clearing unread text messaging badge

desse3

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
hey guys,

my stock texting badge on the homescreen is showing that i have 5 unread messages, but when i scroll through, there arent any that are unread. I tried rebooting, clearing the cache/data, and erasing all messages. any suggestions?

thanks.

Square85

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem. Mine was stuck on 6. I gave up and installed the Verizon Messages app and I don't have to see the icon anymore.

Square85

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
To each their own, but that is what is so good about Android. If you don't like something, it can be easily changed. I set Nova to resemble stock Android just as the Motorola launcher did except I changed a few of the animations.

If you feel a 3rd party app isn't neccessary for the phone to function properly, sell it and buy something else.

brtemp

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Ive noticed this same issue too. To clear you'll need to go to your messages, then tap on individual messages so that only one msgs is shown. Once that us done the msg will be marked as read.

I agree with you, i too wish there was a way to turn off the 'feature'.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
If anyone is still having this issue...have you had any group messages lately? If you have the delivery reports feature on and send a message to a group, you will get an unread badge for every recipient. They will not show as new messages but will clear when you open the group message.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

PW_Irvine

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem (i.e. notification badge on my messaging icon falsely showing 1 unread message).

I have a totally stock Droid RAZR MAXX HD running 4.4.2. My stock messaging app is version 4.4.2-10. SMS is set to "Messaging" (not "Hangouts"). All settings are default. Verizon is my service provider.

I have tried all remedies suggested above, plus several of my own, all with no success.

From my own troubleshooting, I have concluded that the problem is probably KitKat-related since stopping, disabling, data clearing, cache clearing, and defaults clearing the stock messaging app all have no effect. Also, this problem started after upgrade to KitKat (never had it before). Further, after completely disabling the stock messaging app, I alternatively installed GO SMS Pro, chomp SMS, and Verizon Messages and experienced the same problem with each.

Any ideas about how to fix this problem, without having to FDR or root the phone would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

CROCKOMUNDO

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Try dragging another text icon from your apps folder. Or maybe place the phone under a falling hammer which has often been my temptation after the "upgrade" to 4.4.3:-\

Edit: @PW... I just noticed that you mention still being on 4.4.2. My similar issues only began after the automatic update to another flavor which I managed to thwart for about a month. I know you would have noticed the upgrade as the mess screen is now white and more fun to try and read. My ? is, how have you avoided it?

Last edited:

Jade Edwards1

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I found a free app in the play store that solved my problem called RESET UNREAD SMS. I installed it, made it my default, it cleared the count and then asked me if I wanted to return to my stock as the default messaging app, I said yes and everything was fixed and back to normal. I'm new so unfortunately I can not post the direct link to the play store app I used. Hope this helps someone because having 5 messages that were perpetually showing as unread was driving me insane lol

koteeswaran D

May 27, 2018
Visit site
I found a free app in the play store that solved my problem called RESET UNREAD SMS. I installed it, made it my default, it cleared the count and then asked me if I wanted to return to my stock as the default messaging app, I said yes and everything was fixed and back to normal. I'm new so unfortunately I can not post the direct link to the play store app I used. Hope this helps someone because having 5 messages that were perpetually showing as unread was driving me insane lol

There is an app named "unread sms" in playstore. Just install it. Open it & it will show you the unread sms with an option to open them in messages app. Once that is done the unread count will disappear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt