Love/Hate how it happened

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I argued with Verizon for 3 weeks to let me upgrade early to get a new phone. A subsidized phone was my only option based on my income, I looked into buying a phone out right but did not want to be six hundred and fifty dollars in debt, and I just couldn't afford another bill to pay on each month. They decided to let me but I had to go on tiered data plan, and they gave me a $240 credit to pay for the new phone, so I went with their deal, now I'm hating I have up my grandfathered unlimited plan.

I received my Razr Maxx HD this past Tuesday, I wanted so bad to turn it on and activate it that day but it sickin me that once I did I would lose my grandfathered unlimited plan. I waited till this Friday before I activated this new hd to replace the refurbished razr maxx vzw gave me to replace the original maxx I purchased that died on me. I was having problems with the refurbished maxx not sending or receiving text, and I got aggravated at it.

I can't enjoy this new hd for the very fact I lost my unlimited data plan, it depresses me so much that I just want to say the heck with smartphones all together, and say the hell with Verizon wireless. I'm an avid smartphone lover but this last four to five weeks has just taken the fun out of it for me. What's the damn point in having a smartphone of you have to go around monitoring the damn data on it all the time. And not everyone can afford to buy 10gb of data for a million dollars a month. I'm just sad, needed to vent.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Loosing unlimited data really sucks, especially if you are forced to stick with one of the lower data packages due to income. Do you know how much data you typically use in any given month? All you can do is make the best of the situation. Many browsers are offering data compression to keep data on the low side. Opera and Chrome (Chrome Beta) offer such compression. Apps can be set to update only on wifi to save data.

It's not a good feeling to worry about your data. However, once you know what you are using you'll soon adjust and not have to worry as much, if at all.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I refuse to give up my unlimited data even though I'm usually only around 1gb/month. I just like the peace of mine of not having to worry about it.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Get over it. You would have lost it anyway unlimited will be gone forever in a few years. I have a 4gb plan and I haven't ever even used more than a gb. Just use wifi when ever you can. It's not that big of a deal, honestly.

Sent from my Razr Maxx HD

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Get over it. You would have lost it anyway unlimited will be gone forever in a few years. I have a 4gb plan and I haven't ever even used more than a gb. Just use wifi when ever you can. It's not that big of a deal, honestly.

You, sir, clearly don't use Google play music... sounds amazing, but holy hell, does it eat data!

Posted via Android Central App

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Have you looked into switching? I left VZW and my unlimited plan for the One on Tmobile. I have unlimited data and my signal is great at home and work. I was scared to leave VZW because of their great coverage but Tmobile is just as good. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm gonna have to get over it but I'm gonna **** and my moan as I go. I have used 4.8gb one time, as high as I have ever went. What I hate is I feel like I need to be so careful now, and I hate that, before I just left my data turned on all the time, now I turn it off ever time I turn the screen off. And I hate I'm paying $20 more for data that I was paying $30 a month for, I'm paying more for less, that seems to be the American way now days, bend over, take it up the azz, they leave happy and you have a sore azz.

Don't get me wrong, last night after I started this thread, I decided the hell with it, I'm gonna splurge, if it goes over, screw it, I already agreed to a two year f'ing.

I'm loving this razr maxx hd, better battery life than my regular maxx, way better. There are some things about the user interface I really don't like but with time I can adjust.

My big beef is the direction the carriers have decided to go with data, smartphones require a lot of data now days, and having that capped is not right. I just hope it gets better in the future instead of worst.

And I would love to try tmobile or sprint, but at&t or Verizon is the only two that are in my area, I live way out in the sticks.

fadepoint89

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat that you just went through. I had unlimited data and a galaxy nexus. I got ticked off at the face that I signed a w year contract and they basically forced you into that stupid share plan so I left. Paid the deactivation fees and all.

I can tell you now. Even though it sucks that you dont have the piece of mind and the cheaper data, Verizon's network is untouched compared to other carriers. We switched to US Cellular and never had service in our own home and the only thing we ever thought about was "damnit I never should have left Verizon." I switched back now and I will never leave again. I live in the middle of nowhere yet I'm rocking 4G and I have wifi at home and work so I never really have to worry about data.

