Navigation

shaq237

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The navigation app that comes with the phone disappeared. Now I only have the Google Maps app. This actually happened before I received the latest update. How can I get it back?

Thanks!

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The navigation app that comes with the phone disappeared. Now I only have the Google Maps app. This actually happened before I received the latest update. How can I get it back?

Thanks!
Navigation is merged into Google Maps now. If you don't want to use the merged app, you can go to Manage, Applications and uninstall the latest upgrade.

That said, I've been using it and although it takes some getting used to, it's actually an improvement. There are differences. There are some tutorials available through Settings that explain most of them. For instance, to navigate to an address in your contact list, you don't start with a separate Contacts menu item. Instead, you start typing the contact name in the Maps search window. But it's pretty fast since the contact will appear as soon as you've typed a few letters.

You'll also notice the Local app is gone. It's also merged with Maps in the search function. You can now swipe through the list of suggestions. In fact there a few gestures that the new Maps understands (see the tutorial). One is "shake" the phone to bring up a suggestions/complaints feedback form. So if you use the new app and don't like it just shake your phone and tell them it sucks, and then uninstall the Maps update.

Bottom line is that you can get the old stuff back but I think it's worth trying the new merged Maps app first.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Navigation is merged into Google Maps now. If you don't want to use the merged app, you can go to Manage, Applications and uninstall the latest upgrade.

That said, I've been using it and although it takes some getting used to, it's actually an improvement. There are differences. There are some tutorials available through Settings that explain most of them. For instance, to navigate to an address in your contact list, you don't start with a separate Contacts menu item. Instead, you start typing the contact name in the Maps search window. But it's pretty fast since the contact will appear as soon as you've typed a few letters.

You'll also notice the Local app is gone. It's also merged with Maps in the search function. You can now swipe through the list of suggestions. In fact there a few gestures that the new Maps understands (see the tutorial). One is "shake" the phone to bring up a suggestions/complaints feedback form. So if you use the new app and don't like it just shake your phone and tell them it sucks, and then uninstall the Maps update.

Bottom line is that you can get the old stuff back but I think it's worth trying the new merged Maps app first.

On 4.2.2 custom roms, there is oddly still a separate navigation app (and Google Earth app) even when you have the new maps app.

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks neonworm. I see info about updating apps but could not find any info about disabling updates. hmmmm?

Edit; Me thinks I got it. Now it notifies me there is an update available. I just tap X at top right to dismiss notification.
I'm just an ol' fart that prefers using the old style of the Navigator. :p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34