Hello All,

I'm using an app that requires the use of satellite gps. During that time, I don't need or want the use of my cell phone. Because the cell phone radio is on, the device is constantly searching for towers. This causes my battery to drain very quickly, and results in a one to two hour battery life.

I'm looking for a way to turn the cell radio off, while keeping the gps on. I've tried a couple of apps, like juice defender (free version) and Cell Radio Shutoff. But both kill the gps. One suggestion was to make sure the GPS was on and working before I turned the cell radio off. But, with both apps the gps was still killed.

I know that it's the cell radio causing the battery drain, because I have two identical Droid Razr Maxx phones. One has cell service, the other does not. I can run the same app at the same time with the non-cell enabled device having a much longer battery life.

The app that I'm using is Naviator. It's a mapping/location application for pilots. So, when it's in use were moving at about 140mph or so with cell phone coverage coming in and out pretty rapidly.

Thanks

KJ
    08-26-2013 07:47 AM
    From the quick settings page, turn airplane mode on first to disable all the radios, then turn the GPS back on. I do this frequently for use with the Garmin Pilot app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
    08-26-2013 08:06 AM