Long post but as much as it sucks you would regret leaving like crazy. As far as music goes just get Google Play All Access and download any album or song that you want to your phone over wifi for only 9.99 a month.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Not when you have 32gb of space on the phone and an external microsd.

Exactly man. I use Spotify actually. But I download all my playlists to my phone because I personally don't care for keeping music in the cloud always needing data to listen to it.

I'm not really a stickler on space like lost people. Especially when you can always up grade your external storage.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as music goes just get Google Play All Access and download any album or song that you want to your phone over wifi for only 9.99 a month.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk.

Could you clarify? Are you saying you can download any song to your phone's storage and therefore own the song, i.e. transfer it to your PC or other devices? Or do you mean that you can listen to any song streaming over wi-fi as often as you desire?

As to the OP's lament that losing unlimited data sucks, yes it does, but with wi-fi virtually everywhere I easily stay under my 2 GB limit.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
BTW, op, you're not wrong for feeling mad and depressed over this. I would be pissed too.

I switched from dumbphone to smartphone right after they dumped unlimited. I was very pissed to find this out, and now I have to hoard data. Of course, I've only gone over 1gb twice, but it's depressing having to be careful away from home.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
BTW, op, you're not wrong for feeling mad and depressed over this. I would be pissed too.

I switched from dumbphone to smartphone right after they dumped unlimited. I was very pissed to find this out, and now I have to hoard data. Of course, I've only gone over 1gb twice, but it's depressing having to be careful away from home.

absolutely, we customers that have been with a company for a number of years want to feel flattered and remember a time when you did. I know you guys can remember walking into a corp store, or best buy, etc...and remember all the options you used to have, I don't know about you but that made me feel appreciated inside, made me want to keep coming back at the end of my contract. I know things aren't as great as they used to be, gas prices ranging anywhere between $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon, food prices through the roof, but for a single person with one line, Verizon just sticks it in you with no lube if a subsidized phone is your only option, like I said before, they lay beside you smoking a cigarette with a big happy smile on their corporate faces, and your laying there with a sore azz hole feeling used and abused.

Like I read in one forum, we shouldn't have to be finding ways to scheme and juggle things around just to get a damn subsidized phone, bring back all the options customers used to have, I don't know why that is so hard. I understand from what I've read, back five or ten years ago, as its said, carriers didn't have as many people on cell phones, and up until today, the number has grown, therefore they gave all the options like they used to but as the numbers grew, they where not making a profit, so they gave us this, the share everything plan.

Like I stated above, for the single person, the share everything plan is a rip off if you use more than 2GB of data a month, which I do because I have no home internet, I solely rely on my cell phone data plan. For a large family with multiple smartphones, I can see the share everything plans saving them money. Wasn't back when if you where a large family with several smart phones, you had to have a $30 data plan attached to each phone, plus the $10 a month fee to add a line to your plan. If that is correct, yes, that could add up over the course of a year, with the share everything plan, you purchase one bucket of data and everyone shares that. But for the single person, this is a huge rip off, I was paying $29.99 for an unlimited (unlimited I take as use all you want) data plan, and now in order to get a subsidized phone, I had to choose a 5GB plan for $50 a month, paying more for less.

I looked into getting home internet, but you have to add a home phone which I was unaware of, in order to get internet service, and that was going to cost me an additional $75 a month. I would never use the home phone line, and I just can't juggle $75 a month, not on my income, cause I'm so poor, I define the definition of a poor person. Anyway, day three and I am really loving this Maxx HD, this is a really well made phone, its like a tank. I just purchased a phantomskinz clear matt protection for the phone just for good insurance. I work in the dirt and mud all day long at my job, and that can really scratch the heck out of a phone if one is not carefully, and I am really anal about my electronic devices.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
absolutely, we customers that have been with a company for a number of years want to feel flattered and remember a time when you did. I know you guys can remember walking into a corp store, or best buy, etc...and remember all the options you used to have, I don't know about you but that made me feel appreciated inside, made me want to keep coming back at the end of my contract. I know things aren't as great as they used to be, gas prices ranging anywhere between $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon, food prices through the roof, but for a single person with one line, Verizon just sticks it in you with no lube if a subsidized phone is your only option, like I said before, they lay beside you smoking a cigarette with a big happy smile on their corporate faces, and your laying there with a sore azz hole feeling used and abused.

Like I read in one forum, we shouldn't have to be finding ways to scheme and juggle things around just to get a damn subsidized phone, bring back all the options customers used to have, I don't know why that is so hard. I understand from what I've read, back five or ten years ago, as its said, carriers didn't have as many people on cell phones, and up until today, the number has grown, therefore they gave all the options like they used to but as the numbers grew, they where not making a profit, so they gave us this, the share everything plan.

Like I stated above, for the single person, the share everything plan is a rip off if you use more than 2GB of data a month, which I do because I have no home internet, I solely rely on my cell phone data plan. For a large family with multiple smartphones, I can see the share everything plans saving them money. Wasn't back when if you where a large family with several smart phones, you had to have a $30 data plan attached to each phone, plus the $10 a month fee to add a line to your plan. If that is correct, yes, that could add up over the course of a year, with the share everything plan, you purchase one bucket of data and everyone shares that. But for the single person, this is a huge rip off, I was paying $29.99 for an unlimited (unlimited I take as use all you want) data plan, and now in order to get a subsidized phone, I had to choose a 5GB plan for $50 a month, paying more for less.

I looked into getting home internet, but you have to add a home phone which I was unaware of, in order to get internet service, and that was going to cost me an additional $75 a month. I would never use the home phone line, and I just can't juggle $75 a month, not on my income, cause I'm so poor, I define the definition of a poor person. Anyway, day three and I am really loving this Maxx HD, this is a really well made phone, its like a tank. I just purchased a phantomskinz clear matt protection for the phone just for good insurance. I work in the dirt and mud all day long at my job, and that can really scratch the heck out of a phone if one is not carefully, and I am really anal about my electronic devices.

Not to minimize your position, and from the way you talk, you had no option. Not exactly sure what you paid out of pocket for that phone, was it free after the credit? Not sure why VZW would give you a phone for free..... But doing the math, you paid possibly the subsidized price for the phone which today is $199. And then you are also paying an additional $20/mo for tiered data, which is $480 over the 2 year contract extension. Thats $679. Or maybe the $240 credit is $20/mo for 1 year to keep your monthly bill the same for the first year. Thats $439 over two years. You could have purchased that phone off contract for $649, and stayed unlimited.

Like I said, you probably didnt have a choice, but for $210 difference over the two years, I would have just bought the phone outright.

For me, and my family(3 smart phones), going to a shared plan is going to be worse yet, as we got in on the deal they offered for a short time where unlimited data was $9.99. For the forseeable future, I will continue to buy phones either 1) used - for the teenager, or 2) off contract.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
You, sir, clearly don't use Google play music... sounds amazing, but holy hell, does it eat data!

Posted via Android Central App

I signed up for the 30 day free trial on "all access". I noticed Google Play never stops streaming even after you exit the app. I had to go in and force close it to get it to stop streaming. Ridiculous way to code an app.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Not to minimize your position, and from the way you talk, you had no option. Not exactly sure what you paid out of pocket for that phone, was it free after the credit? Not sure why VZW would give you a phone for free..... But doing the math, you paid possibly the subsidized price for the phone which today is $199. And then you are also paying an additional $20/mo for tiered data, which is $480 over the 2 year contract extension. Thats $679. Or maybe the $240 credit is $20/mo for 1 year to keep your monthly bill the same for the first year. Thats $439 over two years. You could have purchased that phone off contract for $649, and stayed unlimited.

Like I said, you probably didnt have a choice, but for $210 difference over the two years, I would have just bought the phone outright.

For me, and my family(3 smart phones), going to a shared plan is going to be worse yet, as we got in on the deal they offered for a short time where unlimited data was $9.99. For the forseeable future, I will continue to buy phones either 1) used - for the teenager, or 2) off contract.

I'm in the same boat with the cheap data. I've had it for almost 3 years now.
I bought my Razr HD on Swappa for $340 in Jan. It was still new in the box and had all the stickers.

Until they force me off unlimited, I'll buy my phones outright. When they force me off, I'll go to Sprint. Losing my unlimited, means they lose a customer with 4 lines and data on all of them.
I'm the customer, they love.
1. Bill over $200/month
2. Never, ever, ever late paying. I always carry a credit.
3. Never call CS because I know more than they do about devices and cellular networks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX