Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a MAXX HD, but am in a unique position to swap it for a Galaxy S4. Should I do it?

Samsung phones have disappointed me in the past with their signal strength, but if the Note 2 is indication, this may have been solved. The battery is 2500ma, which isn't big as the MAXX HD, but should get me through an entire day...and that 1080 screen is appealing. I like the MAXX HD, but dislike the laaaag.

Thoughts?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about the S4, but I've had no signal issues with my S3. Older Samsung devices had a reputation for bad signal strength, especially on CDMA networks, but it seems they've figured it out.

I'm not that familiar with the MAXX, so I won't try to compare features, but the S4 looks to be a heck of a phone.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a MAXX HD, but am in a unique position to swap it for a Galaxy S4. Should I do it?

Samsung phones have disappointed me in the past with their signal strength, but if the Note 2 is indication, this may have been solved. The battery is 2500ma, which isn't big as the MAXX HD, but should get me through an entire day...and that 1080 screen is appealing. I like the MAXX HD, but dislike the laaaag.

Thoughts?

Please get the SG4. Tired of hearing about your so-called laggggg. :)

I guess I would want to handle one and compare the size and build quality to the Maxx HD. Also would want to see the signal strength meter reading side-by-side with the Maxx HD. I wouldn't be too sure the battery (it's 2600 mAh) would get you through the whole day what with the 5" screen. Also, I can't believe that Samsung still uses a physical home key. Still, it's got the latest bells and whistles and a very nice camera. I would be tempted. With your swap, will you have to dole out some money as well?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Please get the SG4. Tired of hearing about your so-called laggggg. :)
:p. I've had my hands on at least 10 MAXX HD's...they all have lag....and my bet is on that notorious Motorola power saving script.
I guess I would want to handle one and compare the size and build quality to the Maxx HD. Also would want to see the signal strength meter reading side-by-side with the Maxx HD. I wouldn't be too sure the battery (it's 2600 mAh) would get you through the whole day what with the 5" screen. Also, I can't believe that Samsung still uses a physical home key. Still, it's got the latest bells and whistles and a very nice camera. I would be tempted.
I actually don't mind the build quality. In a case, 'build quality' is identical, and I always case my phones.

I had the Note 2 for a bit and the signal was just as strong as the MAXX HD...and I'm really sensitive to signal issues.

I hope it'd last the whole day. I do have some days with extremely heavy usage, but my MAXX almost always has at least 20% left at the end of the day.

I'm not a fan of the physical button, but I honestly would rather have that then onscreen buttons (I think using valuable screen space for buttons is a terrible idea, heck, I use dolphin browser to get rid of the status and nav bar!)

With your swap, will you have to dole out some money as well?
I'm on a family plan an another user shattered his OG MAXX. He can't upgrade for another 2 months, I am under no contract. He asked to use my upgrade to get a MAXX HD and I'd be able to use his upgrade anytime after 2 months. He gave me $150 (cost of the MAXX HD upgrade on Amazon) and took my MAXX HD.

I picked up a new MAXX HD from Amazon and am now thinking sending it back and waiting for the S4. So, I'll get $150 towards it and still have an upgrade to use in 2 months. To be used for the Moto X phone, or iPhone...or to simply stay off contract.

cliberti

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about the S4, but I've had no signal issues with my S3. Older Samsung devices had a reputation for bad signal strength, especially on CDMA networks, but it seems they've figured it out.

I'm not that familiar with the MAXX, so I won't try to compare features, but the S4 looks to be a heck of a phone.

Not sure about you, but I had the HD Maxx, went to the SGS3 and could not use it as a phone anywhere in the SF Bay, went back to the HD Maxx and it is night and day. The issues with connectivity on the SGS3 were the same as when I had the Galaxy S 4G and the Nexus Galaxy

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd think about it. I just can't stand the amount of lag I am getting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Lag mainly in contacts and the phone app. I've tried contacts + and the go apps. Currently using the Go app which still lags.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
If my device has lag it is so minimal that I don't notice it.
Quite possibly true. :)

So you've seen CharlieL3's phone in action? How do you know he has lag? My phone doesn't have any lag either. Am I a liar?

I asked the forum members to post videos of their lag on their Maxx HD's and no one has done so.
Your just like my buddy Joe...you simply don't notice it...and that's okay...to be honest, I wish I didn't notice it either.

Just like the AMOLED blob issue. I'm sure you'll say you don't have it. Reality is, you do. You just don't notice. Here are 2 examples of why I despise AMOLED:

These pictures are taken of a solid black image on 2 RAZR MAXX HD's in the dark (representative of viewing a dark image, dark scene or fade while watching a movie in the dark). This is showing the defects that are a result of the AMOLED assembly process, it is in EVERY AMOLED screen. Enjoy:

rmhd1.jpg

rmhd2.jpg

Search for 'AMOLED BLOBS' yourself...(clicky)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Your just like my buddy Joe...you simply don't notice it...and that's okay...to be honest, I wish I didn't notice it either.

Just like the AMOLED blob issue. I'm sure you'll say you don't have it. Reality is, you do. You just don't notice. Here are 2 examples of why I despise AMOLED:

These pictures are taken of a solid black image on 2 RAZR MAXX HD's in the dark (representative of viewing a dark image, dark scene or fade while watching a movie in the dark). This is showing the defects that are a result of the AMOLED assembly process, it is in EVERY AMOLED screen. Enjoy:

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/8214/rmhd1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/1104/rmhd2.jpg

Search for 'AMOLED BLOBS' yourself...(clicky)

Still trying to understand what amoled blobs have to do with lag or no lag. Anyway, after reading several of the articles/posts at the links supplied in your condescending LMGTFY, I downloaded this app:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bS50aHVuZGVyc3QubGNkLnRlc3QiXQ&token=as0s-M81..

and tested my screen in a dark room with brightness turned to minimal. GUESS WHAT? No amoled blobs. None.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon