How often reboot your RAZR MAXX HD?

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have had two Motorola "gingerbread" phones that had terrible memory leaks that caused system freezes and reboots. I need a phone that is rock solid! I understand about disabling bloatware apps. Is 1 gig ram enough for JB? How much free memory can I expect?

I am waiting to see specs on Droid Ultra Maxx before I upgrade later next month. Maybe catch a price drop during RAZR liquidation.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
What Motorola GB phones? There aren't that many. There are only 4 I can think of on Verizon; BIonic, Razr, Razr M and Razr HD.

I reboot my phone every other day after I backup.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just too many years of being a Blackberry user, but I reboot mine every few days for no particular reason.

Posted via Android Central App

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
What Motorola GB phones? There aren't that many. There are only 4 I can think of on Verizon; BIonic, Razr, Razr M and Razr HD.

I reboot my phone every other day after I backup.

I had a droid 2 running Froyo that was fairly stable.. then got an OTA Gingerbread update that locked it up it every few days. Verizon said to wipe it, but it did not help. Sometimes needed to pull battery out to power it off. The power button jammed after such a reset.. during a medical emergency! Heard good things about the Droid X, so got the X2 running Gingerbread out of the box. it needs rebooting every 3-5 days due to memory leaks running gmail, browser, text, and weather widgets. cleared the cache, played with different apps, but still gets down to 125meg -> 30meg free memory after 4 days. Firefox browser will not run more than a few minutes before it crashes. I use it as my primary alarm clock and it has frozen during the night and failed to ring. I have had to reboot or go into task manager to free memory in front of iPhone users. Grrrrrr!

I read on a Motorola forum, an admin recommends RAXR HD family gets rebooted every week to keep running smoothly. I REALLY want the big battery but am tired of buggy software and OTA updates that break things. I NEED A RELIABLE PHONE!! I have very elderly "shut-in" parents that use an emergency call service that dials my cell phone. I can live without quad cores, but wonder if 1 gig memory is enough for a bunch of apps running.

I am waiting for info about Droid Ultra series.

Thanks for any insights..

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
If you need a phone now, the Razr HD is rock solid.
It is by far the best Android phone we have had in my house.
We have had the following phones : (in no particular order)
Droid X, Droid Incredible, Droid Bionic, Droid Charge, HTC Thunderbolt, Razr, Razr Maxx, Samsung S3 and Razr HD.

We still have the Bionic, the S3 and my Razr HD.
The Razr is rock solid with no issues.
It's rooted and bootloader unlocked, but still running stock.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Waaaaaaaaaaaay less often than my BB 9930! It was running OS7 - which was a lot better than OS5 or 6 - but still got tired after a week. The Maxx HD doesn't need reboots.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've rebooted mine once since last October. I rebooted my wife's last week for the first time. I bet most owners don't even know how to reboot this phone. (Power cycling does nothing.)

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You ask google that question - it's faster than asking here. But;

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/77293
I'd add that the instructions are correct, of course, but could be more complete. You hold both the power and volume down buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds. After a few seconds the phone will "click" because that same sequence is used to take a screen snapshot. But ignore that and continue to keep the buttons pressed until the phone starts to reboot (red M).

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Maybe my terminology was wrong? Reboot = forced power off... but you guys are saying that you never have to power cycle your phones to get free memory restored?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Can you tell us what "power cycling does nothing" means?

If you just short press the power button the phone goes to sleep. Everything you were doing stays in memory, so if there is some weird stuff in RAM it doesn't get cleared. Holding it down and selecting shutdown, umm, shuts it down. When you turn it back on it goes through a reboot, not just a wakeup. Or you can hold the volume down and power for force a reboot without an intervening power off.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If you just short press the power button the phone goes to sleep. Everything you were doing stays in memory, so if there is some weird stuff in RAM it doesn't get cleared. Holding it down and selecting shutdown, umm, shuts it down. When you turn it back on it goes through a reboot, not just a wakeup. Or you can hold the volume down and power for force a reboot without an intervening power off.
The only way to reboot the phone is by using the Power+Volume Down sequence. It is the equivalent of a battery pull on a phone with a removable battery. It is like rebooting your laptop.

Powering down the phone (Shutdown) and repowering up is like doing a Hibernate and wake cycle on a laptop. A lot of system and application state is stored in non-volatile memory and reused. If something in that state is corrupted and causing problems, it will be just as corrupted after the power cycle. It is NOT the same as a reboot.

With an older phone, you were told to try a battery-pull restart first if something seemed hosed. We can't do a battery pull, so we have this firmware alternate to force a true reboot.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Now that the terminology has been sorted out, I have re-booted my phone twice since I got it last December. Both times were necessary because the Pulse News app had caused my phone to freeze. I've since deleted that app.

I do a power down of the phone maybe once per month. This is done in conjunction with a recharge cycle where I've allowed the battery to get below 15% of charge. So, once the phone's battery gets below 15%, I power down the phone and charge it to 100%, which takes almost 3 hours. I've read that doing this power down/charge technique is beneficial because it recalibrates the battery meter.

Aside from the problem with the Pulse News app, I would never have needed to reboot my phone. It's been really rock steady.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, the Shutdown (power off) operation (the one like hibernate) is used to turn off all radios, as for airplane takeoff and landing. It does put the device to sleep. But when you restart the phone (as when you've landed) memory state is restored from before the power down to save time. And if an app or the system had a problem before it went to sleep, it will restart with the same problem. The reboot operation does a clean restart.

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the explanations and testimonies as to the stability of this model. Verizon's site has a 90% recommend rating on this phone, but after being burned twice with pushed updates, I have been a little concerned about "another" Motorola made Droid. I have been interested in this model for awhile, but will need to do the pocket test with a good case on it. Maybe see if gets clearance priced after new models come out.. or wait to see what Ultras bring to the table. 2 gigs of ram would be good future proofing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie