using too much ram?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
2uryzuny.jpg
My phone has been sluggish so I checked my running apps to see how much ram is being used. I was surprised to see most apps on the list "restarting' and the ram varying between 0 and 38 ram available. It changes as I watch. is this little free ram norml? Any suggestions about what i should do about it?

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Try clearing app cache on same setting window go to the downloaded tab, and each app clear cache.. not sure how to do the other cache clear.. tried it but kept getting the droid guy laying down with the red triangle in his belly

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No task killer. Same after system reset. Same after hard reset. I have seen it get as high as 90 but is usually around 30

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know why those apps would be "restarting..." like that? That's what seems odd. Do any of the apps in that list (further down) show a ridiculous amount of RAM being used?

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
if all those apps are restarting than either something is trying to shut them down or one (or more) of apps has a serious memory leak. I'd get a system monitor that will give you a better view of running apps so you can see what is going on.
You could try "system panel lite"

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked to make sure this setting is not turned on in developer options? "Don't keep activities"
yjuje7yn.jpg

My free RAM is always around 300mb.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
does that setting really effect ram usage?

He mentioned apps constantly stopping and restarting...not sure it directly affects RAM usage but if an app is loaded up in the front end and requires more resources to get going, it is possible it would.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know why those apps would be "restarting..." like that? That's what seems odd. Do any of the apps in that list (further down) show a ridiculous amount of RAM being used?

None use more memory than usual. I do have several syncked emails and calenders. No idea why apps restart.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I would just give up and get a new one before it is too late. This phone sounds like it has some issues that are bound to get worse down the road.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Is it normal for settings to take up 40 mb? I would never give back a phone that works at all for a lousy refurb.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Then I suggest you quit harping on this issue. If you've cleared the cache, done a factory reset or whatever else you've felt necessary to resolve the issue, then your only other option is to send it in for repair or get a refurb (which IMO, can end up being better than a new one).

Right now, my settings show usage of 40mb.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
No task killer. Same after system reset. Same after hard reset. I have seen it get as high as 90 but is usually around 30

Hey. Are you using GO Launcher? I have this same issue (sometimes less than 30 MB) and I am convinced that has something to do with it. I just noticed it so was hoping to play around this weekend to see if I could solve it. My phone starting having serious lag so I checked which apps where running and noticed the lack of memory. I also get screen refreshes and weirdly behaving widgets. I've taken to rebooting my phone nightly, as if it were my laptop. That has helped until I have more time to deal with it.

PS I just downloaded the latest version of GO Launcher and they specifically mention reducing the memory consumption. I also uninstalled GO Touch Helper since it was using a lot of memory and I wasn't even using it. I am actually at 117 MB free right now. First time since Sunday I've had this much.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Is it normal for settings to take up 40 mb? I would never give back a phone that works at all for a lousy refurb.

My Settings is at 90 MB and my downloaded GO themes keep showing up and then disappearing. Think I might install one of those apps to figure out if one (or several) has gone rouge.

My assumption had been that they restart because there isn't enough memory so the phone is partially rebooting a little at a time to keep from running out of memory.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000