I came from the Tbolt too. i had it configured exactly the way i wanted and have to say it was running perfect on the last GB update. However, this phone is a massive step up from the tbolt, imo. JB is a huge step over gb. bigger better screen, nevermind the battery life. And my maxx hd has a better camera than my tbolt ever did from my experience.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow, my tbolt camera is WAY better. Screen is bigger and HD yet colors seemed to "pop" more on tbolt imo. If I had a mini to maxi sim card converter I think I would use tbolt at least half the time. My maxx hd does have much better data reception though and much louder sound. Thats why I won't buy another htc.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Since we don't have the same phone, but the same problem, both solved by getting rid of GO Launcher, I willing to blame it on the app. I also uninstalled GO Locker and it sped up even more. All the themes are constantly running in the background too, even the ones that I was not using. I'm trying Apex Launcher now and going to figure out how to keep the GO themes from running without going through the effort of uninstalling each one. Apex has good reviews. I think GO just sucks.

As a follow up, I uninstalled GO and its Locker and some themes, installed Apex Pro, uninstalled Nova Launcher and the Systems Monitor App recommended above, rebooted and not only do I have regularly from 150-300 MB of RAM available, my settings also dropped down to 35-45. Thereby really confirming that GO is horrible. If I could only find a way to stop the themes from running in the background so I can keep them on my phone. It's very disconcerting to see them randomly come on and go off while looking at your running apps.

Eliot94

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
40mt isnt normal...if they promise that phone has 1gb ram and it shows 660/880 something is wrong....also when it shows 660/880 mt ram when YOU ARE NOT USING ANYTHING AT THE MOMENT something is clearly wrong because if phone system uses 90% from ram it means that there is programming error or it has been designed poorly and isnt customer friendly.

i hope android fixes these ram problems fast because many people cant use their phones at all even if they have payed 300€-600€ to get decent or good phone.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Don't worry about it.

Android handles RAM differently than Windows. It's normal, desirable behavior for RAM to run around 75-80% full, maybe even a little higher.

Don't be tempted to use any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, antivirus, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. They are counterproductive, waste power, disrupt system processes and degrade performance.

In short, don't try to micromanage your phone. Don't install software that attempts to either. Let Android handle things as intended. It will automatically optimize operation if you let it.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Eliot94

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
i hope that you didnt copy paste that answer coz i saw that exactly same answer from word to word in other post....give useful answer or dont give at all

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I did copy/paste it. That doesn't make it wrong or useless. Next time I'll just post a link to the previous post.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Eliot94

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Yes but thing is that my phone is lagging very badly and it keeps running apps that i dont reslly need....android is bad system if it runs apps and uses ram to that....when i fo one thing i want all to be closed and i dont want any other app to steal that ram eich i really need...

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Android is not a bad system. And you don't need to worry about what's running. Android will close apps as needed automatically. Android is very good t handling running processes and memory for you.

That doesn't mean everything is always perfect. Sometimes poorly coded apps cause trouble. Android is not perfect either. But the answer is not to fight the OS and try to force it to run in a way it was not designed to. Better to find the cause of trouble and fix it. To do this install System Panel. It's aan excellent tool that will tell you what is really going on with CPU load, RAM memory, running and inactive processes etc.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=nextapp.systempanel&token=H2OD4Isq

System Panel makes basic trouble shooting of a sluggish device simple. Look at the opening screen, 1st one when the app opens. It gives the basic information you need. With the phone at idle (apps can be open, but nothing such as an active phone call or file transfer) check CPU and RAM memory usage (pie charts upper left corner).

Normally, CPU should be less than 5-10%. CPU clock speed (top horizontal bar) varies but should be something less than max. RAM usage should be about 70-80%, unless you have recently rebooted and not yet opened apps to load RAM. You want to check these values after a fresh reboot, after some normal usage and when the phone has slowed.

If CPU is high, look at the app list on the same screen. Check the CPU usage for each app (small vertical bar on left edge, next to app icons) for offenders.

If RAM usage is too high, again on the opening screen look in the Active Applications list. Check for a running app you have not used recently. It may not have closed or cached properly and is holding RAM. If nothing seems unusual in the Active Applications, scroll down to Inactive (Cached) Applications. It may be harder to determine what belongs in this list and what doesn't, but if something looks iffy, particularly if it shows holding a lot of RAM, you can try long-pressing on it and select 'End Task'. If you select a required system process, no worry, it will just restart. If RAM usage returns to normal and/or the phone feels faster, that could be the offender.

Troubleshooting beyond this gets more complicated, but what is outlined above will find most problems causing sluggish performance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs