headphone jack not working

Christine Strayer

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
My headphone jack appears to have stopped working. When I plug headphones in, music still comes out of the phone speaker. I tested a second set of headphones to confirm it's the phone. I was wondering whether this has happened to anyone else, and whether they were able to fix it in any way.

How did you get the lint out of your phone?

Natasha Meechan

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
ok so this is whats happeing to me and its like i have to put it in a sweat spot for it to play. if i move it it will stop playing. already tried air can

That is the headphones. All it means is that the headphone wires have fallen slightly out of the rubber. Nothing you can do to the jack or the headphones, just get new ones (headphones not phone)

Twingo1974

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
My headphone jack appears to have stopped working. When I plug headphones in, music still comes out of the phone speaker. I tested a second set of headphones to confirm it's the phone. I was wondering whether this has happened to anyone else, and whether they were able to fix it in any way.

I had the same problem. I have Samsung Galaxy s6. I restarted the phone then the earphones worked again. It must have been an open app that conflicted with the sound setting.

Timothy Nicholas

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
My problem is none of the above. My Headphones click so it's in the right place and not off. There appears to be nothing inside my headphone jack, I checked for lint. I can't even find a option for disableing the headphones, and it can't be the case since I borrowed my brother's bluetooth headphones and they worked fine, but I don't want to use the bluetooth headphones, the audio quality is crap compared to my headphones. Someone help, this is beyond my reach.

taym_2

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
OMG MAN I LOVE YOU, I've been looking for fixes for about 4 months. You saved my life you don't know how happy I am. Thank you😊

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If it's a brand new phone, the easiest thing to do would be to bring it back to the store and ask for a refund or exchange. The second easiest thing would be to contact the manufacturer for warranty repair or replacement.

C Uzibeatle

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
Ended up here as result of some internet searches.

THought I'd share the story with my brand new Samsung Galaxy A 10.1 with pen tablet.

I was nearly furious and bumbed out that I may have to return the device to Amazon as none
of my headphones or external speakers would work with the audio jack. All of which worked with my ancient IPAD2.
:)Yes the weak built in speakers worked (Netflix test)

Long story short I stumbled across the solution which I found arcane and almost did not try it.
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/172833/Why+won't+my+tablet+produce+sound

TLDR. Power the device down totally. Plug in headphone to mini jack till it clicks. Power up the device while holding
the volume button down until the device boots up.
NOw the device properly detects the audio jack plug insertion and vice versa.

I wonder how many of Samsungs tablets are returned for this silly reason. It is a most odd solution.

THis is my first android device if I don't count my Sony big screen set .

Abby247

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Ended up here as result of some internet searches.

THought I'd share the story with my brand new Samsung Galaxy A 10.1 with pen tablet.

I was nearly furious and bumbed out that I may have to return the device to Amazon as none
of my headphones or external speakers would work with the audio jack. All of which worked with my ancient IPAD2.
:)Yes the weak built in speakers worked (Netflix test)

Long story short I stumbled across the solution which I found arcane and almost did not try it.
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/172833/Why+won't+my+tablet+produce+sound

TLDR. Power the device down totally. Plug in headphone to mini jack till it clicks. Power up the device while holding
the volume button down until the device boots up.
NOw the device properly detects the audio jack plug insertion and vice versa.

I wonder how many of Samsungs tablets are returned for this silly reason. It is a most odd solution.

THis is my first android device if I don't
count my Sony big screen set .

This worked for my htc after removing the lint didn't work

Murali M2

Jul 23, 2018
Visit site

Hi, im facing the same issue.
How to fix this

Last edited by a moderator: